Test
    sigpic

Comment

Got it.
      The blue arrow took me to your post.

See you on ask the Mods!
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Hit the blue arrows and was redirected at once to the post made by dipsofjazz.

Testing... 1...2...3...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks!
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Looking for some recommendation for FanFic SGA Shep/McKay friendship whup - new to Gateworld. Any suggestions welcome

Comment

Originally posted by HesBe View Post
              Looking for some recommendation for FanFic SGA Shep/McKay friendship whup - new to Gateworld. Any suggestions welcome
              I recommend Xparrot's gen fic.

Safekeeping

The Seat of Talents

Games of Chance

Sholio (Friendshipper) is a good gen writer focusing on McKay/Sheppard friendship.

Comment

Is there anyone left that is still into a good, gen/team adventure type fic, without overtones of relationships? Just curious. Looking over the majority of lists for Sam/jack this and Sam/Jack that, I get to feeling a little like a dinosaur, but I suppose its realistic, since shipping was always a die hard group, that wanted relationships against all the odds (and never let little things like distance, regulations, or other relationships stand in their way, so it makes sense they would flourish after the end of the show)

Still... just curious.. .is there anyone out there?

I won't even hope for decent kidfic, since that was only written by a small semi lunatic fringe back in the hey day, and hard to find any of the decent sort since it seemed to be universally loathed, (understandable, most of its terrible, with few gems in my mind) unless of course you belonged to the even more slightly lunatic fringe group that seemed to think Danny boy needed a second childhood.

So mostly looking for gen/team SG-1 especially fics, any season.
                sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

I'm the same way about fic. Not a 'shipper, and not really into kidfic either. Gen fic is my genre of choice, whether team-oriented or focused on specific characters. And it's what I write.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I'm a person who'll read anything that peaks my interest.

But I can recommend 'All That We Leave Behind' written by SF_and_Coffee.
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      I'm the same way about fic. Not a 'shipper, and not really into kidfic either. Gen fic is my genre of choice, whether team-oriented or focused on specific characters. And it's what I write.
                      That's good to know, I was feeling like a dinosaur I will have to look at your stuff. I tend to write Sam centric myself, team supportive, mostly gen, though I've attempted ship but never could pull it off well. (even when I wrote a valentine story with the purpose of making S/J kiss every chapter, I still only managed like four or five chapters before I ran out of ideas) As for kidfic, I've only written two, (though am fiddling on a third, mostly Sam centric) because I think I was more interested in the idea of it than in what I could find, which even when you got past the large number of Danny-focused stuff, tended to feature the equivalent of spoiled brats wreaking havoc anywhere they went, and thought I could do better. So I can understand why most people aren't into kidfic, since its hard to find good ones out there. I just sort of figure, anything is possible in the world of Stargate, and wanted to write something that was more of an ADVENTURE than and misadventure in parenting. I like to think my latest, nearly complete story, featuring an intentionally downsized, fully aware Sam fits the criteria, and that even people that don't generally enjoy kidfic would enjoy it.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and make a few recs for what I think is some pretty good kidfic. I think there's a lot of variety even it its little subset.

One of my favorites, Nine, by SG1-Fanfic. What's neat about this one, is that adult Sam has to deal with her child self along with her teammates.

It's Great to be Eight? by Janissima This one features an aware Sam, accidently downsized.

Little Kid Diplomacy by Jingles Jack, Daniel, and Sam are now undersized, and unaware. What I like about this fic, is more interactions with characters you don't normally get to see very much, like Hammond, Teal'c, Janet, and even Ferreti, Siler, Cassie all thrown in among others.

Danny Day Care by Kate McCaye If you want a little Sam/Jack, as they care for a temporarily toddler sized Daniel.

And I can plug my own stuff of course right? Growing Pains Jack cares for unaware Sam, Dainel and Teal'c.

And It's All Elementary In which Sam voluntarily undergoes transformation, memories intact. Have one more chapter to post for completion.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
                          Is there anyone left that is still into a good, gen/team adventure type fic, without overtones of relationships? Just curious. Looking over the majority of lists for Sam/jack this and Sam/Jack that, I get to feeling a little like a dinosaur, but I suppose its realistic, since shipping was always a die hard group, that wanted relationships against all the odds (and never let little things like distance, regulations, or other relationships stand in their way, so it makes sense they would flourish after the end of the show)

I won't even hope for decent kidfic, since that was only written by a small semi lunatic fringe back in the hey day, and hard to find any of the decent sort since it seemed to be universally loathed, (understandable, most of its terrible, with few gems in my mind) unless of course you belonged to the even more slightly lunatic fringe group that seemed to think Danny boy needed a second childhood.

