Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    That's great news...

I'm in a bit of a funk at the moment. A friend of mine died a week ago. And I couldn't think of anything to write in a tribute thread that had been set up for her on another forum that I am a member of. I really was lost for words.
    Best advice I can give; remember the good times you had with your now gone friend, its what they would want. No use looking on the fact that they are dead, just remember the good times you've had with the person.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

That's great news...

I'm in a bit of a funk at the moment. A friend of mine died a week ago. And I couldn't think of anything to write in a tribute thread that had been set up for her on another forum that I am a member of. I really was lost for words.
      Sorry to hear that, Starfist. I agree with Princess A--just tell about the good times, the memory of one of the best times you had with her or him. {HUGS}
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

All I can say at the moment that Gateworld is helping me through this little 'funk' of mine.

Part of Tasha Yar's message at the end of 'Skin of Evil' comes to mind... "Death is not an end. It is the beginning of good memories."
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

All I can say at the moment that Gateworld is helping me through this little 'funk' of mine.

Part of Tasha Yar's message at the end of 'Skin of Evil' comes to mind... "Death is not an end. It is the beginning of good memories."
          Or if you go by TS Elliot: "What we often call the beginning is often the end, what we call the end is often the beginning, the end is where we start from" applying it to the death of a friend works similar because it is the end of one life sure, but it is the beginning of a new adventure!
          Last edited by Princess Awinita; 13 October 2012, 05:22 PM.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

That is a great quote. Life is an adventure. And to add another quote which may describe how I'm feeling... "Life is but a dream..."

And I know my friend would say I'm being silly feeling the way I am at the moment. But she was part of my life and I'll miss her. As in fact a lot of people whose life she touched will.
            She will be remembered that I am certain.

Comment

That is a great quote. Life is an adventure. And to add another quote which may describe how I'm feeling... "Life is but a dream..."

And I know my friend would say I'm being silly feeling the way I am at the moment. But she was part of my life and I'll miss her. As in fact a lot of people whose life she touched will.
              She will be remembered that I am certain.
              {{hug}}
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

*both jealous and inspired by FH...SaraB stomps off to go write something...anything*
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I've been trying to write. But I'm distracted by the fact that in flossing last night I yanked too hard and popped a wire of my permanent retainer loose. Which means that I have a big old bended loop of wire in my mouth poking at me. Luckily it's not an end of a wire, so I can't stab, poke, or cut myself on it, but I can feel it pulling my teeth in all sorts of wrong directions.

*sigh*

Comment

Writing up racial information is a hard thing to do, having to think up naming conventions, magics, etc.

Who else here runs headlong into the window when they make their own races ? if there are those that do I mean

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                      I've been trying to write. But I'm distracted by the fact that in flossing last night I yanked too hard and popped a wire of my permanent retainer loose. Which means that I have a big old bended loop of wire in my mouth poking at me. Luckily it's not an end of a wire, so I can't stab, poke, or cut myself on it, but I can feel it pulling my teeth in all sorts of wrong directions.

*sigh*
                      You mean one of those retainers on the back of your teeth to keep them in check after you've had braces? I have one of those and boy, how annoying is it when one end gets loose! Once there was a hair from my toothbrush stuck in it and I couldn't for the life of me get it loose, tried everything! Of course, those things always happen in the weekend or when you're too busy to get it fixed, so I was walking around with it for a few days before I could an appointment with old orthodontist to get it fixed.

As a matter of fact, one end from my upper retainer let loose months (if not a year) ago, but I haven't been able to make myself get it fixed. It's just a few millimeters and it still fits in the (hardened) glue that should have kept it in place, but sometimes I have to push it up a bit. I'm just not in the mood to go there, get it pulled again, have them remove the glue, clean it, apply new glue and put in back, or worse, remove the thing in its entirety to replace it with a new wire!
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        You mean one of those retainers on the back of your teeth to keep them in check after you've had braces? I have one of those and boy, how annoying is it when one end gets loose! Once there was a hair from my toothbrush stuck in it and I couldn't for the life of me get it loose, tried everything! Of course, those things always happen in the weekend or when you're too busy to get it fixed, so I was walking around with it for a few days before I could an appointment with old orthodontist to get it fixed.

