No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also plyed D&D at school. If I remember my character was an Elf.

But I used to run a 'Traveller' campaign as I was more into space related RPGs.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I played Traveler a few times, too. Fun game.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
        I played Traveler a few times, too. Fun game.
        It was enjoyable. I then progressed on to MegaTraveller. With a campaign set during the Civil War in the Imperium.

Comment

I never got the chance to play D&D or any similar type of game. I think I would have enjoyed it though, going by what I've heard and my preferences in video games.

As far as the Imperium goes though, I played 40K a few times though, but I never was very good!
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The Traveller Imperium was a far different place from the Imperium of the WH40k universe.
            I'm a fan of the WH40k universe. I still have some original WH40k figures which I bought when the first edition of the game rules came out.

Comment

It's our son's birthday, so have some cake before the guests arrive!

Cheers!
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                The Traveller Imperium was a far different place from the Imperium of the WH40k universe.
                I'm a fan of the WH40k universe. I still have some original WH40k figures which I bought when the first edition of the game rules came out.
                Writing in Warhammer {either 40K or Fantasy} is always fun, it is like Star Wars, constantly expanding its universe, so one can write about one character, in one era, say 40K, then write a Warhammer Fantasy fanfic that is the start of said 40K characters bloodline or whatever.

Its fun

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                  I didn't think you were old enough to remember Rogue Trader Starfist??
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Another system for Alignment if you folks are interested in such things is the Palladium system, which is much broader in its catgories than the reletively narrow "core definitions" of the D&D alignment system.

Brief summary:

Kevin Siembieda came up with an alternative alignment system for his Palladium System, the basis for the ROBOTECH RPG's and the popular RIFTS game of the '90s. The Palladium alignment system is divided into categories of Good and Evil, like AD&D's system, but instead of Neutral alignment, Palladium has "Selfish," for characters who are not exactly out to harm others; but who are just "looking out for Number One."

Each category is then subdivided further. Good into Principled and Scrupulous: Selfish into Unprincipled and Anarchist; and Evil into Miscreant, Aberrant and Diabolic. In the system, each category is given a list of qualities to help define it; how the character regards things like lying, violence, and situational ethics. The list allows the GM and the player to compare the different alignments and get a better feel for them.

For example, a Principled charcater will always keep his word, avoid lies and never kill or attack an unarmed foe. An Unprincipled character would keep his word of honor, but would lie and cheat if necessary, especially to those of anarchist and evil alignments. He would not kill an unarmed foe, but would take advantage of one. A Miscreant charcter will not neccessarily keep his word to anyone, will lie and cheat indiscriminately, and would kill an unarmed foe as readily as he would a potential threat or competitor

The Palladium alignment system isn't as elegant or symmetrical as the AD&D system, but it's a bit more realistic and easier to apply.

Hope that helps
                    sigpic

Comment

Interesting. Do you have a link to it? I'd check it out.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Interesting. Do you have a link to it? I'd check it out.
                        I do:
                        http://www.scribd.com/doc/11469663/P...G-Main#page=25

(I love Scrib'd)

Edit to add:

You can find many of the Core rulebooks for a wide variety of RPG's on Scrib'd, so those of you who were ever interested in RPG's it is a GOLDMINE of resources, in pretty much any genre that takes your fancy. If you can't find something you like, drop me a message, chances are I know and have probably played is as well
                        sigpic

Comment

Gah, it's like you're all talking another language here... and I'm not referring to English!

I really, really don't see the need of having to analyze the characters' nature or whatever other aspect of a story unless it's to improve one's writing, like when talking about mechanics of writing or narration. But to start analyzing characters, motive, motto and 'hidden meanings' from written work just seems pointless to me unless you're studying or working/specializing in Literature of course.

And yes, this was one of the main reasons I really disliked Literature in high school.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            Gah, it's like you're all talking another language here... and I'm not referring to English!
                            Sorry I speak fluent geek, and being married to an English teacher does not help Either..........

I really, really don't see the need of having to analyze the characters' nature or whatever other aspect of a story unless it's to improve one's writing, like when talking about mechanics of writing or narration. But to start analyzing characters, motive, motto and 'hidden meanings' from written work just seems pointless to me unless you're studying or working/specializing in Literature of course.
                            Well, I'm only speaking from a Roleplayers perspective, but having something like that really does help define a characters responses that may run contra to what *you* yourself may do (though I know *plenty* of Roleplayers that will never step outside the "comfort zone" of a personality that is fairly similar to thier own)

And yes, this was one of the main reasons I really disliked Literature in high school.
                            HAHAHA
                            I loved it, even did extra courses in it
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Well, I'm only speaking from a Roleplayers perspective, but having something like that really does help define a characters responses that may run contra to what *you* yourself may do (though I know *plenty* of Roleplayers that will never step outside the "comfort zone" of a personality that is fairly similar to thier own)
                              This.

HAHAHA
                              I loved it [literature], even did extra courses in it
                              No wonder we get along so well. So did I!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

This.
                                Glad to help
                                Did you find the link useful?

No wonder we get along so well. So did I!
                                Storytelling and books have probably been the single most defining features of my life. I am a *terrible* writer, in fact I have not even tried to write anything for a good ten years outside of posting on forums. Roleplaying however is something I continue to do, even if not as often as I would like. I am a but of a RPG "purist" however as I don't consider "forum based" or "MMORPG'S" as "real RPG'S" (they lack the interactivity I want in games), to me a RPG starts and ends with a group of freinds sitting around a table telling a story.
                                (And yeah, it does explain why we get along )
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X