• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyman123 View Post
    Glad your back
    love the fanfic
    though there kinda alot of techincal details on everything
    That is kind his his thing (that and the semi-Jedi thing). Just like G5 has some of the best non US military stories, LR is all about the characters, and long epics, that are all his, PJoZ kind of a mix of the two, then there is Amann and the Priness A who have a stargate in the stories and that's about it (love you two, plz keep writing). And then there is Alx never read anything he put out but my eyes would rather watch his stuff then SGU.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns View Post
      That is kind his his thing (that and the semi-Jedi thing). Just like G5 has some of the best non US military stories, LR is all about the characters, and long epics, that are all his, PJoZ kind of a mix of the two, then there is Amann and the Priness A who have a stargate in the stories and that's about it (love you two, plz keep writing). And then there is Alx never read anything he put out but my eyes would rather watch his stuff then SGU.
      know who all the other abbreviations represent, but who's LR?
      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Sorry I'm an idiot, meant AR 101

Comment

Originally posted by Burns View Post
          Nice, welcome back, and what are you training for?
          Attempting to do the impossible. If I'm successful you'll know in 2012.
          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

he wants to join the air force so he can finally tell us if the stargate program actually exists ^^
            nice new chapter btw, pretty fast too

Comment

going for the 2012 games?

I wish you luck
              Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
              sigpic

Comment

new chapter looks like the Asgard easily beat the Aschen in space battles
                http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

Originally posted by Lant3an View Post
                  he wants to join the air force so he can finally tell us if the stargate program actually exists ^^
                  nice new chapter btw, pretty fast too
                  Copycat, that's what I wanted to do.

Comment

Nice new chapter. Glad to see more of this "new" Goa'uld threat. Also the asgard reappearance is surprissing, I wonder if they are revealing their existance too early, personly i would have then working in the shadows until they are strong enough.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Is not there are some big games coming up in 2012? Liked the update, Asgard? Intressing

Comment

I say like Bradly08, nice to see the goa'uld threat. Well, I did like the asgard, and I'm glad to see them back!
                        sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Thank you for the new chapter.

I'm throwing up more of mine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                            That's not at all what i said.

SGU tried to avoid this by almost neglecting SG1 and SGA backstory beyond the most basic things (Ascension for instance) but because of varying reasons, it's now got less fans than SGA Season 5. There are many many reasons why people have stopped watching SGU, and i think the introduction of the Lucian Alliance, a formerly only SG1 plot, is overcomplicating what should be a simple premise of a show. Not to mention the stones... egads.

Enterprise lasted 4 years, and it marked the death knell of the franchise which like a phoenix, arose a new movie and reboot that goes back to a simple concept.

I agree about the mystery of the ancients, but the blending of 15 years worth of backstory for SG1 and SGA is what would prevent ROTA from becoming a hit in TV.

Think about this. If you were to drop into DS9 or Babylon 5 in its climax season (7 for DS9, 4 for BSG) Would you at all understand what's going on? The casual viewer - which makes up the majority of the audience btw - isn't interested in seeing overly complex plots that require you to watch every single episode. Lost was one of the best written dramas in recent history, and for a network show was a great success. But what was the primary aspect of the story? The story of the characters, not the black mist, not the hatch.

It's not a hard concept to understand. The more a person has to learn of backstory that's not shown in a series, the less people will watch it. How many single season sci-fi shows are there that do exactly that? Present us with a situation so far removed from simplicity that the first episode is just bringing everyone up to speed on the conditions and rules of the universe?

A reboot is what's needed, but that would mean ROTA would need to make major changes. Such as having no established characters, having to introduce 15 years worth of technological updates, yadda yadda yadda... it's too complex is my final thought on the subject.
                            A reboot like the new star trek NO WAY! All the older star treks even Enterprise were 1000000 times better. Reboots essenshly spit in the face of fans and reset it all meaning everything happens again. reboots may be viable in thirty years plus (after the series is dead) with a different story arc. Which would have to be at almost exactly the same as Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                              A reboot like the new star trek NO WAY! All the older star treks even Enterprise were 1000000 times better. Reboots essenshly spit in the face of fans and reset it all meaning everything happens again. reboots may be viable in thirty years plus (after the series is dead) with a different story arc. Which would have to be at almost exactly the same as Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.
                              Shows/films/movies are made for one purpose. to MAKE MONEY. The "quality" is just a way to ensure that fans follow and there's an audience which will spend money. Its YOUR opinion that ST 2009 sucks. I guess it being hte highest grossing Star Trek film of the entire franchise means nothing. Whether it spit in your face or not is your opinion, not other fans.

