Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Personally, I prefer wove and dove, although technically I think you can use either. Wove and dove simply seem more elegant (and more correct to someone like myself who studied grammar when the rules were a bit more clear).
    My thoughts as well. I've been reading a lot of Stargate Novels recently, and the authors keep using the dived/weaved/add other similar kinds of wording in their stories, and it just doesn't read properly for me. I find it annoying.

Comment

even the editors must find it acceptable then but i see where your coming from
      sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

What I've learned is:

To dive - dived - dived

To weave - wove - woven

My (translation) dictionary says that's true too with 'to weave' listed under irregular verbs, but not 'to dive'.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Personally, I prefer wove and dove, although technically I think you can use either. Wove and dove simply seem more elegant (and more correct to someone like myself who studied grammar when the rules were a bit more clear).
          It may be an American thing, as I'm sure you'll not find anyone in the UK using 'dove'. It sounds wrong to me, and I would use 'dived'.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
            It may be an American thing, as I'm sure you'll not find anyone in the UK using 'dove'. It sounds wrong to me, and I would use 'dived'.
            I agree. Dove is a type of bird to me.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
              I do see that more in Brit writing, but even then, bear in mind who the speaker is when you write it (and this includes whose POV you're writing from, if it isn't dialogue). If the person who is saying the word, or from whose POV you're writing that passage, happens to be American, it's still proper to use the American wording for things.

It occurs to me that if I were a fictional character, I'd be difficult to write, since I'm an American who tends to think/speak in British terms just often enough that it confuses people.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                I agree. Dove is a type of bird to me.
                It's also a nice brand. But apparently in speech dove is also used, especially by Canadians and Americans.
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The usage and origins of "dove" explained, from this source:

Both dived and dove are standard as the past tense of dive. Dived, historically the older form, is somewhat more common in edited writing, but dove occurs there so frequently that it also must be considered standard: The rescuer dove into 20 feet of icy water. Dove is an Americanism that probably developed by analogy with alternations like drive, drove and ride, rode.
                  Note that "dove" as the past participle of "dive" is pronounced with a completely different vowel sound from "dove" as a bird or a brand of soap-related products.

According to the same source, weaved and wove are each correct in differing contexts.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I would use 'dove' and 'wove', which rhyme.
                    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I do see that more in Brit writing, but even then, bear in mind who the speaker is when you write it (and this includes whose POV you're writing from, if it isn't dialogue). If the person who is saying the word, or from whose POV you're writing that passage, happens to be American, it's still proper to use the American wording for things.

It occurs to me that if I were a fictional character, I'd be difficult to write, since I'm an American who tends to think/speak in British terms just often enough that it confuses people.
                      It's interesting because I can't say that the word 'dove' is even on my radar (with that meaning). I must have read/heard it at some point over the years but my brain has somehow ignored it. Looks like I can't now. Even though I can't imagine ever using it. It sounds so wrong to my ears!

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      It's also a nice brand. But apparently in speech dove is also used, especially by Canadians and Americans.
                      Ah yes. I'd forgotten it was a brand name.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's a brand name for soap, shampoos and chocolate

I know I'd say 'well Frankie just dove right in'
                        Dived doesn't sound right.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Dove and wove are archaic forms as well as normal North American usage.

Lit (as in he lit a candle) is also a North American usage, although it is (alas) fading in favor of lighted, which is longer and much less elegant.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Lit (as in he lit a candle) is also a North American usage, although it is (alas) fading in favor of lighted, which is longer and much less elegant.

Seaboe
                            Perhaps, but I've learned both versions of to light yet only dived/wove in English in high school and it's the same in my dictionary as well. So I'm inclined to say lighted/lit was probably accepted earlier as official tenses, if those other two are even officially accepted these days in dictionaries.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              It's a brand name for soap, shampoos and chocolate

I know I'd say 'well Frankie just dove right in'
                              Dived doesn't sound right.
                              dove (duh'v) is a bird and soap brand
                              dove (doe-v) as in dove off the edge

Too bad we have so many words spelled the same way, but spoken differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
                                "He lighted a candle"? I've never heard that... it just sounds so... odd.
                                My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Working...
                                X