Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
    Yes, ff.net has frakked with its page coding, it wasn't this way yesterday.
    Raimond (the program's author) will have to update the program.
    Bummer - why do people insist on frakking with stuff that's perfectly good and doesn't need frakking with? It's beyond me. I haven't tried using the ff downloader for a week or two so I'll be assuming I'm going to have issues too if it's a recent thing. Bugger. Thanks for the heads up everyone and thanks for the new link too!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

even the old one gives you the gibberish. basically, from what i read amongst all the symbols, it's ff.net's statistics software and the little 'bugs' on the page, tracking who is/isn't reading etc, that the downloader is pickingup.

basically, there's likely invisible gif's on the page to feed their stats machine, that we dont' see but that the downloader sees and downloads.....basically it's invisible code on the page.

I know nothing about coding, but I imagine that it's relatively easy to tell the downloader 'don't see this'. and it is easy to just delete the gibberish and still have the fic intact.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My first fic was archived at Helio. And, back in the day, i literally read it from A to Z (they had about 2000 fic, so it was easy)

over the years the archive has passed hands and, last i knew, a fan owned it...but it's expensive to own a site like that. And she works on it in her spare time with her spare money. That's why she used the auto upload software, there's no way one person could find and format all those fic.

That's why most major archives are self-uploaders. I too have had issues with the archive at at.com,b ut I also know that ownership of that site has changed, so maybe other things will eventually change too.

I know this site's fanfic archive was a self-upload...then we had a WONDERFUL soul that used it to try and hack the site and upload viruses, so we took it down and, Darren means to get it back up, but it's been years and hwile it's on his list, it's not a priority.

I put my stuff on ff.net, because helio or even my site gets zero feedback. And yes, i do write for me...but it's nice if someone else reads it every once in a while

my biggest issue with ff.net is their absolute zero consideration for those using the site. cause it's not 'we're gonna change this' it's usually a half hearted 'oh, by the way, we changed this last month' and no one seems to care if it messes up your fic
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
          I remember that Heliopolis was the first site where I found fanfic (years ago, when I first got into SG-1). But I like the format at FF.net better, and have built up quite a happy little following there, which is shocking. I'm still amazed that anyone wants to read this stuff.
          I've actually very rarely read anything over at Helio. My primary right now is FF.net which I prefer overall in formatting. It feels designed for fanfic. My only qualm with it is that it's too dang picky about rules and regs You know, ratings, formatting, etc (yes I read through all the guidelines once). The notifications go down, but y'know, I'm not paying for it.

That said I do post over at samandjackalwaysandforever.net - I only wish they sent to you the content of the reviews in their e-mails.

The last place I post is now LJ. I still do NOT like LJ for fic, but I have noticed there are people who read regularly over there that I never see on my ff.net - and some I see in all three.

I get pretty decent responses from all three locations.

Anyhow.

I don't get nearly the response from the other site where I archive--I think it's because I don't write smut. Anything "randy" there gets a ton of attention, regardless of quality. It's a little annoying. (And yes, I know I'm kind of snobby that way.)

And we write for ourselves, and blah blah blah, but it's more motivating when others follow along.

I think I'm with you, Pol, on the time thing. Especially now that the kids are out of school--that will seriously cut down on my computer time. . .

Thanks for your responses, all of you! I really do appreciate it.
          Smut's not the only one that gets unabashed love. Fluff does as well. I have several very angsty pieces that I'm super proud of and they're virtually unreviewed (my tag to "Unending" titled "Coda" for example). I do write gutter as I enjoy it myself, but I don't like it just for the sake of it, I like it to pertain to the story and add a level of realism I think any relationship has.

Anyway, I'll write a fluff piece and everyone raves about it (and yes, I definitely appreciate the reviews!), I'm just saying that I do feel a little disappointed that people don't go for my angstier, harder to read pieces.

I wish I had time to write longer stories like I used to (if I had the time to tackle another Supposed Crime series) - but right now I'm stuck to one-shots - with 40 hour work week, a toddler, and a husband, I barely have time to breathe.

So sometimes I like a dirty little story LOL

Comment

Hey,
            thanks for recs. I found many stories which I haven't read yet. I will add these authors into my favourite list and I start to read their fics.
            I am sure you recommended great authors.

And I have a question. I am looking for fics about Sanctuary and SG- 1 - crossrover ( something about Helen / Sam meeting ) ..
            I have read "Convention" and I would like to read more. Will you recommend me something ?
            Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
            / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha.Majka View Post
              Hey,
              thanks for recs. I found many stories which I haven't read yet. I will add these authors into my favourite list and I start to read their fics.
              I am sure you recommended great authors.

And I have a question. I am looking for fics about Sanctuary and SG- 1 - crossrover ( something about Helen / Sam meeting ) ..
              I have read "Convention" and I would like to read more. Will you recommend me something ?
              I don't remember the title (so this could have been the story you just read) but there was one where Jack and Helen share an elevator. Anyone? Anyone?

Comment

Cute story:

Homer and Schrodinger

Comment

While the request has been made for crossovers, does anyone remember the SG-1/Eureka crossover where Jack O'Neill meets Jack Carter, who's Sam's cousin, or brother, or something? For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. Thanks!
                  sigpic
                  The Return of King Arthur
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                  acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    While the request has been made for crossovers, does anyone remember the SG-1/Eureka crossover where Jack O'Neill meets Jack Carter, who's Sam's cousin, or brother, or something? For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. Thanks!
                    It might be The Universal Tendencies of Super Geniuses?

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                      Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      It might also be Small World... Both are great stories
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        Originally posted by Cort View Post
                        It might also be Small World... Both are great stories
                        Thank you! Green to you both!
                        sigpic
                        The Return of King Arthur
                        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                          I only post my stuff at ff.net,
                          Ditto for me. I'd rather keep all my fic in one place.

Hmmm, I think I made a halfhearted attempt to post some fic at amandatapping.com, but the site had issues, so I gave up. Someday, though, Amanda will know my name. grin.
                          Hmm, I dunno. I'd rather a producer/writer/actor know my name professionally/personally rather than by fanfic.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                            Ditto for me. I'd rather keep all my fic in one place.

Hmm, I dunno. I'd rather a producer/writer/actor know my name professionally/personally rather than by fanfic.
                            I never said how she'd know my name! <grin>
                            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                              I'm trying to think of the name of the fic where teenage Sam goes to live with an aunt and uncle in Minnesota, meets Jack, who naturally is a bit old for her, --and of course, a twist before the story ends. I think it would be okay to give the name and author, but not the link, because of the rating, though not sure of the rating at this time.
                              No bites? I realize this is rec site, but just thought someone would remember it.
                              Last edited by Gatetrixer; 19 June 2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                                No bites? I realize this is rec site, but just thought someone would remember it.
                                Somewhere in Time by Ziva/Amy Sithens
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X