SGU is half a reboot on its own and seeing as its nowhere near teh stellar success they wanted it to be, and the writers have pretty much written themselves into a corner, a reboot seems to be the only way. Especially since they took a small following from the beginning and spit in their faces with the complete departure of all SG was.

And just to make this on topic to the thread. i reiterate, ROTA is too deeply involved in 15 years worth of backstory in SG-1 and SG-A to be considered as a new series. No studio exec is going to greenlight a series where the fandom is maybe a few million total and most couldn't give a rats ass whether a lantean and alteran are the same or different, they just want fun characters.

Want proof? Compare the Characters/Relationships threads on this very forum to EVERYTHING else on teh forum SG related. especially the science/tech threads.

ROTA spits in MY face by warping the characters IMO and forcing the AAS down my throat. I no longer consider ROTA SG and i haven't even been interested enough to read the new eppy. (i've read the first season, my review is way down below)

And Burns, i"m not just about the characters but as i said long long ago, a story with good plot but woeful characters is like a dry steak with no sauce.
                              Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                              Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                                Shows/films/movies are made for one purpose. to MAKE MONEY. The "quality" is just a way to ensure that fans follow and there's an audience which will spend money. Its YOUR opinion that ST 2009 sucks. I guess it being hte highest grossing Star Trek film of the entire franchise means nothing. Whether it spit in your face or not is your opinion, not other fans.

SGU is half a reboot on its own and seeing as its nowhere near teh stellar success they wanted it to be, and the writers have pretty much written themselves into a corner, a reboot seems to be the only way. Especially since they took a small following from the beginning and spit in their faces with the complete departure of all SG was.

And just to make this on topic to the thread. i reiterate, ROTA is too deeply involved in 15 years worth of backstory in SG-1 and SG-A to be considered as a new series. No studio exec is going to greenlight a series where the fandom is maybe a few million total and most couldn't give a rats ass whether a lantean and alteran are the same or different, they just want fun characters.

Want proof? Compare the Characters/Relationships threads on this very forum to EVERYTHING else on teh forum SG related. especially the science/tech threads.

ROTA spits in MY face by warping the characters IMO and forcing the AAS down my throat. I no longer consider ROTA SG and i haven't even been interested enough to read the new eppy. (i've read the first season, my review is way down below)

And Burns, i"m not just about the characters but as i said long long ago, a story with good plot but woeful characters is like a dry steak with no sauce.
                                Enough already. If you don't like the story and don't want to read it, fine. But you said the same thing at the halfway point of season one "never to read again" then you went ahead a few months later and reviewed the second half.

Read or don't read, that's your choice...just make up your mind.

As for your comments above, you're being hypocritical. You said that the anti-trek feelings were just the poster's opinion...then you go and do the same thing to SGU as if it were fact and not YOUR OPINION.

IMO, Trek 2009 was a great movie, but it did throw the 5 series under the bus thus ending the 'franchise' story arc.

And since you keep insisting that ROTA couldn't make it as a TV series...remember that a lot of the likeable characters are created by the interpretation of the actors. If you had real people reading the lines I've written(and tweaking them) you'd probably have people lauding the characters. There's only so much you can do in print.

As for the 15 years of backstory, SGA handled 7 years of backstory when it began by focusing on Sheppard, a newbee to everything and seeing things through his eyes while throwing out several explanations in the Pilot...just enough to get people squared away. If they get interested enough, they go back and watch SG-1, which enhances its fanbase.

And bottom line is, most people flipping through channels watch maybe 15 seconds of something and know whether or not they want to wait through 60 seconds not by character interaction, but by RAW COOLNESS. You know it when you see it, like a shot of a puddle jumper flying through space, or the stargate activating, or a fistfight between Teal'c and a Jaffa.

That's what get's people initial attention. If it stays COOL people will continue to watch whether they understand what's going on or not. It took me 5 times to understand the Matrix when it came out, but what was happening on screen was so cool I wasn't going to write it off. Trinity turning the tables on the police and jumping across rooftops got me(and probably a lot of other people) hooked instantly.

The technicality and depth to the storyline is a second level enticement for the more intelligent viewers, but essential for a long lived series. X-Files wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if there wasn't a long undercurrent beneath the individual episodes. 'Popcorn' might last a season or two, but it takes depth to last.

And if you absolutely disagree with everything I've just said...fine. Work on your own stories and make them how you want and STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT ROTA...especially if you're not going to read any more.
                                Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X