Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HONOR--An Atlantis scientist meets the Wraiths. Up close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traveler64 View Post
    Absolutely NOT! That is a promise and a pledge. That's one part of the plot I don't mind giving away ahead of time.
    wonderful!

Comment

Good, I can stop stressing about that. Ya know how i like to stress myself out if i think a character i like might get killed off. (eve if it may be for a noble reason)
      sigpic

Comment

*does a happy dance*
        Excellent T64 The Wraith Commander is an amazing character, and so is Vries. I love the direction you're going, and looking forward to the next part.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchcaf View Post
          *does a happy dance*
          Excellent T64 The Wraith Commander is an amazing character, and so is Vries. I love the direction you're going, and looking forward to the next part.
          thank you! I am so glad everyone is enjoying this. I started it on a lark, I'm not even sure what triggered it; my first fanfic too. Well, not quite fanfic, because I am not using any of the existing characters in SGA, besides the 'generic' Wraith character.

I freaking cut my finger today--the index finger--so I cannot really type. Sigh...

No, it was not while trying to feed on Todd and got myself cut in the finger guard. Pfffff....
          HONOR. A story. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...22#post8549622

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
            the end of chapter six is the best part so far, keep it up!
            Thanks! Yeah, that was the most hard hitting one.

More is coming soon. I'm nursing a cut finger so typing is slow.

sigpic

Comment

Hi,

I'm really enjoying your fic Traveller64, can't wait to see what will happen next.

Comment

Originally posted by angela21 View Post
                Hi,

I'm really enjoying your fic Traveller64, can't wait to see what will happen next.

Thank you! More is coming, probably even today; just a small bit, though. I hope you'll like the rest.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler64 View Post
                  Thank you! More is coming, probably even today; just a small bit, though. I hope you'll like the rest.
                  everyone's liked it so far.

Comment

EPISODE 10

HONOR

Just one episode for tonight. I am still fiddling with the 'dramatic' of the next episodes where I have to weave everything for the ending.

Spoiler:

I had always thought of a hive ship as a cave-like, labyrinthine existence, all inward, towards the heart of the structure where a Queen would reside in dark and dank claustrophobia in spite of the vastness of the ship.

That is why I was startled when the Wraith led me into a large chamber that seemed located somewhere in the front of the ship, three sides of it ceiling to wall panoramic view of the planet below us and the moons and stars beyond. The walls were curved and elaborately constructed with columns and lattices from a hard and glossy organic material that looked very much like amber, except it had a blue and green hue. The floor was from the same material, burnished to a mirror surface, the skies reflecting into it upside down. There were two throne like benches, on the opposing walls, a glowing panel of gold liquid behind them. On the far side was a console with softly gleaming lights.

However, most interesting—besides the Commander who stood at the transparent walls with the galaxy behind him, all bedecked in a bluish black ankle length coat with elaborate silver and embossing—was the column of deeply blue luminescent liquid that glowed like the heart of a sapphire. The beauty of that light took my breath away. The column rose from a plinth of that blue amber and ended in a crown that rose to the ceiling.

Then there was that smell, like nowhere else in the ship—like heavy scented exotic flowers of unknown names and spices of unknown worlds.

The light, the view, the imposing presence of the Commander as he stood alone and very likely the scent derailed me from my purpose for a brief, hesitating moment.

“What is your answer, Elena Vries?” He came around the blue column and stood in front of him, the glow behind him like a halo around his white hair.

“What you proposed is not a valid plan. It will still require twenty lives and it will also end with your death.”

The amber of his eyes was touched by pinpoints of blue light. “I am touched by your concern for my fate.” There was definite sarcasm in the voice.

“Actually, Commander, that would be the only good thing about your plan,” I shot back. “Your fate concerns me only in that you will not be there to ensure that our agreement is respected and to prevent a powerful alliance between two queens who will feel no obligation to carry out the terms of the deal you and I struck.”

“You think like a Wraith. That is most gratifying.”

I offered a Wraith-like snort; a very good imitation, if I may say so myself.

“So, Elena Vries, you do not accept my proposal.”

“No. And you knew that, Commander.”

He inclined his head in open acknowledgement.

“I will not agree, Commander, to any plan that falls short even by one life.”

“Such a thing might not be possible.”

“Then there’s no deal.” As I spoke these words, I was acutely aware that he could hit me over the head at any time and take what he wanted. “Let me tell you exactly the terms.”

“You speak in the name of Atlantis?”

“Yes,” I said with all the certitude I could put in my voice. Let’s hope so… It became obvious to me that the reason the Commander did not just feed on me at this point, was because he also wanted an alliance with Atlantis, an ace up his sleeve that would trump many other alliances he could come up with. Hoping that I got it right, I continued with my most Doctor Vries arrogant and self confident voice. “These are the terms. The lives of your worshippers are preserved, and as you already suggested, your hive will not cull the planets under the Atlantis protection—“

“The planets that are currently with ties to you. If they are enemies—like the Genii—“ he grinned, “they are ours.”

“Quite frankly, I’d love to see the Genii culled, especially a certain faction, but, no, the Genii are included.”

“Very well…” He nodded slowly. “I might not, however, guarantee the life of the worshipers long term.”

Such honesty in a Wraith… “Why do you have worshippers?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” He seemed to shrug. “A symbol of power. It shows success. A weak, starving hive that cannot obtain its share of culling, does not have worshippers.”

“Fine. I assume you can get other worshippers.”

“Many come willingly; and those who do not, shortly become willing.”

“If so, I would ask that the worshippers you have now be released in the care of Atlantis.”

