No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot bunnies are evil. Mine are at least. I think the last small plot bunny that came to me was a 20k word story

What i try and do now is incorporate any plot bunny i get into whatever i'm working on. Not always easy, but it's a way to satisfy its hunger without destroying my fragile grip on reality.

What about spontaneous solutions? the Eureka moments? i LOVE those. I recall when i was writing Occupational Hazard i kept thinking. "okay.. Cam's on the ground now, what does he do in the middle of a warzone?" and one day while making my tea i just blurt out as i'm thinking it "he drops a brick wall on them." and voila!

Actually here's a more techy quesiton too, what do you do most of your writing on? 90% of my writing is on my tablet/laptop, but i'm finding myself wishing for something lighter i can whip out anywhere and write.
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

My bunnies have left me, save for the one telling me to finish Manhood.
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I use a laptop, but I really would like to get a netbook at some point, so as to have something more portable that I could take with me easily. Especially in the summer months, when I may well want to go outdoors and write, perhaps on the deck or patio of a favorite restaurant or bar, or in the park.

My plot bunnies have lately come in two varieties: the first kind, which are elements I can incorporate into my current novel (yes, my current fannish WIP is well over 100k words already ) and the second, which are mostly turning out to be elements of its sequel or possibly later stories set in the same series.

I wouldn't mind having more "eureka!" moments.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
          What about spontaneous solutions? the Eureka moments?
          They come to me ... when I'm in my bathtub with no paper or pen in my neighborhood. So I generally have to scramble out of the water to write it down somewhere, or repeat the idea out loud until I can write it down. And it's not just writing... creative ideas for graphic design stuff for my real life job also tend to come in my bathtub... ...I should have paper with me at all times. Water-resistant paper at least...

100K and counting... check - I lovingly call it the fic from hell.

It's one that's never going to be finished, or published... it's the first draft combined with several rewrites and then some. One moment I like it, love it, and the next I hate the whole thing.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My plot bunny ran away.

Apparently my fiancee can sense when that happens as he likes to talk a lot almost only when this happens.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I've had a long and tiring day and no time to write or play.

*sigh*

See you all tomorrow!
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                I've had a long and tiring day and no time to write or play.

*sigh*

See you all tomorrow!
                *hug*

Comment

And yet, I have the opposite happing to me. In fact, the rabid varmint is making my life hell. It wants to be heard, and makes itself know but the moment I go to the dialog of the piece…. It’s like I am hitting a brick wall. And I am going crazy for it as the rabid bunny keeps nipping the cat’s tail!

I’ve done everything mentioned. Go for a walk, take a hot, long bath, write something else, read… ect….

Ugh, I am going crazy
                  This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

I will write in front of the laptop, but also good old fashioned pen and paper. Since i can write slower by hand, i tend to think better.

I have occasionally had OMG moments writing fic...where you have this 'YES!!!!' bit and things just work out. It's great.

sometimes my best ideas/moments can come when i drive long distances - highway driving, or when i'm walking. Most of my brain can unplug and my mind can be free of distractions and i can just let the plotting happen
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AllyCat View Post
                      And yet, I have the opposite happing to me. In fact, the rabid varmint is making my life hell. It wants to be heard, and makes itself know but the moment I go to the dialog of the piece…. It’s like I am hitting a brick wall. And I am going crazy for it as the rabid bunny keeps nipping the cat’s tail!

I’ve done everything mentioned. Go for a walk, take a hot, long bath, write something else, read… ect….

Ugh, I am going crazy
                      Sounds like its time for a storyboarder.

Comment

I tend to write all my basic ideas away from my PC.
                        I have a pad of paper which has basic stories which I then type up and modify if required.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Hey I just usually tend to act the scenes out sometimes but I generally computerize everything when I actually go down to write. And I do a lot of the other things too. I walk, I think about novels and fics on long car rides, almost anytime when I am blogging and stuff and discuss technical and general plot points with my Dad.

You see, normally my only real advice on this subject is that I write very general plot points when it comes to my writing and then when I write I follow those plot points as objectives that I want to achieve with the chapter in question and just generally let the muse flow through me. Some days its good and epic, some days its not. And also if I have a really epic specific plot point or quote I jot it down in a misc section.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                            What about spontaneous solutions? the Eureka moments? i LOVE those.
                            Oh yeah, those EUREKA moments are pure deep fried gold. Last one was how to get Hallowed Turf down from a eighteen chapter to a ten chapter storyline. Without skimping on the character moments, exploration, action or anything else thats important that i can't think of right now!! (....cake?)

