This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay Halstead View Post
    It does say in the Legacy series of books, that there's quite a few rooms that aren't being used. So they're definitely not using up all of the rooms/space in Atlantis, so there'll definitely be empty rooms.

I'm wondering if an archeologist would fall under their own department or be in the same department as science, they'd fall under their own right. I know we never saw any archeologists on Atlantis, with the exception of Daniel who visited a couple of times. But the story I'm working on (still planning to write it), I have an archeologist, possibly two, I don't know if they would need more than one though. The SGC had at least two.
    I THINK it was based on team designation that defined the composition of a SG team. Some were far more militaristic and some were more science/investigation based. I have no problems imagining a SG team that follows up after initial peaceful "first contact" with a culture being comprised of mostly scientific or archeological personal. The ratio would depend on the culture really. If it is basic, more archeologists, advanced, more scientists.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The Atlantis Expedition had two main divisions, the military side headed by Sheppard who answers to the expedition leader and the science side (primarily civilians), they never said who the leader of the scientists was but the show basically put McKay in that role.

Separate from that would support staff like medical, cooks, logistics, technicians, etc. There would also be a handful of personnel who handle diplomatic talks with locals.

The science division and the support personnel would most likely be a mix of civilians and military. If Sam Carter was a part of the expedition (but not its leader) she would likely be sporting 2 hats, a military officer (and a likely team leader) and a scientist looking for big honking space guns as she did on SG-1.

Any archeologists on the expedition (if not visiting like Daniel) would probably be their own sub-department answering to the science head.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Thanks so miuch everyone! I loved the show but I couldn't remember if anyone said 'I'm on X spire and you're on Y' I just remember it's easy to get lost if you're new.
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

This has probably been asked and answered many times before.

What are the measurements for a staff weapon?
          How long is it? How wide at it's widest point?

I'm thinking in terms of concealment. A Zat gun would easily fit in an average sized briefcase.

(Come to think of it, I've seen photos of P90s in specially adapted briefcases)

How about a fishing rod bag? Would that do?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

The Sodan staff weapons were shorter. It goes from the emitter to just after center handle that has the controls. They would fit a bag for fishing rods or maybe golf clubs.

Here is a shot of Teal'c arriving at the SGC at the end of Children of the Gods.

From GateWorld's screencap gallery of Babylon for a Sodan weapon.
            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Can a military offiicer thke over hte suties of a diplomat when it's not a crisis? I know Shppard can take over for Woolsey in a crisis, but if Woolsey went on vacation, I'm pretty sure a substitute would be sent in instead of Shepard talking over a diplomatic role.

Can someone esplain the chain of command?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                Can a military offiicer thke over hte suties of a diplomat when it's not a crisis? I know Shppard can take over for Woolsey in a crisis, but if Woolsey went on vacation, I'm pretty sure a substitute would be sent in instead of Shepard talking over a diplomatic role.

Can someone esplain the chain of command?
                I'm not an expert, but from what I've read (in one of the Atlantis books) and seen. If Woolsey was ever incapacitated and unable to be in command then I think Colonel Sheppard would take temporary command of Atlantis as military commander, and then Major Lorne would temporarily step in for Colonel Sheppard. But someone can correct me on that if I've got that completely wrong.

But without giving too much away, in the series of SGA books I'm reading, Woolsey is temporarily away from Atlantis and on Earth, so John steps in for Woolsey and then Major Lorne steps in for John. But as you said that would be in an emergency type situation.

As for non emergancies. Maybe they would get someone else I don't know. But John has been left in charge of Atlantis a couple times in none emergancies by Elizabeth.
                sigpic
                He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

Sheppard should NEVER have been given command of Atlantis (nor should have Carter either), it is a civilian operation with military support. Weir or Woolsey should have had a standing 2IC to take care of the base in case of incapacitation as it is a civilian base. If POTUS get's incapacitated, JCOS does not take over, the civilian VP does.

HOWEVER.....
                  Given the remote nature of Atlantis and limited personnel it's entirely possible that Sheppard was tasked with "double duties", like pretty much all of the Atlantis team.
                  sigpic

Comment

Science is separate from the military operations too, right? IS Atlantis a 'three-part' mission (military, diplomacy, science), or is there something I forgot?

Comment

I know it's definitely an international base, hence the personel from other countries. I always thought it was a joing Military/Civilian base though rather than one, but maybe I'm wrong.
                      sigpic
                      He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

The wiki doesn't explicitly say, but it says there was the intention to study it before they even discovered it's location and the phrase 'also sent [military]' so it looks like its main purpose is science, which would make it a civilian project.
                        Last edited by WraithRichard; 12 October 2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                          Science is separate from the military operations too, right? IS Atlantis a 'three-part' mission (military, diplomacy, science), or is there something I forgot?
                          Science would fall under civilian catagory, same as diplomacy.
                          I get what you are saying, but under US law/structure (which seems to be the basis of Atlantis) there are only 2 branches that have power, Military and Civilian. Both have multiple branches beneath them but they are the root departments of the expedition.
                          There can be military scientists, doctors and diplomats, or more accurately people trained in the fields who work directly for the military, but that is not how Atlantis was initially set up.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                            The Sodan staff weapons were shorter. It goes from the emitter to just after center handle that has the controls. They would fit a bag for fishing rods or maybe golf clubs.

Here is a shot of Teal'c arriving at the SGC at the end of Children of the Gods.

From GateWorld's screencap gallery of Babylon for a Sodan weapon.
                            Ok, so we're talking about 7 feet long and six inches across the base for a full size staff weapon (Chris Judge being 6 ft 3 ins tall), and five feet long and six inches for a Sodan staff?

Sound about right?

So a large-ish fishing rod bag would do the job.
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Ok, so we're talking about 7 feet long and six inches across the base for a full size staff weapon (Chris Judge being 6 ft 3 ins tall), and five feet long and six inches for a Sodan staff?

Sound about right?

So a large-ish fishing rod bag would do the job.
                              Should do, but then you are missing a large component of the staff weapon.
                              It's a weapon of fear ,not practicality (as carter showed off brilliantly).
                              Zat's are far more functional that staff weapons.
                              sigpic

Comment

It's more that my characters are trying to be as unobtrusive as they can getting from point A (US embassy, London) to point B (Russell Square Gardens in London) by public transport.

One character has the Zat (possibly also a Ribbon device) in a secure briefcase chained to his wrist, the other has the Staff Weapon in the bag slung over their back.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X