Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    "Lit" can also be a noun... in slang. Short for "literature".

*ducks flying vegetables whose freshness is highly questionable*

What?
    Don't worry about the vegetables--in my version of "lit", I couldn't hit you with them if I tried.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I hate it when the characters or portrayed in a way that is anthema to how they appeared in the series, for example in one crossover fic with BSG2003 and SG1/SGA there was a chapter where jack threatened to kill a baby which is nothing like him not just because of his personal experiance of having his child fie but he is a moral person, the story though portrayed him as some sort of bloodthirsty monster

Join the Stargate Alliance
      http://wawgame.eu/federations/federation/110/

Comment

Yes, out of characterness is awful but your example really takes the cake!
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

One rather specific peeve I have is when two characters, usually whilst drunk, get married off-world and then have to go through great trials and tribulations back on Earth to get said marriage annulled or get a divorce. I'm sorry, but since when did drunken Vegas-style marriages on an alien planet become legally binding back on Earth??
          My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
            One rather specific peeve I have is when two characters, usually whilst drunk, get married off-world and then have to go through great trials and tribulations back on Earth to get said marriage annulled or get a divorce. I'm sorry, but since when did drunken Vegas-style marriages on an alien planet become legally binding back on Earth??
            Aliens made them do it... it's a trope. I think. ... *ponders*
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I came across a "peeve" in one of the Stargate novels recently. The story takes place about the 5th season of the series, and throughout the story, people were referring to Daniel as "the young man" and/or "the boy" and treating him as though he were some sort of fragile little flower. If Daniel was born around 1964 (as he suggests in "1969), he would definitely no longer be a "boy" by Season 5. More like 35 or older.

I don't understand why people insist on making him so childlike and little boyish when he's a grown man. Hmph!

Comment

Oh good grief, I hear you on that!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  I came across a "peeve" in one of the Stargate novels recently. The story takes place about the 5th season of the series, and throughout the story, people were referring to Daniel as "the young man" and/or "the boy" and treating him as though he were some sort of fragile little flower. If Daniel was born around 1964 (as he suggests in "1969), he would definitely no longer be a "boy" by Season 5. More like 35 or older.

I don't understand why people insist on making him so childlike and little boyish when he's a grown man. Hmph!
                  Daniel has been 'babyified' since day one. Some writers prefer to interpret him as all innocent and naive, bookish, thin, fragile etc.....he grew up all over the world, then after he left foster care (which we have zero canon that he was abused, yet more babyish writers of course, make him an abused kid) he went into a field that has him traveling to digs...dude probably has more frequent flyer miles than Jack.

He may be lacking in knowledge about military ops, but he's no innocent wide eyed virgin.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Aliens made them do it can be well done if the author uses it so that the alien mind-altering substance (or machine) lowers their inhibitions to allow the character to admit what's really in their heart. Jack admitting he loves Sam, for example (I'm an S/J shipper, sort of, in that I watch more SGA than SG-1). Now Jack admitting that he has deep-seated feelings of lust for Thor or wanting to help some alien sheep over the fence (PM me if you're over 18 & don't get that) would be completely OOC.

Daniel innocent? HA! As Sky pointed out, he grew up in foster care (which I don't know much about the whole situation, except that his parents died--car crash?) and he's been on digs in the Middle East. He's probably logged at least as much time in Iraq and/or Iran and other "hot spots" as Jack, but without the benefit of military back-up. He's had to learn languages, cultures and how to not get killed while searching for the past. He lived off-world for a whole year, then had to watch as his wife was hi-jacked by powerful aliens. He's not a babe in the woods, by any stretch of the imagination.

