Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm amazed at the very basic spelling errors people seem to constantly make, and not just from people who have English as a second language, but from those who have it as a first language. In my first year at University (I'm graduating next week!), we spent quite a lot of time being taught how to write academic essays, and one of the points they had to go over and over again and again was basic spelling, like "it's" and "its", or "their" and "there". These a supposed to be the bright young minds of our feature at a top-ranking University, and they can't even spell properly? And that's only at University, don't even get me started on fanfics!
    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

My husband is currently training a university grad and is having trouble convincing him that one really should use capitals when sending emails to customers. One should also not use texting shortforms or smileys either.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
        My husband is currently training a university grad and is having trouble convincing him that one really should use capitals when sending emails to customers. One should also not use texting shortforms or smileys either.
        Head. Desk. AAAaaaaauuuuugggghhhh!

(One wonders what university this individual allegedly graduated from.)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

It makes you wonder how such people manage to have successfully written a thesis at some point in their education.

I have to say that I was a bit baffled too when I started reading fanfics and came across so many spelling/grammar errors only to see on the "author's" that they're native speakers. Same for some of my reviewers. In the beginning I had a hard time understanding what some were actually saying because for non-native speakers such spelling/grammar errors make much less sense. Or at least, that's how I feel about it, since you subconsciously translate and then it just doesn't make any sense.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

THe standards of some students writing is just horrible, really.

Comment

it is really bad. We have a whole generation that has no idea what spelling or grammar is. and they get mighty huffy when you dare to mention it to them. how DARE we question them.

yeah, well I dare. Because I spent years learning this language.

I do slack on the forum with capitols. And if i'm typing a post on my Touch, commas are a witch to put in. but when I'm typing an e-mail at work - unless it's a quick note between friends - it's formatted and reread and spell checked and tweaked...not only to make sure it's good, but also....anything you send via e-mail is forever. You don't want to misspeak or mistype and have that come back to bite you in the bum.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's not just English, either. One of the things that really bugs me in Swedish (my mother language) is the influx of English words into everyday use. For example, in shops everywhere, sales aren't advertised as sales in Swedish ("rea"), but in English! You'd be hard pressed to find a shop in Stockholm that advertises a sale in Swedish. Or the phenomenon of using English words where there's a Swedish word in place. The worse one, I actually saw in a newspaper the other day, where the capital of Austria was called "Vienna" instead of the Swedish (and, for that matter, German) spelling of "Wien". In a national newspaper!!!

Comment

Yeah, same here. Although it's mostly teenagers who think they're very good at English that use English words instead of their own language. And some of the international students have often remarked how we "steal" their words by conjugating the English stem (e.g. email, stress, relax).

In general it doesn't bother me, as long as people can speak/write their native language correct as well. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with some of today's kids (not that their English is good either).
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm one of those last holdouts who still finds herself driven to type in grammatically correct English, capitalized and properly punctuated, when sending emails and even text messages! I sometimes find myself breaking down and using text shorthand in a text because I'm in a hurry or up against a character limit, but I find myself gritting my teeth when I do it.

Half of my friends think it's horrendously funny, while the other half completely understand.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Textspeak makes it harder, not easier, to read a message.

Comment

it actually takes me longer to text using the text speak than it does to just type it out

the only ones i'll commonly use are see u later or things like that.
                        i would never type c u l8tr.....looks like my 4 year old niece got her hands on my phone
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've always thought that studying a language other than one's native tongue should improve one's command of that native tongue. At the very least, it made me more aware of the mechanics of language when I studied French (my native language being English, as I'm American).

Sadly, I don't know whether this is the case for others, especially these days.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I do some text speak, but in general I try to keep my writing grammatically correct, no matter the context. I'm also one of those weirdos who loves the mechanics of language. I used to love diagramming sentences in middle school & that made it easier, I think, when I studied German in college. Where I live, you hear a lot of "Spanglish"--Spanish with English interjected or vice versa. It can be jarring.

Please pardon any errors--we've been driving all day, I got to drive during the torrential downpour section & now I'm inhaling shoe polilsh as the boys prepare for their first inspection tomorrow.

P.S. Finally, a new theme I can get behind! I'm Michigan J Frog's agent!
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I don't get the concept of text speak, it looks ridiculous and it takes more effort to understand (let alone write) what people are trying to say. So it might cost you one extra text, boohoo. These days most of my contacts have a chatting/messaging app or unlimited texts anyway.

I always try to write correctly, whether that's formal or informal, letters, emails, chatting or text messaging. I always spell check too. Simply because I think anything other than correct use of language makes you look like an idiot. Thankfully, most of my friends and family members feel the same way.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Argh, just came across another error that I see far too often: compliment/complement.
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X