No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More like, only the true master could make me read a fic about Pete. I'd *pay* to see him likable. Such a waste of screen time, that character. Too bad they killed off Joe. I liked Joe. He was nifty.
    you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

So, in the fic Jack is the bad one... another twist.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        So, in the fic Jack is the bad one... another twist.
        Uh, how is he the bad one? He's single, Pete is the one engaged to Sam. Sure, it's not really the nicest thing to sleep with the partner of a friend/love interest out of revenge, but it doesn't sound like he was forcing himself on Pete who is in fact engaged to said friend/love interest.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
          More like, only the true master could make me read a fic about Pete. I'd *pay* to see him likable. Such a waste of screen time, that character. Too bad they killed off Joe. I liked Joe. He was nifty.
          I tried, once just to see if I could. I think he still came off as a passive-aggressive, controlling a-*** but see for yourself if u like:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9332899/...e-Things-Right
          Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
            I can assure you, it was neither palatable or believable (from skimming over the NC-17 parts I gather that the plot went "Jack's frustrated over Pete marrying Sam so Jack sleeps with Pete"... Uh, ooookay... Is that the normal reaction? I think I'd believe Jack got revenge by sleeping with Laira/Janet/Anise over Pete but that's just me lol
            I think Jack would not sleep with anyone out of revenge - he's not that immature. But if the writer enjoyed writing that fic, and the fic found its readers, I guess it was worth it? I doubt I'll be reading it an time soon, though.

Comment

Personally, I think it's impossible for anyone to write Pete that way considering how TPTB portrayed the character in the show. Background checks, stalking, interfering with a military operation and nearly getting yourself and everyone else killed - and all that while being a (presumably) accomplished detective of the Denver police department...
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                Personally, I think it's impossible for anyone to write Pete that way considering how TPTB portrayed the character in the show. Background checks, stalking, interfering with a military operation and nearly getting yourself and everyone else killed - and all that while being a (presumably) accomplished detective of the Denver police department...
                I will not say anything about Pete because I barely remember him. But some fanfic writers succeeded in making me like characters that I loathed in canon. I think it is possible if one really put their mind to it.

Comment

It boggles the mind, doesn't it. How the writers thought they were introducing an interesting character, but more to the point, how they thought the viewers would believe and get into their romance, for lack of a better term. It's shocking.

There are characters I love and those I hate on SG-1, but none were as pointless and flaky and tool-y as Pete was.
                  you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                    I will not say anything about Pete because I barely remember him. But some fanfic writers succeeded in making me like characters that I loathed in canon. I think it is possible if one really put their mind to it.
                    Well, that has never occurred to me but maybe that's because I really dislike OOC-ness and my interpretation from what we've seen of Pete on the show in this case really tells me it would be impossible to keep him in character and a likable/respectable person, especially when in a relationship with Sam.
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

It boggles the mind, doesn't it. How the writers thought they were introducing an interesting character, but more to the point, how they thought the viewers would believe and get into their romance, for lack of a better term. It's shocking.

There are characters I love and those I hate on SG-1, but none were as pointless and flaky and tool-y as Pete was.
                      Yeah, it's like they can only give Sam lunatic fringe guys Of all the love interests on the show I think Ishta and Kerry were probably the only normal ones.
                      On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Yeah, it's like they can only give Sam lunatic fringe guys Of all the love interests on the show I think Ishta and Kerry were probably the only normal ones.
                        Define "lunatic fringe"? The only guy that Sam was involved with and was truly insane, was Jonas!
                        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I found Ishta a bit heavy-handed a lot of the time. And pouty. She was very pouty.

I didn't mind Kerry, but then there wasn't much to mind as she was there for all of five minutes to enlighten Jack about the last eight years of his life.

Also. JOEEEEEEEE.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                            Define "lunatic fringe"? The only guy that Sam was involved with and was truly insane, was Jonas!
                            Uh, I disagree. Narim of the Tollan used an alien device that had recorded his emotions whenever he was around her and handed it to her to experience it herself and then, while she was basically under the influence of alien technology, he kissed her. Not to mention that he programmed his house to use her voice! That's creepy.

Martouf kept pushing for her to remember all the wonderful times he'd had with Jolinar and nearly kissed her (once in The Tok'ra before they were interrupted and again in Ripple Effect) while Jolinar's memories were overwhelming Sam's mind.

Pete ran a background check on her after they'd slept together for the first time because she couldn't tell him the details about her job and he - a detective who should know the meaning of classified - ran off in a hissy fit. Then he stalked her to a stakeout and interfered with SG-1's operation and nearly got himself and all of SG-1 killed, not mention let Osiris get away (and loose on Earth).

Joe had no problems making a deal with the Aschen to limit the population's fertility without telling anyone and snuck it in their vaccines against disease and to prolong health. The only reason he was upset about when Sam told him was that the Aschen had lied (who'd a thunk from a race that sterilizes people without their knowledge?!) and the actual number of infertile people was higher and he and Sam were affected too. Really, I think his outrage was mostly about him not being able to have kids and perhaps getting caught by Sam more so than the numbers/Aschen lie.

Orlin descended for her and claimed he loved her, all from observing (aka stalking) her from his higher plane of existence. He also used his powers, twice (once involuntarily and only asked for her consent the second time) to have mind sex with her. Not to mention he still wanted a relationship with her when he came back in season 9 even though he was a child and Sam a fully grown woman; he didn't understand why that would be problem.

Let's see... did I forget anyone other than the occasional alien who made eyes at her? I don't think Barrett really counts as she shot him down both times he asked her out, but I guess he was one of the normal ones too if he does count.

I found Ishta a bit heavy-handed a lot of the time. And pouty. She was very pouty.

I didn't mind Kerry, but then there wasn't much to mind as she was there for all of five minutes to enlighten Jack about the last eight years of his life.

Also. JOEEEEEEEE.
                            Yes, Ishta came on a bit strong and sometimes entitled but I figured that was a Jaffa thing. It's not the character's fault that the actress has pouty lips! Besides, her character was only created because CJ wanted to make out with the actress and then wrote a script about Teal'c's new love interest...

For Joe, see above I did like him in 2001 but all his potential was ruined by 2010.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Uh, how is he the bad one? He's single, Pete is the one engaged to Sam. Sure, it's not really the nicest thing to sleep with the partner of a friend/love interest out of revenge, but it doesn't sound like he was forcing himself on Pete who is in fact engaged to said friend/love interest.
                              I read it as a revenge-thing... Kinda like "Ha, I slept with your boyfriend."

And if observing someone you like is considered a bad thing, than most of us are in some serious trouble I would think. It's the matter of observation, but still...
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I agree, Fems. There aren't many of Sam's suitors I actually like all that much. They are all infatuated with her beauty/what they *think* she is rather than having genuine love for her - that's why I like Jack so much. In the words of Mark Darcy, he likes her "Just as she is", all gun-toting, ass-kicking, sun-blowing-up, crap-at-emotions imperfect Samantha Carter.

And, best of all, he's just as screwed up emotionally as she is! Pete couldn't handle a woman like Sam in a month of Sundays
                                Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Working...
                                X