Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little thread spamming in an effort to make sure folks aren't caught off guard this weekend

Heads up re the next Server Move:

Estimated downtime will be 3-4hrs between the 11th and 14th of October.
    Changes to DNS settings will be nearly instantaneous for most of us, but propagation (ie reconnection to the new server address) may take hours,or as much as 24-48 hours to reach everyone, since it depends on your ISP.

If there are any changes to that schedule,or any other info,we'll try to let you all know in advance via the Ask the Mods thread ,this thread ,the Alphasite and/or GW Twitter.

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Feel free to pass the info around.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      You're welcome, but I'm not the one who found it. I was just commenting that it was the one I remember from the description.
      *hides in shame*

Thx JanSam

Comment

i'm trying to save some old ff stories from FF.Net to microsoft word but i can't. anybody know why this is?

Comment

What happens when you try? How are you going about it?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
            i'm trying to save some old ff stories from FF.Net to microsoft word but i can't. anybody know why this is?
            Yes, it's a new feature called copy protection. You know, designed to prevent people from plagiarizing other people's work.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Yes, it's a new feature called copy protection. You know, designed to prevent people from plagiarizing other people's work.
              ah i see.

Comment

So now we can't save favorite stories to read in case FF.net ever goes away, or does some weird mass deletion in a fandom? That's a little harsh.

Here's one workaround, though. You can go through and do a save of each chapter of the story as a web page, and put them in a folder. In Firefox, IE or Chrome, you should be able to do this by hitting Ctrl+S. I just tested it on a random story and it worked. Won't get it into a Word doc, but at least you can view the pages offline.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  So now we can't save favorite stories to read in case FF.net ever goes away, or does some weird mass deletion in a fandom? That's a little harsh.

Here's one workaround, though. You can go through and do a save of each chapter of the story as a web page, and put them in a folder. In Firefox, IE or Chrome, you should be able to do this by hitting Ctrl+S. I just tested it on a random story and it worked. Won't get it into a Word doc, but at least you can view the pages offline.
                  There are many ways around it, most of them fixed within seconds. However, FFnet has stated they will implement another feature to allow authors to choose to disable the copy protection in their stories in the future, probably due to all the complaints.
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I just used Fanfiction Downloader to try and download a newly posted fic on ff.net. And it worked. No problem.

Comment

I'm looking for a fic where all four SG1 members become mini and end up back in high school. While they initially live in a house eventually they end up buying a farm. They constantly lack money and have after school jobs and someone (Jack I think) teaches martial arts, and Sam repairs cars.
                      I'm pretty sure I found it on fanfiction net a few years ago and while its lightly SJ romance its not tagged as such.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sass787 View Post
                        I'm looking for a fic where all four SG1 members become mini and end up back in high school. While they initially live in a house eventually they end up buying a farm. They constantly lack money and have after school jobs and someone (Jack I think) teaches martial arts, and Sam repairs cars.
                        I'm pretty sure I found it on fanfiction net a few years ago and while its lightly SJ romance its not tagged as such.
                        Thanks

That sounds like the Monkey Screaming series by SGCBearcub. The third part in the series is likely the part you recall, titled Silk and Chains, and can be found on FF.net in an edited version, and also on Heliopolis 2 and has the unedited adult ending.
                        sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post

If you use firefox, you can do View -> Page style -> No pagestyle. The page will look funny, but you can copy-paste as normal.
                          sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                            Was there ever a story written as an Au regarding the episode with the Tokra when they first met them that dealt with the team not getting able to leave the Tokra base and essentially were stuck there, Jacob never became a Tokra and so on? I was watching that episode and thought it would make a nice story if someone has written what might have happened. So does anyone know of one?
                            I have seen a few AUs that does some of this. Be warned that most will be Sam/Martouf/Lantash. If that is okay, I can try look through my bookmarks for them.

I do know there is a plot bunny for an idea like you mention, on Tok'ra resistance yahoo group, but I don't know if anyone has written it. I will ask there.

Also, take a look at Symbiotica. That's the best bet for finding stories involving Tok'ra.
                            sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Actually, I have written an AU of Tok'ra I&II, but it doesn't quite follow your idea (Jacob becomes host to Selmak, and SG-1 does make it away, though they have to flee).

Other Possiblities by Hathor_girl [R]
                              When they are not allowed to leave after meeting the Tok'ra, SG-1 decides to escape. They make it out - except Sam, who is left stranded among now hostile Tok'ra. How will she convince them to trust her - and what should she do about her growing feelings for Martouf and Lantash? AU of Tok'ra I&II.
                              Categories: Angst, Romance
                              Characters: Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill, Jacob/Selmak, Janet Fraiser, Martouf/Lantash, Other, Samantha Carter, Teal'c;
                              Chapters: 17; Completed: Yes
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                                If you use firefox, you can do View -> Page style -> No pagestyle. The page will look funny, but you can copy-paste as normal.
                                I can still use fanfiction downloader and it downloads fics just fine. I tried with several random stories and they all came out fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X