This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Have you checked out the Stargate Novel Archive? There are too many to go through and pick out a few individual ones to rec, but they are all across the board as far as characters and ship or non-ship. Most of them will say what characters they are about and whether ship or non-ship. You can safely find pretty much anything you want there, if you're willing to go through the whole thing.

Stargate Novels Archive

In looking through the sgnewton stuff, I see one I really liked:

A Vacation at Jack's Place - a vacation gone south with intrigue and spies and terrorists, etc. Very teamy. I have it saved, and I think I'll need to edit my saved fics and move it into the "team" section.

I haven't read it in a long while, but the Gates of War series by Rebecca Ratliff (can be found on Stargate Novels Archive) is pretty good. Some of it focuses on Janet going on a mission with SG1.
    I have indeed checked out the archive, i think it's a great place.

But when i think of a recommendation, i'm thinking recommending a specific fic because you've read it and think it's high quality. Col. Shadow Quinn's recs are what i'm talking about (if a bit heavy on teh crossovers ) and i've just taken a look at your own rec, link doesn't work but i think it's on heliopolis.

I've read a few of Quinn's recs and agree that they're well made stories. That's a recommendation that i was glad to get. I think of a recommendaiton like when i walk into a book store. If i ask for good drama, i'd like to get an opinion on why it's a good drama story instead of juts being shown the drama section.

I'll take Mei and Uncle Jack/Anomaly as an example. I stumbled across that when i read WritingInCT's Sam/John fic "Counting in Days". I'd reccomend all three because they're so poignantly written with heartfelt drama and angst, yet there's always a flicker of hope at the end. WritingInCT has written other SG stories as well at the same level of quality, just watch for slashy tones every so often. Counting in Days has terribly beautiful angst since it's an Apoca!fic, yet the ending is sweet and leaves you happy. Same witH Mei's story which i reiterate, is a brilliant mirror image of Sam/Jack which i clearly enjoy. Since there ARE Sam/Jack Shippers here, i recommend that story to anyone who's looking for a dark drama story with great sci-fi, heartfelt romance and angst, and believable characters. I have no qualms saying it's one of my favorites ever AND it has Sam/Jack ship which should tell you just how great it is coming from me of all people.

Like.. that's my idea of a rec. Explain why you love the story and feel the need to share it with others.
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Another post I agree with, Aragon101 (my home internet makes quoting problematic at best). I really don't like recommendations that just link the fic without any description whatsoever, not even why the poster liked it in the first place. What is there about a bare link that's supposed to make me want to follow it?

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
        I have indeed checked out the archive, i think it's a great place.

But when i think of a recommendation, i'm thinking recommending a specific fic because you've read it and think it's high quality. Col. Shadow Quinn's recs are what i'm talking about (if a bit heavy on teh crossovers ) and i've just taken a look at your own rec, link doesn't work but i think it's on heliopolis.

I've read a few of Quinn's recs and agree that they're well made stories. That's a recommendation that i was glad to get. I think of a recommendaiton like when i walk into a book store. If i ask for good drama, i'd like to get an opinion on why it's a good drama story instead of juts being shown the drama section.

I'll take Mei and Uncle Jack/Anomaly as an example. I stumbled across that when i read WritingInCT's Sam/John fic "Counting in Days". I'd reccomend all three because they're so poignantly written with heartfelt drama and angst, yet there's always a flicker of hope at the end. WritingInCT has written other SG stories as well at the same level of quality, just watch for slashy tones every so often. Counting in Days has terribly beautiful angst since it's an Apoca!fic, yet the ending is sweet and leaves you happy. Same witH Mei's story which i reiterate, is a brilliant mirror image of Sam/Jack which i clearly enjoy. Since there ARE Sam/Jack Shippers here, i recommend that story to anyone who's looking for a dark drama story with great sci-fi, heartfelt romance and angst, and believable characters. I have no qualms saying it's one of my favorites ever AND it has Sam/Jack ship which should tell you just how great it is coming from me of all people.

Like.. that's my idea of a rec. Explain why you love the story and feel the need to share it with others.
        Hmm. I'll keep that in mind when I recommend fics in the future. And I'll check out the ones you mention too. Oddly, when I tried the links I posted, they both worked for me. However, there must be gremlins lurking around causing links to not work and then work and then not work.

Here's a link to "A Vacation at Jack's Cabin" on ff.net: A Vacation at Jack's Cabin if the other link didn't work.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
        Another post I agree with, Aragon101 (my home internet makes quoting problematic at best). I really don't like recommendations that just link the fic without any description whatsoever, not even why the poster liked it in the first place. What is there about a bare link that's supposed to make me want to follow it?

Seaboe
        Good point. Next time I recommend something I'll try to explain why.

Comment

I think every rec should have
          title, author and pairing/content warnings....at least let people know what they're getting into
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ok, here is one of my favorite stories

Executive Order by Soleya rated T: When President Hayes goes to examine the workings of the SGC personally, he learns a valuable lesson. Adventure/Drama mostly focused on Sam.

It has some great lines and the one at the end of chapter 5 is one of the ones that I read the story for
            sigpic
            Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Hi, all. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I'd like to share a story that a friend of mine wrote and that's posted to my LJ. It's Sam/Jack, AU, PG13. There are six parts.

Just Add Water

Please feel free to leave a comment there or here. I'll make sure she gets it.

Thanks.

Comment

This was great fic! I've rec'd it over on the Sam/Jack Fic thread. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thank you. Please continue to rec away--it's too good to to unread.

I'll pass your comments on to the author. thanks again.

Comment

Question A) Is this SG1 only or SGA too?
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I'd say both, but don't take my opinion as law
                      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                        I'd say both, but don't take my opinion as law
                        It's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          SG1, SGA or SGU.
                          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                            SG1, SGA or SGU.
                            Thanks.

Comment

This is not self appraisement, even though it is my own story. This last chapter was written graciously by Akamaimom an I thoroughly recommend it as a superb and wonderfully moving read. Keep the Kleenex handy.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5791848/...es_Episode_Two
                              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                                This is not self appraisement, even though it is my own story. This last chapter was written graciously by Akamaimom an I thoroughly recommend it as a superb and wonderfully moving read. Keep the Kleenex handy.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5791848/...es_Episode_Two
                                I'm holding off reading this 'til it's done, but wanted to say I took a peek and think this is a brilliant idea (such and so chapter, written by Author X). Terrific. Can't wait to read the whole thing.
                                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Working...
                                X