No announcement yet.

Return of the Ancients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you remove it from the community page from inside the episode? if you can, try doing that and then re-adding ... also ... contacting the admin or someone like that might not be a bad idea ...squashing bugs
    ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

STAR FORCE EPISODE 1 SPOILER

...read the 1st of star force 'books' ... aer'ki not sure if you explain this in later episodes but there is a huge inconsistency - human evolution... davis' guess-explanation about how things were set up in the pyramid hinted, at least to me, that modern-day-like-humans were working there ... if so, where do neanderthals and other earlier 'human offshoots' fit into everything; why aren't we evolving (ok 100k years isn't that long but still) ... also why are huge parts of human dna identical to all life on earth
      Last edited by NIMBUS; 08 October 2012, 04:35 AM.
      ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
        STAR FORCE EPISODE 1 SPOILER

...read the 1st of star force 'books' ... aer'ki not sure if you explain this in later episodes but there is a huge inconsistency - human evolution... davis' guess-explanation about how things were set up in the pyramid hinted, at least to me, that modern-day-like-humans were working there ... if so, where do neanderthals and other earlier 'human offshoots' fit into everything; why aren't we evolving (ok 100k years isn't that long but still) ... also why are huge parts of human dna identical to all life on earth
        Am I missing something here, or did the 'spoiler' boxes disappear from the post options? Anyway...

There's a bit of further explanation in ep. 6, but the main point is that the theory of evolution, as well as creationism, are both defunct. Earth was a colony of the V'kit'no'sat and brought Humans here...so the true origin of the Human race is still a mystery, we just know it didn't happen on Earth. As for neanderthals and such...put those in the 'make up your own history' category of modern day science. So little remains of those remains that most of it is just their imagination. Kind of like Jurassic Park's idea of Dinosaurs having skin. None was ever recovered, so we don't know the texture, color, or even if they had skin. All we've got are bones...or actually the stone remnants of bones...to go off of. The rest is inspired fiction passed off as science.
        As for the evolving bit over 100k years, that bit's addressed in ep. 6 too.

And if you have any Star Force questions, you can always post them on my Facebook page. I don't mind answering them here, just don't want this to turn into a Star Force thread when it's supposed to be about Stargate.

Oh yea, and thanks for reading.
        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

sorry for doing this here, but i had a cool idea and had to write it somewhere and i don't have (or actually want to have ) a fb acc ... this will be my last post about star force, promise

...i get that guessing this stuff only after reading the 1st ep is a bit dumb, but whatevs, it's fun
          ...aer'ki your avoiding of addressing dna relation and dino bones that are older than 100k years made me think (also i wasn't happy with 'current view of evolution is total garbage' explanation)
          ...i'm going to guess that earth is littered with pyramids like that and every time they came here either something wiped them (or made them wipe (like it was with this pyramid)) or forced them to leave... it's the only thing that can explain both (super old dino bones and dna similarities ...and even why neanderthal bones are similar to ours)
          ...that pyramid isn't the only time they have been on earth ...they and humans could have even originated here; they could have evolved here (explains fossils), then left, then arrived few million planetary rotations around sun later and taken few [early] humans, left, then arrived again with ep. 1 pyramid ['today' humans] (neanderthals and others could have evolved on earth in parallel to their 'brothers' on dino ships; also plants (explains dna nicely)) (insert few dozen other visits just for fun ) (originating can be replaced with very first visit) ... if this is true then the next step is guessing wipe/leaving reasons, and because this is sci-fi that might be something trippy

'ps' (lol) - n-th arrival might explain why in the hell they chose to land on antarctica, probably hoped that the cold might help with the wipe-problem (this is way too specific guess-work to be even close )

damn i love 'logic-guessing' this stuff though i'm not sure i explained it well enough

!!!!

response to camothor in the next post (promised i won't make new SF-only posts )
          if humans were aliens to earth as aer'ki 'suggested' then most of our dna wouldn't be identical, and convergent evolution as far as i know , doesn't work on dna (lol ok, not in a not-through-natural-selection way )
          ...also for convergent evolution to fit in this case, one would have to work very hard at glossing over details and sf doesn't seem to be written in that way

...sad news about rota ...but trying to understand and compare situations, a lack of motivation in rota's case is understandable
          Last edited by NIMBUS; 17 October 2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Nimbus have you ever heard of convergent evolution? I'm not trying to be difficult or anything but one of Darwins major points was that Species from different Genera will fill an ecological role or niche if there is an opportunity over time.

If applied to Star Force that could go to be something like the neanderthal aren't actually of the same Genera as humans but an example of how if you look in skeletal records or at different countries lizards and birds both have converged to extremely similar body size and form to fill similar or the same ecological niche.

Also the main reason that DNA is so similar across all living things is because a lot of it is non expressed DNA, rather DNA that has non visual function i.e. enzyme creation DNA replication and correction all those behind the scenes stuff so to speak.

On an on topic note Hows ROTA going??
            Better a diamond with a flaw than a peeble without

Comment

Originally posted by camothor View Post
              On an on topic note Hows ROTA going??
              Still on the back burner for now.

Comment

Since ROTA is still on the back burner (sorry I just had to use one of these in my first post here)... I had some time to reread ROTA and I wondered why your characters seem to indicate that more advanced cultures have less need for decoration and ornament. In episode 17 when a Tok'ra delegation visits Bra'tac, they comment on the architecture:
                "It seems the Jaffa still require grandiose displays," Delek commented disapprovingly.
                "Apparently so," Korra agreed dispassionately.
                Stevenson also comments that the lanteans left Atlantis to decorated for his taste.

