Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How sad is it when dictionary.com has better words than OED.com? Today's WoTD from the former. Unfortunately, it could be applied to me--I only live about 30 minutes from my in-laws.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Kernel oneil, mayor Sam Karter, Danial Jacksson and Tealc, with the help of General Hammnd and doctor Fraser!
      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
        How sad is it when dictionary.com has better words than OED.com? Today's WoTD from the former. Unfortunately, it could be applied to me--I only live about 30 minutes from my in-laws.
        This is just pitiful... lol
        "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
        ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Isn't OED behind a pay wall?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Blargh. If I see one more person use "cannon" when they mean "canon" I'll scream.
            Or vice versa.

Catching canon would be far less painful. Just sayin'.
            But twice as itchy.
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Look what I found!

http://twitter.com/#!/OxfordWords

After browsing through some of the more recent WOTD tweets, I swiftly added this to my RSS feed; it beats the heck outta the disappointing OED emails. For instance, today's word was 'eructation'. Definition? "A belch." How awesome is that?! (It's almost as good as 'borborygmus'!) Oh, and it has the cognates you would expect too - i.e. 'eructate' and 'eructative'.

"We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
              ~William Adama

Comment

Finally, a good one from OED--hikikomori.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                  Finally, a good one from OED--hikikomori.
                  Mhm. I enjoyed that one too. It's always interesting to me the way English adopts words from so many other languages. I guess it's a result of being such a widely spoken language; it's exposed to a plethora of other languages.
                  ~William Adama

Comment

When referring to the general community of gays, trans, etc, is it LGBT or LGBTQ?
                    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I've seen both used. The version adding "Q" simply includes 'queer' as a term in the list.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I've seen both used. The version adding "Q" simply includes 'queer' as a term in the list.
                        Really? I heard it was for questioning/question mark.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

It can be both.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                          sigpic
                          now also appearing on DeviantArt
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

It can be both.
                            Thanks.

Comment

I'm such a rube--I thought the Q stood for Queen, but I guess that would be the T!
                              sigpic

Comment

Both are accepted, though I believe LGBT is the more prominent one.

Comment

Working...
                                X