Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    Any of you guys fans of Sanctuary who could help me out? I'm without a Sanctuary fangirl support group in my geographic area.
    I'm a Sanctuary fangirl... I could possibly offer assistance.

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    I've been near the Hotel before. I used the McDonalds over the road from the Hotel. But it will be my first time at the Renaissance. I here it has a Full English Breakfast to die for. Or so people have told me.
    Been to that McDonalds myself a couple of times. Have done some Firefly conventions in the area, but they were at the Thistle hotel so don't know about that English breakfast at the Renaissance. Once was at the Raddison - their breakfast wasn't bad either.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Speaking of conventions, I've been trying to work on my costume for Dragon Con in August. I've decided to start off easy, and go as Magnus (and it's not just laziness, it's unique too, since I didn't see a single Magnus costume there last year). I've already got the hair for it, and the jacket I want to use-- which is a replica of the one she wore for the Season 1 promo shots. But I'm torn between which boots to get.

There's one pair that looks very much like the pair Magnus wore in Breach (which doesn't necessarily make sense with the jacket, but whatever). And then there's another pair which are taller, but more generic.

Any of you guys fans of Sanctuary who could help me out? I'm without a Sanctuary fangirl support group in my geographic area.
      I love Magnus' style but I am not yet as obsessed as to knowing which boots (or clothes) she wears in which episodes. Pics please?
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Been to that McDonalds myself a couple of times. Have done some Firefly conventions in the area, but they were at the Thistle hotel so don't know about that English breakfast at the Renaissance. Once was at the Raddison - their breakfast wasn't bad either.
        Inva2ion was due to be held at the Raddison. But for some reason it was changed to the Renaissance. I've stayed at the Thistle Hotel attending a few Stargate conventions and a BSG convention. The Thistle served a good breakfast.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          I love Magnus' style but I am not yet as obsessed as to knowing which boots (or clothes) she wears in which episodes. Pics please?
          It would be this jacket: Sanctuary-Amanda-Tapping-as-Helen-Magnus-Jacket-Costume-1.jpg

With either this boot: Magnus Boots1.jpg

Or this boot: Magnus Boots2.jpg

Sorry about the late response. Got halfway thru typing it before the parentals pulled me away for some bowling. For the record, I officially hate bowling.

Comment

I think both pairs of boots would be fine and I'd just go with whichever fits better and is more comfortable to walk around on all day/weekend(?). Do you already have them or are you going to specifically buy them for this occasion? Because then I'd go with the cheaper ones and/or the ones you'd be more likely to wear otherwise.

It could be just the picture but the second pair looks to have a higher leg, which could be uncomfortable it you're not used to it.
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              I think both pairs of boots would be fine and I'd just go with whichever fits better and is more comfortable to walk around on all day/weekend(?). Do you already have them or are you going to specifically buy them for this occasion? Because then I'd go with the cheaper ones and/or the ones you'd be more likely to wear otherwise.

It could be just the picture but the second pair looks to have a higher leg, which could be uncomfortable it you're not used to it.
              I'm gonna have to buy them online, so as far as the fit goes, I have no idea. If I have the funds, I may just get both pairs and experiment with them before I make a decision about which I should wear to the Con.

Though, in either case, would I be wearing the kind of pants that can be tucked into the boot? For the taller boot, most definitely, but would that style look stupid with the shorter one?

Comment

It depends on the kind of pants you're wearing of course but assuming the legs aren't too wide (regular or skinny jeans, but not flared or bootleg for example) it would totally go with both kinds of boots. The only thing that might play a role in whether or not I'd be wearing them would be how they look on my feet; somewhat flat soles like these often make your feet look bigger (or perhaps more realistic) than high-heeled boots and by tucking your pants in them attention is drawn to them. For me that plays a role because I don't have the smallest feet.

However, if you want to wear them regardless of what kind of pants you wear and whether or not they're suitable to be tucked into them, then the shorter boots are probably best because you can wear those both ways; pants over them or tucked in. Depending on how high the other pair is it's often uncomfortable to wear those under your pants if the leg of the boot is against your bare skin and comes up near your knees. But again, that depends on preference.

Either way, you can almost always wear your pants tucked in such boots, it would probably only look stupid if your pants are too puffy around your legs (even with wide leg pants you can twist them around your ankle and pull your sock over to keep them in place) or if you tuck them into ankle boots or something

Do you have similar boots to these you wear? Or are they not your thing? I know you've mentioned on occasion that you're more of a tomboy but I don't know how that translates to footwear.
                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Well, I do have a pair of heeled boots, but the style is essentially that of a regular pump with some extra material to make it look like an ankle boot. Those were suitable for office wear, except for the fact that I'm a bit of a klutz and nearly tripped coming down the stairs. *doh*

But since these are both flats, I figure the klutzy thing is as much as a nonissue as when I'm wearing sneakers. I've never worn tall boots, but I have been trying to expand my horizons and become more fashionable (meaning something more than jeans and t-shirt). So I'm probably not going to rule out the tall ones just because I've never tried them before.

The shorter ones are more like my combat boots--which I would wear each and every day, even to my office, if I could-- so those are probably the safest bet, but still...

Comment

I don't know what kind of legs you have but if this is your first real foray into the world of boots then you might want to check your calf circumference to see if it would be a good fit with the boots' legs when ordering online, because unfortunately there are some standard sizes that aren't always one size fits all... especially if you have toned/fat/skinny/short/long calves compared to, eh, normal (whatever that is) ones.
                    Last edited by fems; 29 April 2012, 05:13 AM.
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

That's probably smart. You think the online sizing chart would cover all that?

Comment

Dunno, I never buy shoes/boots online but I would imagine they at least have the circumference of the boot leg listed if it's a shoe site or an online clothing shop with lots of shoes/boots.
                        On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Well, it's Amazon... I haven't found anything specific (the only thing they list is the size and how tall the boot is from the arch.

Comment

Oh, wow, and I just found this... I could totally see this having a post-apocalyptic vibe. I might get these just for fun! And they've got a bit of a heel on them, which would help with the height thing, which is important when posing for pictures.

Magnus Boots3.jpg

Is it weird that I'm looking at what are technically motorcycle boots when I don't actually ride motorcycles?

Comment

Oh, wow, and I just found this... I could totally see this having a post-apocalyptic vibe. I might get these just for fun! And they've got a bit of a heel on them, which would help with the height thing, which is important when posing for pictures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34449[/ATTACH]

Is it weird that I'm looking at what are technically motorcycle boots when I don't actually ride motorcycles?
                              Not at all. The boots are totally HAWT! Now if you were looking at motorcycle HELMETS with no intention of riding a motorcycle...
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                                Not at all. The boots are totally HAWT! Now if you were looking at motorcycle HELMETS with no intention of riding a motorcycle...
                                Thanks! But now I'm totally torn. I set myself a quota of no more than two pairs (at least at this point), so now I gotta choose which of the three I want the most. It's gonna be a toughie!

I see pro-con lists coming into play. Hee hee!

Comment

Working...
                                X