Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    No. It's nothing like the original. Different backgrounds for the characters, although they're from Robin Hood, so they remain basically the same (Robin Hood is Robin Hood, the Sheriff is the Sheriff, if you know what I mean). It's still a romance, because that's what I like to write, and some of my own characters will still make their appearances.
    "the hooded man" is *still* the hero's story, no matter who you cast as the hero of the story It *has* romance, no denying that but is the romance the thrust of "robin hood"??
    Your choice is to *change* the focus to the romantic, *that* is what I mean by saying it is *your story*

If Shakespeare turned Romeo and Juliet into a story about the war between the Montague's and the Capulet's, rather than the story of star crossed lovers, we would have a far different perception on the story. But the setting, the characters would not change all that much. The hate between the two families is palpable in the play, it is just not the *focus* of the play.
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; 23 February 2014, 07:02 PM.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

On that note, I'm to bed. Have to be up in under 7 hours. Good news--2333 words written today in my "Enlisted" fanfic!
      You go, girl! (I'm very excited to be reading this fic, so you just go ahead and spend LOTS of time on it! )
      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Scriptwriting? Me? Not a whole lot... Amara, you have far more.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          I thought you did some scriptwork in your community plays??
          My bad.
          sigpic

Comment

No, the last time I wrote a script was for a radio play when I was in college, unless you're counting scenarii I've helped come up with for some historical improv theatre, but that isn't actual scriptwriting.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

It's highly possible I hallucinated another scriptwriter among us. I'm low on sleep and high on caffeine these days.
              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

No, the last time I wrote a script was for a radio play when I was in college, unless you're counting scenarii I've helped come up with for some historical improv theatre, but that isn't actual scriptwriting.
                No, writing scenario's is a different beast, I just thought for some reason you wrote some of the scripts for your plays.
                Again, my bad.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                  It's highly possible I hallucinated another scriptwriter among us. I'm low on sleep and high on caffeine these days.
                  Someone needs some Jolt!!

"Twice the caffeine"!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
                    I used to be exactly like that - always worrying about words, phrasings, etc and taking away the focus from the story.

I don't know your personal creative process, but I realized that the problem stopped once I divided my writings into phases. And it does sound like it might work for you as well.
                    <snip>
                    Think of your stories as a child! The first version is only you giving birth to the story on paper. But you wouldn't abandon a newborn baby now, would you? Just like a growing child, the raw story then needs clothing in the form of style, it needs to learn manners (grammar) and it has to have social skills (plot; the capacity of the story to communicate with the readers).
                    One by one, you need to teach all that to your story and be patient as it (and you yourself) grow in the process. And only after all of that is done, you release it into the world to allow it to stand on its own.
                    <snip>
                    It could also help to have so-called 'cheatsheets'. I have my desk plastered with little sheets of paper. One for example holds all the possible words you can use instead of the word 'say' - depending on the notion you want to express. Using that, you avoid repeating yourself by using "s/he said" over and over and over again. Another one lists synonyms for common sentence beginnings, and so on and so forth.
                    <snip>
                    And most importantly: Don't get discouraged if people don't like your style. Some people don't like Stephen King novels while others consider him a master. Many people consider Stephenie Meyer's style simplistic, others praise her for having a poetic style. There is no right or wrong. Just find your style through experimentation. Some people will like it, and those who don't won't. That's just the way it is.

Okay, that was a long pep talk, and I don't know if it helped, but maybe the Stephen King thing will serve as an encouragement for you as well.
                    This was a great pep talk, and I appreciate all the time and thought you put into it.
                    I copied the cheat sheet you had into my hard drive for future reference.

One of the biggest problems I encounter is having pretty good ideas on my general plot (Man seeks new home, travels to a distant port, gets caught in a storm, faces adversity, makes it to the port in the end), but the specifics vex me: Does many meet travelling companions along the way? what do they say to each other? are they waylaid by bandits? Does he meet the love of his life? Oh...look...a rabbit trail! ...and are pantloons correct for this time period? ...would he have eaten flat bread????

I hope that makes sense.

But your pep talk gave me some ideas: I can organize my general plot points, and work under those sections to figure out the subplots and dialogue. Also, I'm going to try to cut myself a little slack and just TYPE with the words that initially come to mind -it is not set in stone, so going back and rewriting is fine. I worked on a chapter last night, and when I reread it, I realize that it's lacking depth because there is not a lot of SOUL woven in yet: but it's fine because I will go back and do that. For now, it is enough that the initial idea is down on paper. I'm moving on to the second chapter with the narrative and dialogue. I will go back in and "paint" in the emotional subtext later, ultimately changing and expanding the chapters as I add finishing touches.