There is some amount of gen fic being written for the Tok'ra (like SF_and_Coffee's fic All that we leave behind). If you don't mind reading fic that at times get Tok'ra heavy, then these are some suggestions:

Walked right out of the machinery by Rydra Wong (SG-1 novel, AU, gen, PG-13/R)
                          Notes/warnings: Gen (brief reference to past canon sex). PG-13/R for violence. Character death. 73,746 words.

Ophiucus Rising by slybrarian
                          Action/Adventure
                          Rating: PG-13
                          Critically injured during the Battle of Antarctica, Cameron Mitchell faces spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Sam Carter, his oldest friend and host to Jolinar of Malkshur, gives him another choice: become a Tok'ra host. He takes a chance and accepts. Now he must adapt to sharing his body with another person, even while trying to make a place for himself at Stargate Command.
                          Very minor background Sam/Martouf(Jolinar/Lantash)

Compromised by ivanolix
                          The Compromised Trilogy. Sam, Jolinar, Daniel, and SG-1 mainly, but also Sha're, Martouf/Lantash, Hammond, Garshaw, Jacob Carter, Selmak, Vala, Jean Miller, and a few dozen or so more minor characters (both canon and OCs).
                          Pairings: This is 95% gen, but brief attention is paid to canon marriages.
                          Sam and Jolinar escape the ashrak, but leave the SGC in a lurch and themselves with all the cards stacked against them in a hostile galaxy. Gen. AU off In the Line of Duty. Sam and team centric.
                          Categories: Action/Adventure, Drama, Other; Characters: Anise/Freya, Daniel Jackson, Garshaw/Yosuf, General Hammond, Jack O'Neill, Jacob/Selmak, Janet Fraiser, Jolinar/Rosha, Malek, Martouf/Lantash, Original, Other, Samantha Carter, Shau'ri, Teal'c

Roeskva has a lot of gen fics (she has a lot of ship fics too). Her fics at Symbiotica: http://tokra.fandomnet.com/viewuser.php?uid=15

She also has a kidfic series, called Rascals. The first one is the best. Sam, Daniel, Martouf, Lantash, Freya, Anise, and for a time Yosuuf and Garshaw all gets de-aged. Jack and Teal'c - and sometimes Janet - have to take care of them.

Rascals by Roeskva [PG-13]
                          The Tok'ra and the Tau'ri are on a joint archaeological mission. What happens when Daniel activates an alien device? Can the effects be undone? Kidfic.
                          Categories: Humor, Other
                          Characters: Anise/Freya, Daniel Jackson, Garshaw/Yosuf, Jack O'Neill, Jacob/Selmak, Janet Fraiser, Martouf/Lantash, Other, Samantha Carter, Teal'c
                          sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                            There is some amount of gen fic being written for the Tok'ra (like SF_and_Coffee's fic All that we leave behind). If you don't mind reading fic that at times get Tok'ra heavy
                            Thanks for the recs, and I will probably read them anyway, in fact I've already started on Rascals and I think I may have already read Compromised.

I don't really mind the Tok'ra, its just, my heart is still a purist after the core SG-1 team, with general adventures that could be AU spin offs, or could just be adventures taking place anytime during the regular show. I used to even read a bit of S/J, especially if it was S/J that was just a sideline and not pivotal to the main line story. It just seems that it is hard to find even that. That anything now being posted is all about S/J, and their happy ever after with their wonderful kids saving the world with their super human powers. But I suppose I can't complain too much, myself being a Sam centric team adventure author that has only managed to complete one story in the past 5 years (after a two year long interruption in updates) that a lot of people sadly won't even look at because its "technically" kidfic, and of course, no ship. Which is probably the more important part.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post

I don't read much gen fic in SG-1 (but I'm mostly an SGA fan), so I have only a few fic recs, which you may already be familiar with.

THere's three fics by Rheanna who's one of my favorite Stargate writers (and just one of my favorite writers overall):
                              Rheanna's SG-1 fic
                              It's team gen action/adventure stories, though they lean toward Jack-centric.

And then there's the famous SG-1/SGA crossover with plenty of team action:

Retrograde by LtLJ

I really love this series. One story in the series is kinda shippy (but it is mostly centered around SGA characters, so you could safely skip it if it's no what you're into), but the rest is pure action/adventure gen. There;s equal atention given to SG-1 and SGA folks, though, so if you're not interested in SGA at all, it may not be for you. Still, I find the characterization of SG-1 team in these stories impeccable.

Comment

iamdragonrider, look up Fig Newton's recommendations in Livejournal. Gen is all she reads.

Seaboe
                                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                                X