In SGA, writers sometimes do the same(ish) thing with Lorne, making him the "aww-shucks" guy. Really annoying, when there's so much more to his character.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                      Aliens made them do it can be well done if the author uses it so that the alien mind-altering substance (or machine) lowers their inhibitions to allow the character to admit what's really in their heart. Jack admitting he loves Sam, for example (I'm an S/J shipper, sort of, in that I watch more SGA than SG-1). Now Jack admitting that he has deep-seated feelings of lust for Thor or wanting to help some alien sheep over the fence (PM me if you're over 18 & don't get that) would be completely OOC.
                      I agree with that; it's not the whole "aliens made them less inhibited" that I disagree with, but rather that the marriage that they invariable enter into without knowledge is some how supposed to be legally binding back on Earth. My arse it is.
                      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

I really, really, really hate fics like that! They're almost as bad as the ones were Sam breaks down into tears for no apparent reason every 5 minutes! Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I discovered a peeve the other day, I was reading a fic where the author had the characters swearing, but couldn't bring themself to write the words, so it was full of d*** and c*** and h***. Now I know that some people don't like writing swear words, but my feeling is if you can't write the words, don't have the characters use them. It just bugged me a bit!
                        The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
                          I really, really, really hate fics like that! They're almost as bad as the ones were Sam breaks down into tears for no apparent reason every 5 minutes! Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I discovered a peeve the other day, I was reading a fic where the author had the characters swearing, but couldn't bring themself to write the words, so it was full of d*** and c*** and h***. Now I know that some people don't like writing swear words, but my feeling is if you can't write the words, don't have the characters use them. It just bugged me a bit!
                          Oh, that would aggravate me no end. THAT would earn a blazing review/PM. As my Gram used to say, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

Thanks, Seaboe, for letting me know what happened in canon to Daniel's folks!
                          sigpic

Comment

One thing about 'aliens made them do it'.....well the show does that. Broca Divide, Naked Time, Naked Now..almost a scifi staple. So while it is a fic peeve, the show usually does it first
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post

Oh, dear Ghu, this. My version of Frank Cromwell swears like... well, like a combat-hardened Special Tactics operator with years of experience. Because that's what he is. (Interestingly, he does this only when he's speaking English or thinking in it; I don't have the vocabulary to do it justice in the quasi-Welsh of the people among whom he finds himself living for a time. ) And my version of Jack cusses too, for the very same reason Frank does. In my Gateverse, they spent a dozen years practically joined at the hip prior to Jack's capture during the Persian Gulf War, and probably enriched each other's vocabularies.

Fortunately, I'm fluent in profanity myself, and I'm not afraid to write it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                                Oh, that would aggravate me no end. THAT would earn a blazing review/PM. As my Gram used to say, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"
                                Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                                Oh, dear Ghu, this. My version of Frank Cromwell swears like... well, like a combat-hardened Special Tactics operator with years of experience. Because that's what he is. (Interestingly, he does this only when he's speaking English or thinking in it; I don't have the vocabulary to do it justice in the quasi-Welsh of the people among whom he finds himself living for a time. ) And my version of Jack cusses too, for the very same reason Frank does. In my Gateverse, they spent a dozen years practically joined at the hip prior to Jack's capture during the Persian Gulf War, and probably enriched each other's vocabularies.

Fortunately, I'm fluent in profanity myself, and I'm not afraid to write it.
                                I got really frustrated because the '****' really ruined the flow of the story for me and I had started to enjoy the way it was going. However, it's one of those times when the annoyance factor of the pet peeve was greater than the draw of the story, so I gave up. I know the characters on the show don't really swear that often, but I have no problem with them swearing in fics because fics aren't subject to the language restrictions of TV. However, if a writer is going to have them swearing they should do it properly (not with the use of ****) or not do it all!

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                One thing about 'aliens made them do it'.....well the show does that. Broca Divide, Naked Time, Naked Now..almost a scifi staple. So while it is a fic peeve, the show usually does it first
                                As will all my pet peeves, I'm willing to overlook the 'aliens made them do it' aspect if the story is good enough and the characters are well written. I think that my main requirement of a fic is that the characters are in character. As long as I can picture Sam, Jack, Daniel, Teal'c etc saying or doing what it written, I'll give most things a chance.
                                The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Working...
                                X