*iz hopeful*

Originally posted by fems View Post
                    Aw, poor SaraB! I get your frustration, sometimes I just sit starting at my cursor because I can't get past a point in the scene, even though I already know what should happen in the rest of the scene. I might try some writing later today to continue where I left off yesterday, but at the moment my internet isn't working, so I don't know how good it'll be if I don't have access to my resources, like dictionaries and such...

so sorry -that really stinks.

I've been having a tough writing year, myself. I have a LOT more respect now for both single moms, and for those who can write through any family adversity.

Today is not so bad. Mom actually has been eating, albeit only a wee bit, and it gives me hope that she'll be around at least until after the boys and I visit in March. With that stress off (and letting my soul be at ease that if something happens sooner, there's really nothing I could do about it), I've actually been writing a bit this morning. So far, just over 600 words.

But listen to hubby, Sara--he's right. There are those Enjoli women who can do it all and still look gorgeous; there are those of us who can do some of it and have that "just rolled out of bed" look. Doesn't make the Enjoli women any better--well, maybe it does, but how much are they truly enjoying? Personally, I think people who struggle and have imperfections are FAR more interesting.
                    Thank you! Thanks EVERYBODY!

I can't get my mind out of the gutter. Don't you realize what would happen to the gutter without me?
                    *giggle-snort*

Too much in my head and not enough focus to get it down on paper is my problem. I'm revising a script. Writing is awesome. Re-writing makes me want to claw my eyes out.
                    *this* as well for me.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by whytewytch View Post
                      on that note, i'm to bed. Have to be up in under 7 hours. Good news--2333 words written today in my "enlisted" fanfic!
                      fantastic!!!!
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        "the hooded man" is *still* the hero's story, no matter who you cast as the hero of the story It *has* romance, no denying that but is the romance the thrust of "robin hood"??
                        Your choice is to *change* the focus to the romantic, *that* is what I mean by saying it is *your story*

If Shakespeare turned Romeo and Juliet into a story about the war between the Montague's and the Capulet's, rather than the story of star crossed lovers, we would have a far different perception on the story. But the setting, the characters would not change all that much. The hate between the two families is palpable in the play, it is just not the *focus* of the play.
                        *now wants to re-write R&J as an adventure/war story* Too bad those all turn into romances for me, anyway.

You go, girl! (I'm very excited to be reading this fic, so you just go ahead and spend LOTS of time on it! )
                        Get out your fan. You know my hormones are on overload, so it'll be quite...detailed.

I thought you did some scriptwork in your community plays??
                        My bad.
                        I thought the same as Gatefan.

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                        This was a great pep talk, and I appreciate all the time and thought you put into it.

One of the biggest problems I encounter is having pretty good ideas on my general plot (Man seeks new home, travels to a distant port, gets caught in a storm, faces adversity, makes it to the port in the end), but the specifics vex me: Does many meet travelling companions along the way? what do they say to each other? are they waylaid by bandits? Does he meet the love of his life? Oh...look...a rabbit trail! ...and are pantloons correct for this time period? ...would he have eaten flat bread????

I hope that makes sense.

But your pep talk gave me some ideas: I can organize my general plot points, and work under those sections to figure out the subplots and dialogue. Also, I'm going to try to cut myself a little slack and just TYPE with the words that initially come to mind -it is not set in stone, so going back and rewriting is fine. I worked on a chapter last night, and when I reread it, I realize that it's lacking depth because there is not a lot of SOUL woven in yet: but it's fine because I will go back and do that. For now, it is enough that the initial idea is down on paper. I'm moving on to the second chapter with the narrative and dialogue. I will go back in and "paint" in the emotional subtext later, ultimately changing and expanding the chapters as I add finishing touches.

*iz hopeful*

Thank you! Thanks EVERYBODY!
                        You're welcome! Kim's advice was definitely awesome--it's good to be reminded sometimes of things we've heard before and know, but for some reason, don't remember when we need to.

As to the bolded, it happens to me, too, and I'm sure it happens to everyone. What I do if I *don't* know something is put it in as it is in my head for now, then highlight it somehow. I'll either put it in a different font/size or a different color or I'll go into the editing mode on Word and actually put a note there. I'm bad with dialogue, too. Like I said, I write romance, so there are a lot of "beginnings" going on, but it's been over 20 years since I've had one of those conversations with a strange man.

fantastic!!!!
                        Awwww, thanks!

