Return of the Ancients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
    hi aer'ki i've got a question for you - when is the next episode coming? thanks.
    I'm in the middle of writing ch.3 and will post whenever I get 5 finished.
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

wow you REALLY aren't in a hurry...
      ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

wow you REALLY aren't in a hurry...
        Helps when I occasionally defrag my brain.

BTW...I was having a discussion in another forum about the future of Stargate and while I would obviously prefer if ROTA caught someone's eye and became the 4th series(wink,wink) what do you guys think is going to happen to the franchise after SGU season 2?

If SGU continues to tank, what do you think MGM will do?

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
          Helps when I occasionally defrag my brain.

BTW...I was having a discussion in another forum about the future of Stargate and while I would obviously prefer if ROTA caught someone's eye and became the 4th series(wink,wink) what do you guys think is going to happen to the franchise after SGU season 2?

If SGU continues to tank, what do you think MGM will do?
          Hopefully ROTA becomes 4th series
          sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Given the trend of merging Sci-fi and Drama, SGU i actually think will be around fora few years depending on how sucessful the second half of hte first season is. If they stop rectally feeding us forced and tired character cliches, i think it could be successful. Not that i'll like it, but that's just me.

The SG Franchise i think is over. the cost vs reward of it just isn't high enough and given what's happening with SGU, i doubt they'll get into merchandising which would help with the monetary problems.

I think SG will just have to have a reboot eventually. but that's not for a good long time. The biggest problem i think is the technology pollution. When the story takes a back seat to how awesome the ships and battles are. They're taking too extreme a measure in SGU i think, but a mix of SGu's character and SG1's adventure with a decent serialized plot would work tremendously i think.

I honestly don't think ANY virtual series would be chosen to be the 4th (if ever) series. most take the history and backstory of the entirety of SG much like Atlantis did, and that's just giving your already established viewers an option.

If they'd held back the whole Asgard Beams of doom, the ships that can travel between galaxies, and focused more on team dynamics and undergod guerilla warfare style, i think it would have been alot more popular. Episodes like "The Defiant One" and "the Seige", "The Storm/Eye" as well as "Abyss", "Heroes" "Meridian" were what i think is the cream of the crop in SG1 and SGA.

SG always differentiated itself from Star Trek by being able to take itself lightheartedly, as well as never being more about the plot than the characters. For all the proof you want of this, compare the science and tech forum to the characters and relationship's thread. It's obvious what the mass media wants, so that's what they'd make if they ever made a 4th series.
            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
              Given the trend of merging Sci-fi and Drama, SGU i actually think will be around fora few years depending on how sucessful the second half of hte first season is. If they stop rectally feeding us forced and tired character cliches, i think it could be successful. Not that i'll like it, but that's just me.

The SG Franchise i think is over. the cost vs reward of it just isn't high enough and given what's happening with SGU, i doubt they'll get into merchandising which would help with the monetary problems.

I think SG will just have to have a reboot eventually. but that's not for a good long time. The biggest problem i think is the technology pollution. When the story takes a back seat to how awesome the ships and battles are. They're taking too extreme a measure in SGU i think, but a mix of SGu's character and SG1's adventure with a decent serialized plot would work tremendously i think.

I honestly don't think ANY virtual series would be chosen to be the 4th (if ever) series. most take the history and backstory of the entirety of SG much like Atlantis did, and that's just giving your already established viewers an option.

If they'd held back the whole Asgard Beams of doom, the ships that can travel between galaxies, and focused more on team dynamics and undergod guerilla warfare style, i think it would have been alot more popular. Episodes like "The Defiant One" and "the Seige", "The Storm/Eye" as well as "Abyss", "Heroes" "Meridian" were what i think is the cream of the crop in SG1 and SGA.

SG always differentiated itself from Star Trek by being able to take itself lightheartedly, as well as never being more about the plot than the characters. For all the proof you want of this, compare the science and tech forum to the characters and relationship's thread. It's obvious what the mass media wants, so that's what they'd make if they ever made a 4th series.
              I find myself mostly in agreement. I think the franchise is dying and only a 'reboot' will save it. But a reboot doesn't have to change everything. A lot can be salvaged, as I hopefully have shown in ROTA.