So my question is, is there a reason they dissaprove, maybe because it's just a waste of resources or do you have another reason for it.

If you wonder why I may ask such a question, its just because during a course I take, the professor told us about Adolf Loos, an austrian architect who wrote the influential text "Ornament and Crime", he basically says "The evolution of culture marches with the elimination of ornament from useful objects" and it made me think about ROTA

Comment

Originally posted by ancore View Post
                  So my question is, is there a reason they dissaprove, maybe because it's just a waste of resources or do you have another reason for it.
                  i'm going to guess that at the base of their disapproving is appreciating of knowledge... being wowed more by shiny/grandiose things than things achieved through science or knowledge itself is not very evolved. that doesn't mean that beauty is garbage, but that it shouldn't trump practicality... if i remember correctly those buildings were very shiny or something like that ... that was my opinion ... cheers

Comment

An interesting question.
                    One point first, Stevenson noted that the Lanteans had redesigned the interior to make it more their own, so the city didn't look how Stevenson remembered it from the knowledge in the Repository. And no, the Alterra didn't go in for potted plants.

The best indication I can give you in Stargate is to study the Asgard architecture. They were apprentices of the Alterra and took much from them. We never get to see Nox technology, and only a glimpse of Furling, but have some examples of Alterra construction looking like stone and then Atlantis and the puddlejumpers. All could be described as Spartan.

To the Alterra, function is what mattered. Style was secondary but important, but most of their style was in the significance of the technology they built, not decoration. Like Daniel said, they like to do things 'big.'

Other cultures who are not so accomplished tend to compensate with decoration to add false significance to a room or building, whereas the Alterra derive the significance from the function. If an item has no use, then it has no significance.

You might say the Alterra 'decorate' from a secure personality, whereas lesser cultures decorate from an insecure personality that needs external enhancement...such as really big, ornate hats. The Jaffa are still very insecure, and Bra'tac knows it will take time for them to develop. In the mean time, they need to be inspired, thus the grandiose architecture reminiscent of the Goa'uld.

The Tok'ra abhor anything of the Goa'uld, so they tend to be Spartan for that reason alone, otherwise they'd be just as pontificate.

Comment

Hi Aer-Ki. Following up on our conversation about a plagiarism of your story, it's occured again. The reposter of your ROTA material stated the 'original author' requested they repost it for them. Wouldn't be you would it? Also regarding the minium 97% identicalness, I informed you in a ff.net PM I seem to recall that Spearhead stated that you'd OKd him to use as much of ROTA as he wanted.

Anyway, you may wanna address both issues. The reposting of the reposting I link here.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8620638/...ients-Season-1
                      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                        Hi Aer-Ki. Following up on our conversation about a plagiarism of your story, it's occured again. The reposter of your ROTA material stated the 'original author' requested they repost it for them. Wouldn't be you would it? Also regarding the minium 97% identicalness, I informed you in a ff.net PM I seem to recall that Spearhead stated that you'd OKd him to use as much of ROTA as he wanted.

Anyway, you may wanna address both issues. The reposting of the reposting I link here.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8620638/...ients-Season-1
                        Thanks for keeping an eye out. In this case there's nothing untoward going on. It was suggested by several people that fanfiction readers were missing ROTA because they only searched for stories with long word counts, and because I split up the overall story into episodes they would never see it. It had been suggested multiple times that I compile everything together and finally I relented when Home World Security offered to do the compiling himself into seasons. I added him as staff to the ROTA community and the 1st season compilation is listed along with the individual episodes there.

As for the other issue, I just checked up on Spearhead and his most recent posting is no longer my material. He has taken the basic idea and ran with it in his own way...it's definitely not ROTA now, so problem solved there, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                          Thanks for keeping an eye out. In this case there's nothing untoward going on. It was suggested by several people that fanfiction readers were missing ROTA because they only searched for stories with long word counts, and because I split up the overall story into episodes they would never see it. It had been suggested multiple times that I compile everything together and finally I relented when Home World Security offered to do the compiling himself into seasons. I added him as staff to the ROTA community and the 1st season compilation is listed along with the individual episodes there.

As for the other issue, I just checked up on Spearhead and his most recent posting is no longer my material. He has taken the basic idea and ran with it in his own way...it's definitely not ROTA now, so problem solved there, I think.
                          Gotcha. Yeah, HWC explained. Brilliant advertising, Aer-Ki; I been considering better ways to advertise my tories but never arrived at your conclusion.

No problem for keeping an eye out. I'm currently dealing with a plagiarizer who both plagiarized my work (he implictly admitted as much when confronted, but hasn;t bothered to acnowledge this puclibly, so....) and AlexanderD's (another talented author like you--he's one of the few Stargate fanfic authors who gets review #s similar to yours with bout 1300 for his complete New Dawn and 560 for his uncomplete Aphelion). Not cool. So I can empathize. Well, after too many chapters (in the teens) that many of your readers have pointed out are 95% identical at best, glad he's finally deviated enough.
                          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

hi emm... finished reading the latest ROTA episode... was ok, left some comments on the fic site (not very productive ones ) ... so aer'ki could you please give us an estimate on when will the next one come out, just so we know when we should start compulsively checking for new chapters ... just an educated guess please

Comment

Hey
                              Thank you for another episode of rota, I enyoyed it very much. I hope there will be more, I understand it's difficult though.
                              As for starforce I can't give you much feedback, i've only read the first episode, I think it's a good start I m planning on reading the rest some time

Comment

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43...-kindle-worlds

lets start praying to goa'uld that the'll make the appropriate deals for stargate as well

Comment

Working...
                                X