Clear All

Speaking of fic recs

http://rigel-7.livejournal.com/145289.html

all those infirmary visits we never to go see

very gen, very funny, and Janet might deserve canonization after this one
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Very interesting discussion you have here. I agree that most people look at the pairing and then decide if it's worth reading or not.

I can totally understand writing a story because a plot bunny won't leave you alone. I think that most good writer's care more about the story and how it's written than about the reviews. Some fics truly promise instant gratification and, perhaps, in some cases you need exactly that. But isn't it much sweeter to get that little moment after a proper build-up? I certainly think so. There are things that are worth the wait.

Here are some good stories I found a while ago.

The Way the World Ends is an ApocaFic and mostly about Sam and Teal'c. It is very well written, has a pretty unusual pairing and is the beginning of a series. You can find it here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3876508/...the_World_Ends

Another good one is an SGA fanfic. It's Sparky (Weir/Sheppard) and has some really interesting and unusual P.O.V.s. The author's currently planning to write a sequel. A very good read. Here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4932861/...Into_the_Night

Comment

Originally posted by Atri View Post
        Very interesting discussion you have here. I agree that most people look at the pairing and then decide if it's worth reading or not.

I can totally understand writing a story because a plot bunny won't leave you alone. I think that most good writer's care more about the story and how it's written than about the reviews. Some fics truly promise instant gratification and, perhaps, in some cases you need exactly that. But isn't it much sweeter to get that little moment after a proper build-up? I certainly think so. There are things that are worth the wait.

The Way the World Ends is an ApocaFic and mostly about Sam and Teal'c. It is very well written, has a pretty unusual pairing and is the beginning of a series. You can find it here:

Another good one is an SGA fanfic. It's Sparky (Weir/Sheppard) and has some really interesting and unusual P.O.V.s. The author's currently planning to write a sequel. A very good read. Here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4932861/...Into_the_Night
        Ahhh SBZ's "The Way" series is quite a nice slice of win
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Atri View Post

Thanks for reccing me. Coming across recs for my stuff is always (for me, anyway) an amazing experience.

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
          Ahhh SBZ's "The Way" series is quite a nice slice of win
          And for that further endorsement. Glad you both enjoyed the series.

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
            Thanks for reccing me. Coming across recs for my stuff is always (for me, anyway) an amazing experience.

And for that further endorsement. Glad you both enjoyed the series.
            It was a good series, though pretty dark, and even the pairing worked, which kind of surprised me.

Comment

It was supposed to be dark. I like dark, I generally find it more interesting than happy go lucky stories where everything always works out. As for the pairing, it developed because it worked so well.

Comment

I know a lot of you want to read Stargate canon, but my friend Garrown5th and my Dad have been writing Stargate Atlanis Allies and though first few chapters were a bit slow and difficult, it has really picked up and is worth a second look. Please have a read of this say something about it

Link

Comment

Cheers for the recc, Mel. If anyone does give it a read, am currently re-editting the first ark/chapter to fix an old co-authors first person, present tense stuff to fit with the rest. Please struggle through to the 2nd ark, it gets a lot better
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

personally I read stories without parings, I often simply hate paring fics...

Like if I want to read ST voy fics, all there is, are those damned Chak/Jane fics, those bore me to hell...

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Parings aren't always the best to read, Imo. A lot of the time, even when it's good writing, it's just too......too....I can't really put it in words, but it's too mary-sue-ish, sometimes.
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                        Parings aren't always the best to read, Imo. A lot of the time, even when it's good writing, it's just too......too....I can't really put it in words, but it's too mary-sue-ish, sometimes.
                        I think what you mean is what i call "Convenient" shipping. It's when two star struck lovers look at each other from across a lake, and suddenly nothing exists but them. Not former lovers, not friends, not other people wanting teh same person and competition beginning... not even the space time continuum itself will impede them or even make them think twice. It becomes very "Fairy Tale" in the sense that these two are getting together NO MATTER WHAT, and the tension that usually comes with a relationship is non-existent.