On a side note, fed the ducks with my LB last night. Nothing like being surrounded by dozens of feathery, beaky, hungry critters who practically take it out of your hand. Just saw a couple outside my front window and had a flash of "The Birds" go through my head.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I hope that makes sense.

*iz hopeful*
                          Mission successfully completed...

You're exactly right. What you say about a chapter lacking depth is what constantly happens to me. Mostly that is, because as the author you have such a fixed idea of the story in your mind, that you have to remember that your readers don't. They don't know what the characters are feeling in the light of events.
                          So once you get past that initial writing phase that you do as an author, try to revise from a reader's POV. That often makes you realize that something is missing, that you need to expand dialogue - or in my case even add entire chapters to make a character's motivations more clear.

And it is also great, because you may come to realize that on some days, you are feeling more like writing, while on others you are feeling more like revising. They're both very different styles of work, but usually when I feel too worn down to write I am really good at revising, and vice versa: when revising bores me, I am really good at writing a new chapter.

Are you a fan of literature in general? Why don't you go and visit some author's readings? They are really great, because usually (depending on the author) there are not that many people there. I have never been to one where more than 30 people attended.
                          Normally, after reading a couple of chapters from their newest book, they offer a Q&A session which is an excellent opportunity to ask them about their creative progress: how they write? how do they deal with writer's blocks? and so on and so forth.
                          You don't have to take their advice at face value - they are not all-knowing God's after all. As I said before, every author has a different way of doing things. But it is really helpful to get ideas on how to do things, and maybe some will even work.

And you will see that a lot of authors will openly admit to struggling with the exact same problems! And almost every author has devised his or her own personal strategy to deal with writer's blocks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Forgot to add--my RH is starting out before RH, with the previous generation. ATM, I'm writing the Sheriff's backstory; before he was the bad guy, he was a man and I'm curious as to what made him the way he was.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
                              Mission successfully completed...

You're exactly right. What you say about a chapter lacking depth is what constantly happens to me. Mostly that is, because as the author you have such a fixed idea of the story in your mind, that you have to remember that your readers don't. They don't know what the characters are feeling in the light of events.
                              So once you get past that initial writing phase that you do as an author, try to revise from a reader's POV. That often makes you realize that something is missing, that you need to expand dialogue - or in my case even add entire chapters to make a character's motivations more clear.

And it is also great, because you may come to realize that on some days, you are feeling more like writing, while on others you are feeling more like revising. They're both very different styles of work, but usually when I feel too worn down to write I am really good at revising, and vice versa: when revising bores me, I am really good at writing a new chapter.

Are you a fan of literature in general? Why don't you go and visit some author's readings? They are really great, because usually (depending on the author) there are not that many people there. I have never been to one where more than 30 people attended.
                              Normally, after reading a couple of chapters from their newest book, they offer a Q&A session which is an excellent opportunity to ask them about their creative progress: how they write? how do they deal with writer's blocks? and so on and so forth.
                              You don't have to take their advice at face value - they are not all-knowing God's after all. As I said before, every author has a different way of doing things. But it is really helpful to get ideas on how to do things, and maybe some will even work.

And you will see that a lot of authors will openly admit to struggling with the exact same problems! And almost every author has devised his or her own personal strategy to deal with writer's blocks.
                              To add to this--you can also get help by joining a writer's group, either locally or online. Or both.

And I'm actually revising a bit of what I wrote yesterday this morning. One of my scenes progressed WAY too fast, and considering the feelings I'll be adding, there needs to be more of a base than I had written. I copied and pasted last night's doc to a new one, and now I'm adding in the extra bits before I eventually save over the original. That's a nice, easy way for me to keep track of my word count when I'm fleshing out scenes.
                              sigpic

Comment

My problem with plotting is more that I can't be concise enough in my notes and thus end up with basically half a scene written in notes. For one of my fics (unpublished) I had a Sam-centric chapter where she was injured and before I started writing the story, I was plotting all the events/chapters in a timeline and I kept adding things as they came to me (both about pain but also medical stuff) for that chapter; in the end it was close to a thousand words and some of the sentences I could practically copy to the story, although I had to change tenses as I tend to write my notes in present tense and the story in past tense.
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X