Although at the moment i've hit the wall wondering whats going to happen in the last four chapters (which will also have to wrap the series up! )

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            My plot bunnies have lately come in two varieties: the first kind, which are elements I can incorporate into my current novel .... and the second, which are mostly turning out to be elements of its sequel or possibly later stories set in the same series.
                            ^ same here. I have trouble breeding 'original' plot bunnies. :/

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                            My plot bunny ran away.
                            or the original blot bunnies ran away because i forgot to write it down (let distractions get in the way!). I mean, i've just moved into a new place (woop!) and i had this amazing idea for an original space opera, and of course i'm at work so i can't really write it down (customer services/high risk food area. Lots to do!).

And then a week later when i remebered i had an amazingly orginal idea: *nothing*. Couldn't remeber a THING!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            They come to me ... when I'm in my bathtub with no paper or pen in my neighborhood.
                            Always the way! The best ideas happen when i'm in waking up in the shower! Or absoutly dog tired at night ("must ssssslllleeeeeeppppp not draw!")

Originally posted by AllyCat View Post

Ugh, I am going crazy
                            Okay, okay, okay. First of AllyCat B-R-E-A-T-H its only a fan fiction (*cocks shotgun* *defends self* you know what i mean! ).

Don't let it take over.

Maybe if its getting out of control, the best idea is to put the idea down, or in a folder, or somewhere out of the way...

and start again

Yep. Start Again. Start over from scratch. From zilch. Nothing. Nadda. Blank Page. Chapter One. Chapter Zero. The Prologue! (The front cover?).

Just start with the characters, and your main story idea. Keep this idea small and brief, like the blurb on the back of a book, to start off with.

And then go from there, but go down a new route building on your experience (and problems) from the rabid plot bunny infested idea. Don't follow the old idea at all. Forget the old story because things. can. be. changed!!

That scene that HAS to be in Chapter Two? ... Why not stick it in Chapter One?

That character who can-not-be-seen because its meant to be an EPIC twist!! Scrap them and go with a different character you can introduce/hint at before hand.

That hilariously funny scene thats not really relevant but you want to keep it anyway? Yep, adios amigos don't need you anymore!

I've done it before, and wow did it help with the problems!
                            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                              Hey I just usually tend to act the scenes out sometimes but I generally computerize everything when I actually go down to write. And I do a lot of the other things too. I walk, I think about novels and fics on long car rides, almost anytime when I am blogging and stuff and discuss technical and general plot points with my Dad.

You see, normally my only real advice on this subject is that I write very general plot points when it comes to my writing and then when I write I follow those plot points as objectives that I want to achieve with the chapter in question and just generally let the muse flow through me. Some days its good and epic, some days its not. And also if I have a really epic specific plot point or quote I jot it down in a misc section.
                              I definitely jot things down in sections while I write. And I go over dialogue and descriptive scenes in my mind while driving, showering, or really anytime. I do lots of visualization, too. I never used to outline, and while I may outline things to some extent these days, I still have to let the Muse flow and do her thing, or I get nowhere. Half the time lately, I feel almost as though my characters are telling me their stories - they dictate and I write! I love it when that happens.

After writing for as many years as I have, and struggling with some of it, I am finally finding this fanfic I'm writing - which is my FIRST fanfic EVER, to be the project that works best and most completely for me. With luck I can transfer what I'm learning from it back to my original work, as I originally embarked on fanfic as a writing exercise to enable me to iron out some problems I was encountering in my writing methodology. But just as importantly, if not moreso, I'm enjoying the process tremendously, and as a bonus, I get to entertain people right now with my writing, and get feedback into the bargain. It's definitely a win-win situation.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                                I definitely jot things down in sections while I write. And I go over dialogue and descriptive scenes in my mind while driving, showering, or really anytime. I do lots of visualization, too. I never used to outline, and while I may outline things to some extent these days, I still have to let the Muse flow and do her thing, or I get nowhere. Half the time lately, I feel almost as though my characters are telling me their stories - they dictate and I write! I love it when that happens.

After writing for as many years as I have, and struggling with some of it, I am finally finding this fanfic I'm writing - which is my FIRST fanfic EVER, to be the project that works best and most completely for me. With luck I can transfer what I'm learning from it back to my original work, as I originally embarked on fanfic as a writing exercise to enable me to iron out some problems I was encountering in my writing methodology. But just as importantly, if not moreso, I'm enjoying the process tremendously, and as a bonus, I get to entertain people right now with my writing, and get feedback into the bargain. It's definitely a win-win situation.
                                Well of course because you are actually getting feedback for your work and actually getting to improve yourself based on those sugestions and you are publishing.

When I was younger (Like 12) I hated outlines too but now...while I still do not like them and could probably get away with not doing them they are still a nice comfort and a fall back. But the thing that I need and I HAVE TO have in my writing? Character charts and bios. It is so annoying that, in a published work no less on fan fic, that one character suddenly changes names.

Comment

Working...
                                X