As a matter of fact, one end from my upper retainer let loose months (if not a year) ago, but I haven't been able to make myself get it fixed. It's just a few millimeters and it still fits in the (hardened) glue that should have kept it in place, but sometimes I have to push it up a bit. I'm just not in the mood to go there, get it pulled again, have them remove the glue, clean it, apply new glue and put in back, or worse, remove the thing in its entirety to replace it with a new wire!
                        That's exactly what I mean. And the orthodontist who put it in similarly isn't open on the weekends. I personally think they should be, because even my office is open for a half day on Saturday for emergency calls.

I've had way too many nightmares about my teeth falling out. When I was flossing, I must have sliced a gum or something, because all of a sudden I saw blood and the wire was bent and I nearly had a panic attack. It took me a long looooong moment for me to pluck up the courage to tap the tooth and make sure it was all wiggly and loose.

Now I gotta figure out how I'm going to get to the orthodontist this week. My writing class starts on Monday, I work til 6pm the rest of the week, and while I don't go in until noon on Friday, it's only because I already a dentist appointment for that morning...

Comment

My teeth falling out is one of my biggest fears and I too often have dreams about it. Guess it leads back to when I fell on my chin as a kid and my mouth was so full of blood that no one could tell if I still had my (lower) teeth. I certainly couldn't feel them, just my gums and the blood but once in the hospital it turned out that my tongue was actually stunned from the blow (probably got trapped between my teeth when I hit the ground) and that's why I couldn't feel a thing; all my teeth were still present! It probably also explained why no one appeared to understand a word I was saying in between the crying, even though I thought I told my teachers pretty clearly that they didn't have to call my mother at home because she worked at the hospital - eventually my sister had to explain. Although one side had shifted slightly, hence the need for braces later on.

Still, I have nightmares about my teeth falling out on occasion or my mouth being full of blood and not being able to feel my teeth... then I wake up and it's just such a huge relief! But yeah, totally understand the scheduling issues; my former ortho is in the city I grew up in, so that makes it pretty tricky to make an appointment with all the traveling time. Fortunately the few times I needed to get it fixed I could often schedule it late on a Friday afternoon, so I could combine it with a visit 'home'.

Last time I had an appointment with him (or more like his assistant) I managed to pick up a bike from my mother's house (she was still at work), which is only about a kilometer from the train station to go over to his practice, but then I went the wrong way! They had renovated the building and the neighborhood had changed a bit since I was last there, even though it's only one street (~500 meters) away from my old high school, and I just didn't recognize it.

It would be much easier if I could just have an orthodontist fix it here, but it's such a hassle to get one when I only have a problem once every few years. Plus, some orthos here are of the opinion you can remove the retainer when it starts to "fall out" and that it has served its purpose, while others (like mine) prefer to keep it in as long as possible and fix it up when something's wrong.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                            Writing up racial information is a hard thing to do, having to think up naming conventions, magics, etc.

Who else here runs headlong into the window when they make their own races ? if there are those that do I mean
                            I actually have tried my hand at writing alien races before, although I've only dipped my toes in this particular pool. It is difficult to imagine all the differences and how it will affect them in the everyday ways that they do things.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

In a piece of my original fiction I did come up with an 'Alien' race. I was going to call the J'hn (named after my younger brother). Pronounced 'Jay Hun'. But coming up with your own race of beings is great, because they are your own special creation.

Comment

In a piece of my original fiction I did come up with an 'Alien' race. I was going to call the J'hn (named after my younger brother). Pronounced 'Jay Hun'. But coming up with your own race of beings is great, because they are your own special creation.
                                Too true. The one I'm working on now is for my NaNo fic. They are the Angelli, a race of what we call Angels. I'm working on the physical and psychological differences, as well as the social & governmental & religious ones. The name might even change, but it works for now.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X