There are GREAT ship fics out there that include alot of what i just mentioned, but not many.

It comes down to why you're reading and writing in teh first place. We all write to have some kind of "resolution" or fulfill some "wish" we have, especially if it's a fanfiction. Just like the "Massive Space Battles of Doom" are wishfulfillment of... well... Massive Space Battles of Doom, shipping a certain pairing is wish fulfillment and resolution of something that may or may not be realistic, but still gives satisfaction.

again, personal likes and dislikes are greatly involved here. Personally i like a mix of both, but i lean more towards character ships rather then 'pew pew" ships. I just think it's harder in many respects and much more fulfilling to read great character dynamics than technical details about battles. That doesn't mean i don't love a well scripted battle though
                        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                          I think what you mean is what i call "Convenient" shipping. It's when two star struck lovers look at each other from across a lake, and suddenly nothing exists but them. Not former lovers, not friends, not other people wanting teh same person and competition beginning... not even the space time continuum itself will impede them or even make them think twice. It becomes very "Fairy Tale" in the sense that these two are getting together NO MATTER WHAT, and the tension that usually comes with a relationship is non-existent.

There are GREAT ship fics out there that include alot of what i just mentioned, but not many.

It comes down to why you're reading and writing in teh first place. We all write to have some kind of "resolution" or fulfill some "wish" we have, especially if it's a fanfiction. Just like the "Massive Space Battles of Doom" are wishfulfillment of... well... Massive Space Battles of Doom, shipping a certain pairing is wish fulfillment and resolution of something that may or may not be realistic, but still gives satisfaction.

again, personal likes and dislikes are greatly involved here. Personally i like a mix of both, but i lean more towards character ships rather then 'pew pew" ships. I just think it's harder in many respects and much more fulfilling to read great character dynamics than technical details about battles. That doesn't mean i don't love a well scripted battle though
                          What he just said ^^
                          And, after all, I did say imo. I have no doubt they are every well written, as stated. It just doesn't cater to what I want to read, but that doesn't make it bad, there may be plenty of people who like it.
                          sigpic
                          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

This is not in the vein of our normal fanfics, but a chance to blow off a little steam when your at that "in between" phase of writing. Think of it as an exercise in going to other places you might want to try, but in the interest of not wanting to tarnish your good credos, you don't venture there. It's all about the possibilities of what a fanfic might be, if you weren't writing what you write now...have a go, you may enjoy it

Link
                            My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                            sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

I suggest asking for fic recs from people who post on the threads where you like posting. There, you will usually find people whose likes and dislikes are similar to yours.

I like a popular pairing that has many devotees. I've found a lot of authors on my own, but I've found an equal number (or more) through recommendations from others with whom I post. If they like someone's work, it has been my experience that I probably will too.

So...ask your Gateworld friends!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                                I suggest asking for fic recs from people who post on the threads where you like posting. There, you will usually find people whose likes and dislikes are similar to yours.

I like a popular pairing that has many devotees. I've found a lot of authors on my own, but I've found an equal number (or more) through recommendations from others with whom I post. If they like someone's work, it has been my experience that I probably will too.

So...ask your Gateworld friends!
                                Alas, when your pairing doesn't have the same level of following, finding any fics at all is much harder.

I've spent hours searching on teh Internet for any John/Sam fics. I've found about 20+ total.

of those 20, 8 are just PWP, another 5 are tragic ending fics where Jack dies somehow and Sam/John is a crutch, 7 are one-shots ranging from friendship to romance, i've found 2 "series" in that it's longer than a one-shot (both take their time updating and are nowhere near finished) andfinally, the longest fics are mine, i have 5-6 at last count i think. I've read them all... now what?

So alas, as far as recs,i typically only need or want funny one-shots or humor/adventure gen fics.

Comment

Working...
                                X