As for technology pollution...some of that crap has to be taken with a grain of salt and just ignored. When episodes contradict each other you have to choose one over the other, or none at all. It's a problem, but if a series bible is created for the 4th, it should stop there.

As for character vs science...I disagree that they're separate entities. Scifi technology creates new situations for characters to deal with, so I think it goes hand in hand. One enhances the other. Nail both and you've got a hit.

Comment

cmon aerki, just post the first chapter....like...now, so that when we'll read it, it will be a better week ahead of us

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                  I find myself mostly in agreement. I think the franchise is dying and only a 'reboot' will save it. But a reboot doesn't have to change everything. A lot can be salvaged, as I hopefully have shown in ROTA.

As for technology pollution...some of that crap has to be taken with a grain of salt and just ignored. When episodes contradict each other you have to choose one over the other, or none at all. It's a problem, but if a series bible is created for the 4th, it should stop there.

As for character vs science...I disagree that they're separate entities. Scifi technology creates new situations for characters to deal with, so I think it goes hand in hand. One enhances the other. Nail both and you've got a hit.
                  Re: the above bolded.

Exactly. but then again you get shows like FarScape that had both and yet...

I think the best Sci-fi shows are the ones that HAVE the technical aspect to them, but it's not the focus. It's more the foundation and the emphasis is on the characters and the situations they're in.
                  Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

How would V fare in a panning of technical aspects and characterizations?

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                      Shrug, haven't watched it. Been meaning to, but just haven't been arsed Actually i really should watch it given BW's comments on it

I think that in the end, art and quality storytelling will always take second place to mass appeal. Look at a story like Avatar, it's basically a love story with a little sci-fi tossed in. Hard Sci-fi just isn't as popular as we the fans would like it. Solaris comes to mind and even though it was chaned from the original novel, it STILL tanked Sunshine is another prime example. an apparantly "harder" sci-fi that failed to meet that mass appeal.

SG1 was more like a cop show really. Each episode was its own story, and there just happens to be this deeper story underneath. SGA was much teh same. It had the technical aspects, but it never focused onthem to the point where it overrode the characters. Sadly, we all know the problems iwth SG1 and SGA, but the fact is it lasted 15 years which is a LOT more than more Sci-fi, so obviously SOMETHING was right.

If SGU stops medically inserting such lame attempts at character development and ups the action and "filler" style episodes, then i think it'll be a success (even though i wont' watch it).

That's why i highly prefer getting my sci-fi fix out of books and novels. As much as i'd LOVE harder sci-fi in TV or movie form, i just don't see production companies taking that level of risk given the market today or in teh foreseeable future.

Maybe if it'd been 30 years ago, but then again, i wasn't around then

Comment

v:
                        tech - cool (relatively, it can't compare to sg, but it isn't trying )
                        charecters - mostly ok, though "juliet's" son is *&^%@#

about how sgu is going fare in s2 and after that... imo it's going to stabilize and everyone (people who stick with it long enough to find stuff they like in it) will grow to love it, this happens to most tv shows, in the 1st season they tend to be slow and lame, but after the situations they're in solidify adventures begin
                        ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

v:
                          tech - cool (relatively, it can't compare to sg, but it isn't trying )
                          charecters - mostly ok, though "juliet's" son is *&^%@#

about how sgu is going fare in s2 and after that... imo it's going to stabilize and everyone (people who stick with it long enough to find stuff they like in it) will grow to love it, this happens to most tv shows, in the 1st season they tend to be slow and lame, but after the situations they're in solidify adventures begin
                          yeah, even sg-1 was a little iffy in its first few episodes with emancipation and broca divide.
                          http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                            you know what, picking V's un fair, you need a show thats had MORE than 4 episodes shown.

How would FIREFLY fare in a panning of technical aspects and characterizations?
                            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

I think V is building up okay. I like the characters so far, and hope to see further development and see the reaction when it is revealed that there are more on the way.

Comment

New chapter is up people, it may not show on main screen but chapter 6 is up.
                                sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X