No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would end it ...happy." His tone was flat and his face carefully schooled into a bland mask.

to me, either do 'he said flatly' or if you describe his voice, describe a bit more or that little three word sentence seems to hang there awkwardly.

But my grammar is, you use the full stop unless you have some variation of 'said' there. If what's there can't stand in for 'he said', then it's a new sentence and not part of the quotes.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      i would end it ...happy." His tone was flat and his face carefully schooled into a bland mask.
      to me, either do 'he said flatly' or if you describe his voice, describe a bit more or that little three word sentence seems to hang there awkwardly.
      But my grammar is, you use the full stop unless you have some variation of 'said' there. If what's there can't stand in for 'he said', then it's a new sentence and not part of the quotes.
      Thanks Skydiver!
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I second what Sky said. And I like her specific version of it, too.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I third what Skydiver said.

Sara, I have nicked your lovely picture. I'm currently co-writing a Highlander story set in the Bahamas, and it will work perfectly!

I too vary said, but not as much as before. When replaced sparingly, the new word has more impact.
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Okay, campers, it's time for today's link: Write Like A Rollercoaster!

My friend Clint Harris isn't a fanficcer (that I know of) but he is a sci-fi writer whom I have known online for several years. We first encountered each other on the discussion forum at the Asimov's sci-fi magazine website, and while I abandoned that forum a number of years ago because it was becoming too snarky even pour moi, Clint and I and a number of the other regulars have remained in touch via LJ and Facebook. Clint has some pretty good advice for other writers from time to time, and I am sharing this here for two reasons: 1) what he says about the quality of a story applies to fanfic just as much as to competely original works, and 2) I know that many fanfic writers -- myself included -- also write original work and aspire to be published someday.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              Okay, campers, it's time for today's link: Write Like A Rollercoaster!
              I need to ride more rollercoasters

Although by the sound of his article a 'proffesional reader' is supposedly someone who quits by page 50!

Maybe i should write something about how so many 'action/adventure/thriller' novels today have to bascially be a "Da Vinci Code" rip off
              [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                I need to ride more rollercoasters

Although by the sound of his article a 'proffesional reader' is supposedly someone who quits by page 50!

Maybe i should write something about how so many 'action/adventure/thriller' novels today have to bascially be a "Da Vinci Code" rip off
                Absolutely.

*discreetly slides "Michaelangelo Code" manuscript into bin*
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                  Absolutely.

*discreetly slides "Michaelangelo Code" manuscript into bin*
                  T.B.H you've properly got a better chance of getting that publishe- wait, no you better throw in the "secret society" of the Knights Templar just to be sure
                  [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

I think hope that whole trend is probably over...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I liked The DaVinci Code. I liked Angels and Demons too, but I did not like Dan Brown's last one. I can't even remember the title.

Exams are marked, reports written.
                      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                        Exams are marked, reports written.
                        Let summer commence!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                          I third what Skydiver said.
                          Sara, I have nicked your lovely picture. I'm currently co-writing a Highlander story set in the Bahamas, and it will work perfectly!
                          I too vary said, but not as much as before. When replaced sparingly, the new word has more impact.
                          Awesome...make free with it! Any questions about living there/culture/etc...I'd be happy to help?

Let summer commence!
                          Commencing with the comencement... (wait...did I spell that right? ...bother! I'm going to bed...)
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

*Peeks into thread. Taking a break from a research session*

I think I've got a lot on my plate.
                            Researching for a fic inspired by the programme I saw on Egypt's lost cities...
                            A planned re-write of a fic I started a few years ago...
                            And research for a fic based in the Battletech universe...
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Let summer commence!
                              I'll second that! And even third, fourth, fifth, sixth ....

I want sunshine and warmth, ... not only for me, but so my garden veggies can grow up strong and healthy so I can put them in yummy salads.

Comment

What's goin' on on this side?
                                Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Working...
                                X