Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, the 3rd D is a mile high.

Comment

It may not be an ocean, but it's still pretty ocean-like.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        Still, you can't say that naval warfare is a strictly planar event.

Comment

Why would they call an F-22 a "Raptor" instead of "Air Superiority Fighter"?

Why would they call gunships in Vietnam "Puff the Magic Dragon"?

The original space shuttle was going to be "Discovery" if i recall. Why did they name it Enterprise?

Why call an FGM-148 Guided Anti-Tank rocket launcher a "Javelin"?

The GBU/43 Massive Ordanance Air Blast Bomb, Why is it so often mistaken fro "mother of all bombs?"

BECAUSE IT SOUNDS COOL. Space Force sounds like Buck Rogers is the General in charge with Colonel Flash Gordon in charge of the flagship, For all intents and purposes, the "hero" of the space force is "Star Man!"

StarFleet has a way of rolling off your tongue in an eloquent way. it implies a grandiousness and nobility that Space Force just doesn't have.
          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            Why would they call an F-22 a "Raptor" instead of "Air Superiority Fighter"?

Why would they call gunships in Vietnam "Puff the Magic Dragon"?

The original space shuttle was going to be "Discovery" if i recall. Why did they name it Enterprise?

BECAUSE IT SOUNDS COOL.
            PREACH MY MAN!! PREACH!!

i don't care if so90119 breaks the laws of physics, (well i do. Getting a wallet out of a black holes is a pain in the...you know ) or has ships fighting on a 2D plain, in "Continuing Stargate" as long as its ENTERTAINING!

Oh, and don't diss Starman. Its was one very well written comic book (says the guy collecting all the hardcover omnibuses )
            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
              PREACH MY MAN!! PREACH!!

i don't care if so90119 breaks the laws of physics, (well i do. Getting a wallet out of a black holes is a pain in the...you know ) or has ships fighting on a 2D plain, in "Continuing Stargate" as long as its ENTERTAINING!

Oh, and don't diss Starman. Its was one very well written comic book (says the guy collecting all the hardcover omnibuses )
              Well, that about sums it up. As long as it's entertaining, does it matter?

Besides, at least here, you can't see how the ships are fighting. So maybe the Fall of Earth saw fighting like they were on open water and maybe the Battle of P9X-335 had the ships fighting like they were in atmosphere. I guess it's up to how you want to imagine it!
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Kilman's right. It's a mix of air force and navy with a lot of never-before-tried-so-don't-do-this-at-home. Any space force has to combine the long endurance of the navy with the small crews and high maneuverability of the air force.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  As a side note, has anyone figured out to fix infoboxes on wikias yet? The technology one for the Continuing Stargate one is still out of whack and I've spent far too many hours trying to make it right...
                  I've fixed it for you, i don't know why this keeps happening . it happened whn i started my wiki and i found that you just have to be really specific with the code
                  SG Vennix
                  (Executive Producer/Creator)
                  - Coming Soon -
                  http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier

Comment

it's not about realism, its about how space is closer to the Air force than the Navy.

in fact, the only difference between the airforce and any spaceforce, would be that you cant use the friction of the atmosphere. so you can move differently. hell, a gargantuan 1km ship would move the same as a 10m long space fighter. slower, with engines that can cut a ship in half, but it's still the same.

the navy works mostly in 2d. the ship moves in 2d, a sub is well, a bit deeper but still there's no massive 3rd D. the closest navy thing is actually a navy/airforce hybrid, namely the aircraft carrier, and then STILL it's only the aircraft part that's actually close.

so yes, Space isn't an ocean. the only thing the navy has in common are the big ships. simply because big ships can't fly in the atmosphere.

and it would be FAR less cliché to name it Spaceforce and have it be airforce like, since almost everyone draws the parallel with navy even though it's wrong.

in fact, TV tropes almost congratulates SG for doing it more the Air Force way, even our ships sometimes move like fighters (in ways that are technically impossible, but i attribute them to the Inertialess drives installed), we use fighters, the SG program is Airforce, and again it pretty much is.

again, space is NOT an ocean, despite the fact that it initially seems that way. the only times a navy guy has to care about the 3rd D is when their Anti Air has to work or when a sub approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan93 View Post
                      I've fixed it for you, i don't know why this keeps happening . it happened whn i started my wiki and i found that you just have to be really specific with the code
                      ...you are the man, just so you know. Green for you!

Comment

cheers. if you need any more templates sorting out or setting up just let me know, thanks for the green
                        SG Vennix
                        - Coming Soon -
                        http://vennixproductions.wikia.com/

Star Chronicles: Dark Frontier

Comment

it's not about realism, its about how space is closer to the Air force than the Navy.

in fact, the only difference between the airforce and any spaceforce, would be that you cant use the friction of the atmosphere. so you can move differently. hell, a gargantuan 1km ship would move the same as a 10m long space fighter. slower, with engines that can cut a ship in half, but it's still the same.

the navy works mostly in 2d. the ship moves in 2d, a sub is well, a bit deeper but still there's no massive 3rd D. the closest navy thing is actually a navy/airforce hybrid, namely the aircraft carrier, and then STILL it's only the aircraft part that's actually close.

so yes, Space isn't an ocean. the only thing the navy has in common are the big ships. simply because big ships can't fly in the atmosphere.

and it would be FAR less cliché to name it Spaceforce and have it be airforce like, since almost everyone draws the parallel with navy even though it's wrong.

in fact, TV tropes almost congratulates SG for doing it more the Air Force way, even our ships sometimes move like fighters (in ways that are technically impossible, but i attribute them to the Inertialess drives installed), we use fighters, the SG program is Airforce, and again it pretty much is.

again, space is NOT an ocean, despite the fact that it initially seems that way. the only times a navy guy has to care about the 3rd D is when their Anti Air has to work or when a sub approaches.
                          You just don't get it, and that's okay. In the REAL WOLRD they actually call it the "Air Force Space Command" Which IMO sounds much better than "Space Force".

Seriously, Space Force sounds like i should run around in circles in my room with my arms outstretched making flying noises!

Whhrrriii!! Pew Pew!

The fact that they were willing ot rename the first shuttle from it's original name to Enterprise of all things is quite telling as far as naming is oing. Is Enterprise a good name? Sure! but they were going to call it something else. Star Trek fans of all things convinced them to change it.

And the final point, this is ENTERTAINMENT. Do we have the technology to fire asgard plasma beams of doom in real life? Can we transport people hundreds of kilometers? I don't mind having some less than realistic moments in my ENTERTAINMENT, as long as it's ENTERTAINING. If i wanted pure realism i'd read another tech manual.
                          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

except that battle on the ocean is pretty much 2d, space is 3d, naval warfare doesn't work, while air is 3d and works closer to space than navy
                            Not really. Space warfare is more like SUBMARINE warfare. There's no explosions in space, just as there's no explosions underwater. Therefore missiles, for example, would be useless. The people of the future are more likely to use torpedoes, or at least until they find out how to make energy weapons.

Comment

On an unrelated note, my research paper is done and I'm horrified to see that although it's 11 pages long, it has fewer characters than one of my episodes on here...

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                                On an unrelated note, my research paper is done and I'm horrified to see that although it's 11 pages long, it has fewer characters than one of my episodes on here...
                                XD

Maybe you should turn in SbS instead... I think your prof will think it's a good read haha.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                                X