Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
    hmm. Valid point.

Hope we all don't have to suddenly make Power Point presentations on "what sort of levels out fan fictions work on".

Can't they just be 'fun'?
    Of course all fanfiction should be fun, that's the point of writing it, to have fun Of course there are more seirous pieces that have their own themes and metaphors, but if you're going to do that, then you're going to have to work at it. It's not easy to make people emotionally connect with something that doesn't speak to them. It's comparitively easy to write a fun fic about a mission or something, but getting people to feel for a character that's nothing but lines and thoughts on paper?

Another reason why OCs are difficult to write in Fanfic, we expect our canon characters to act the way they do in the show, but an OC can shift that dynamic and finding a balance is difficult especially if they're on the same level as the Canon characters.
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

has everyone forgot that that there is another Stargate in England it would be pretty cool if that Stargate is used in this arc however i think only Stevenson knows about it.
      sigpic

Comment

where the hell is aer'ki?
        ...i sent him the most awesome suggestion ever and he can't even sense it and read the stupid PM - basterd
        + a new episode would be nice
        ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
          where the hell is aer'ki?
          ...i sent him the most awesome suggestion ever and he can't even sense it and read the stupid PM - basterd
          + a new episode would be nice
          d@mn that's harsh, he always does this, plus if he is in collage he might be studing/taking exams or just might have had somthing come up in real life like life. He might be taking some time off and he never forgets about us.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns View Post
            d@mn that's harsh, he always does this, plus if he is in collage he might be studing/taking exams or just might have had somthing come up in real life like life. He might be taking some time off and he never forgets about us.
            I think nimbus just wants some confirmation that that's the case. Kinda like a S/J Shipper, confirmation, one way or the other
            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

what? i didn't understand a thing of what you wrote aragon...
              ... i want him to implement my idea into rota ... it's not anything that will be used all the time in the series, but it's a cool toy
              ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

please do not turn this into a J/S too, I hate those!

www.darkarmada.nl
                www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

"j/s"?

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
                    "j/s"?
                    jack/Sam, as in ship.

I'd dislike that as well, but more so for the pairing than the addition of another dimension to the characters. It was important enough to have in the show, why not here as well?

To exposit, ship need not mean romance. It can be friendship, team camaraderie, characters having fun with each other (scenes like Sam/Daniel ripping apart "Signs" for example) Y'know, classic SG1/A. TPTB did alot of things "wrong" but that's one of the things they did right.

Comment

Hi Everybody,
                      I've finished reading all this season and I must say it's a nice piece of work!.
                      Now that SG1 and SGA are gone and SGU doesn't appeal to me that much, I only visit this site to read the fanfic writings like this one and the so9's. In the absence of my beloved shows I came across with the fanfics.

What I like about this particular one is the storyline taken from a different perspective making them an interesting twist. In many stories, we are the good guys, the great of the greatest and we step through the gate and go out there to kick arses and teach them how to live there lives, have them embrace our ways. This proposition doesn't not sit well to those being taught otherwise, creating a heated debates.

"Corruption is what create dictators " if systems lords implemented according to Stevenson. The I.O.A is a power hungry which makes tauri the villan

Comment

Originally posted by KikeGate View Post
                        Hi Everybody,
                        I've finished reading all this season and I must say it's a nice piece of work!.
                        Now that SG1 and SGA are gone and SGU doesn't appeal to me that much, I only visit this site to read the fanfic writings like this one and the so9's. In the absence of my beloved shows I came across with the fanfics.

What I like about this particular one is the storyline taken from a different perspective making them an interesting twist. In many stories, we are the good guys, the great of the greatest and we step through the gate and go out there to kick arses and teach them how to live there lives, have them embrace our ways. This proposition doesn't not sit well to those being taught otherwise, creating a heated debates.

"Corruption is what create dictators " if systems lords implemented according to Stevenson. The I.O.A is a power hungry which makes tauri the villan
                        The question is, is Stargate about humanity overcoming its stupidity, or the Ancients doing it for us?

Personally, while i love the technical aspects of this series and the way the storyline is developed, i detest the characters and their lack of believable dynamics. Jack is pretty much the only one i can believe.

The lack of good humor like Stargate had, the lack of good character interactions which lead to character development, and the lack of... well just about everything that makes Stargate entertaining beyond just another sci-fi series really kills it for me.

For all the proof you need, compare the science and tech threads to the characters/relationships thread and you'll see exactly what made Stargate popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                          The question is, is Stargate about humanity overcoming its stupidity, or the Ancients doing it for us?

Personally, while i love the technical aspects of this series and the way the storyline is developed, i detest the characters and their lack of believable dynamics. Jack is pretty much the only one i can believe.

The lack of good humor like Stargate had, the lack of good character interactions which lead to character development, and the lack of... well just about everything that makes Stargate entertaining beyond just another sci-fi series really kills it for me.

For all the proof you need, compare the science and tech threads to the characters/relationships thread and you'll see exactly what made Stargate popular.
                          you and your character development, always the character development (lol), there is little of that but the reason this fic does so well (in mind) it is a easy read (meaning not the many characters to keep track of). It is still a fun read.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns View Post
                            you and your character development, always the character development (lol), there is little of that but the reason this fic does so well (in mind) it is a easy read (meaning not the many characters to keep track of). It is still a fun read.
                            I'm not questioning that it's a fun read, i wouldn't be reading otherwise. But it's like reading a summary of a book rather than teh book itself.

You yourself told me about Battlfield Earth, i read that whole monster of a book, but truthfully it could be summarized in about 10 pages.

Halo could be summarized as "Chief lands on Halo, kills covenant, finds out Halo is a megadeath weapon, finds flood, kills flood, blows up ring."

I'm commenting on what i feel is missing from this fic, and how it's a shame because to go to such a huge trouble to make this technical marvel, it's sad that the other aspects aren't as touched on.

It's like making a great cake, and using dollar store frosting.

To be frank, this is never going to become the fourth series for various reasons, so wouldn't it be better to get a good novel style story that satisfies all aspects rather than just the plot, or as Aer'ki told me once, the "spine" of the story?

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                              I'm not questioning that it's a fun read, i wouldn't be reading otherwise. But it's like reading a summary of a book rather than teh book itself.

You yourself told me about Battlfield Earth, i read that whole monster of a book, but truthfully it could be summarized in about 10 pages.

Halo could be summarized as "Chief lands on Halo, kills covenant, finds out Halo is a megadeath weapon, finds flood, kills flood, blows up ring."

I'm commenting on what i feel is missing from this fic, and how it's a shame because to go to such a huge trouble to make this technical marvel, it's sad that the other aspects aren't as touched on.

It's like making a great cake, and using dollar store frosting.

To be frank, this is never going to become the fourth series for various reasons, so wouldn't it be better to get a good novel style story that satisfies all aspects rather than just the plot, or as Aer'ki told me once, the "spine" of the story?
                              yourself told me about Battlfield Earth, i read that whole monster of a book, but truthfully it could be summarized in about 10 pages.
                              Which is why that movie is not only the worst sci-fi movie of time but one of the overall worst movies of all time. Damn the man that wrote that book made a cult really. At least your addmitting your reading it.

Comment

i think hes doing a load of episodes and release in a steady stream while he writes more or hes got qualification final exams and revising like ishould be lol

i rule startegic games

Comment

Working...
                                X