“You are very wrong about them. They will not go gladly.” He looked aside. “But, these are corrupted. I do not want them. They are yours. Although, if I am to discard them, it’s a pity to just give them to you when there are starving hives that would become my vassals for the price of these humans. Also, other humans would be taken to replace them for feeding the Wraiths.” He seemed to shrug. “As you wish. It doesn’t seem to shift the equation.”

I winced. Wraiths had to feed; and if it wasn’t these wretched humans, readily available to be passed around, then there would be others. Yes, it did not shift the equation. Not really…

“These are all your terms?” the Commander interrupted my musings.

“No. Also, any plan must ensure your survival. Not because I care what happens to you, but because you are needed to ensure that these terms are met. Furthermore, if my understanding is correct, with a Queen you will be able to form powerful alliances. Your allies will have to abide by the terms of your alliance with Atlantis.”

“—as long as the hives allied with me abide by the terms. We live and act by different rules than humans.”

Ah, a fine point. But, give and take. “Understood. Bottom line, everybody stays alive and goes home.”

“If I agree with these terms, you will provide what I need to obtain a Queen for my hive.”

“Yes.” Why did I feel that I walked into a Wraith’s web?

He brightened up, which included a very green glimmer in his eyes and a very toothy smile. He looked like a Wraith’s version of a kid in a candy store. “I agree with your terms!” he exclaimed.

I fell very silent.

He took a step forward. I could see the details of his opalescent face. I wondered if Wraith had any games and if they were similar to chess? Because this Wraith was playing that game very, very well. I was being check-mated. He announced: “I have the plan that will achieve both our purposes.”

“I assume it involves my Ancient gene.”

“Of course.” He stood in front of me looking like a purring cat. Or preying mantis. “It is a matter of small nuisance to you, just a passing inconvenience with a great benefit for both our races. It is not something you would miss.” He stepped up to the glowing blue column and put his feeding hand on it, his fingers splayed out, as if to draw the energy from it. “This, Doctor Vries, is as ancient as the Wraiths. I believe it was designed by the Ancients and we took it. This is where a Queen is created. It’s where the mingled DNA of the Wraith and Ancient cells that would be fused from you and me, creates a Wraith Queen.”

I felt a sickening plop in my stomach. Cells? What cells?

His hand slowly moved down the length of the column. “It’s been on this ship empty for thousands of years.”

“What is your plan, then?” I asked as coolly as I could. I had a feeling that it had its unpleasant parts.

His face was turned to the blue glow, the light penetrating the iris of his eye, making it look like crystal, “We are running out of time,” he hissed.

“Let me rephrase that, Commander—what is different from the previous plan?”

“You will provide your entire DNA and essence.” His head whipped around and his gaze lashed at me. “You will have to trust a Wraith, Elena Vries.”

His hand came at me so quickly that I did not even have time to flinch. The tip of his finger guards ripped the silk of my tunic. At the very moment his fingers gripped, I became numb, my mind winding down in a spiral. I thought I heard myself say: “I want to feed upon ten Godiva chocolate cheese cake slices,” my voice as if a soundtrack on slow.

sigpic

Comment

I love your description of the hive ship and the attitude of the commander, but you've left us in suspense... how dare you!

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
                        I love your description of the hive ship and the attitude of the commander, but you've left us in suspense... how dare you!
                        I have no shame. Mwahahaha.

It won't be long.

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely amazing story! I love it. Write more. I am already addicted
                          LONG LIVE THE WRAITH!
                          Member of the Wraith' Defenders Club
                          http://petitionspot.com/petitions/wraithrights/
                          My fan fiction

Comment

your evil, so very evil!! Leave us hanging like that! Once again you have done an amazing job with description. I absolutely love this wraith!! (Why cant SGA give us characters that are this good? im begining to like fanfic more than the show!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Woah, I didn't see that coming! I wonder what exactly he is doing... Your commander is as intriguing as always, elusive and fascinating.
                              My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                              Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by female Wraith View Post
                                Absolutely amazing story! I love it. Write more. I am already addicted
                                Thank you so much for peeking in and for your compliment! More is coming. How much more depends on how many more wild ideas I get . I am actually becoming very attached to the Commander.

Originally posted by masterling View Post
                                your evil, so very evil!! Leave us hanging like that! Once again you have done an amazing job with description. I absolutely love this wraith!! (Why cant SGA give us characters that are this good? im begining to like fanfic more than the show!!)
                                May I offer a 'mwahahahahaha'? I had to stop at that point--in addition to the cliffhanger--because of the next episode: I am 'constructing' it carefully since it is the heart of the story in many ways, and it needs to lead to the following 'act' without lingering and taking the edge off it. Yah know... that kind of stuff.

As for the Commander--yeah, I am getting to be very fond of him. As for SGA--they have attempted something like this with Todd and it has become wildly successful. But being mostly men writers, and scifi writers which doesn't always lend itself to subtle stuff, they don't seem to make it past that emotional threshold where a Wraith is much more than a plot instrument and the evil Wraith. If they took it to where a Wraith was dangerous, cunning and powerful, but complex and highly intelligent, then I think we would have something truly interesting.

Take the concept of wraith worshippers. A simple explanation on their part would make it so much more interesting--they almost did in BT: they are property and a symbol of a hive's success and power; like wealth. Like the slaves in Ancient Rome. Some are born to it, others are made worshippers.

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
                                Woah, I didn't see that coming! I wonder what exactly he is doing... Your commander is as intriguing as always, elusive and fascinating.
                                I guess we're going to have to trust a Wraith. A dangerous concept.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X