This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
    I think iiradned got it: Scarlet Fever is related to Strep, and is a bacterium that is treated with antibiotics...so I suppose that Jack probably gave an initial dose of antibiotic, but knew that Rya'c would need to be treated with additional doses (@10 days worth).
    Yes, I figured it was probably some kind of antibiotic but was confused by what he said, as that implied it was something else. Plus, I've never seen or heard of antibiotic powder that you have to mix with water... but maybe that's something American? Also think it was a bit odd that he just had that handy in his pockets, rather than in a medkit.

Anyway, thanks guys.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Yes, I figured it was probably some kind of antibiotic but was confused by what he said, as that implied it was something else. Plus, I've never seen or heard of antibiotic powder that you have to mix with water... but maybe that's something American? Also think it was a bit odd that he just had that handy in his pockets, rather than in a medkit.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Yes...a capsule would have been the more common form and it would have been in the med kit. Sometimes filmmakers are more concerned how a scene looks rather than reality.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by roque872002 View Post
        Totally lost
        Me too, I hadn't even thought about the grading system. It's interesting to see the comparisons though. The biggest difference being starting age, in England we start the equivalent of Kindergarten at 4 years old, and (now) finish compulsory education at 17. I finished compulsory education at 16 and did a further 2 years optional education.
        Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
        If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

I've got a few questions.

First I wanted to clarify the rough dates of the academic year in the US, would I be right in thinking (from previous posts and my own brief research) that it runs roughly from August/September to May/June with roughly 12 weeks summer break (depending on the region)? Do universities follow the same pattern?

Second, other than 'Northern Minnesota' does anyone have any best guesses for an area where Jack's cabin might be? I am trying to set a part of a fic there but do not know enough about the climate. I have found a site with climatology data but as I have no knowledge of Minnesota I don't know which of the locations to use. If someone could tell me which of these locations I am better off using as an approximation (if any) I would be much obliged. Alexandria, Brainerd, Duluth, Grand Marais, International Falls, Redwood Falls, Thief River Falls, Twin Cities, Winona and Worthington.

Third, I don't know if anyone can help me with this but its worth a shot. If you have to drop out of med school, say second year, for personal or medical reasons, can you enroll for the following year as a second year and carry on or would you have to apply to the first year and start over? I don't know what the rules are with medicine or in the US, but here in the UK you can apply for a deferral and repeat the year in other courses.
          Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post

First I wanted to clarify the rough dates of the academic year in the US, would I be right in thinking (from previous posts and my own brief research) that it runs roughly from August/September to May/June with roughly 12 weeks summer break (depending on the region)? Do universities follow the same pattern?
            I can help with this one. You're correct. Down here (Florida), primary and secondary schools tend to run early-mid August to Early June. State colleges follow pretty much the same course. Private schools can be on a different schedule. For example, I'm at the Academy of Art University (a for-profit art school based in San Francisco) and my semesters run beginning of September to mid-December then beginning of February to mid May (15 weeks). Generally University semesters are about 17 weeks.
            Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I've been going over the contents of (military) medkits and found some helpful links online but I was wondering if anyone knew what Jack gave Rya'c in Bloodlines when the kid was suffering from scarlet fever? The transcript only says the following:

There's some vaccines, antibiotics.
              (to Drey'auc)
              Give me that water.
              [He pours some powder into the drinking vessel and stirs it with the empty packet.]
              O'NEILL
              Give that to him.
              [She does.]
              DREY'AUC
              I thank you.
              O'NEILL
              It won't cure him, you know. It'll take more powerful drugs than I've got with me.

I'm just asking because I was wondering if it was something that's standard in the medkit or if perhaps SG teams have some extras for things they might have to deal with off-world (especially in the more primitive societies)?
              To be honest, I always thought he gave him soup. That's what it looks like. Rya'c was weak, and not just from being sick, but from malnutrition as well, probably. So Jack gave him some soup to make him stronger. They would then take him back to Stargate Command and treat him.
              Of course, it wouldn't have helped, since we learned later that a Jaffa's immune system shuts down when they approach puberty, and then they need a symbiote or tretonin to be well again. It seems Teal'c didn't know that, though? (Yeah, I know, the writers hadn't decided on it yet, but I have to argue in-universe, right )
              sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Okay, did a search on google, and it could be something like this, I suppose:

http://www.medicinenet.com/azithromy...ts/article.htm
                sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Second, other than 'Northern Minnesota' does anyone have any best guesses for an area where Jack's cabin might be? I am trying to set a part of a fic there but do not know enough about the climate. I have found a site with climatology data but as I have no knowledge of Minnesota I don't know which of the locations to use. If someone could tell me which of these locations I am better off using as an approximation (if any) I would be much obliged. Alexandria, Brainerd, Duluth, Grand Marais, International Falls, Redwood Falls, Thief River Falls, Twin Cities, Winona and Worthington.

Third, I don't know if anyone can help me with this but its worth a shot. If you have to drop out of med school, say second year, for personal or medical reasons, can you enroll for the following year as a second year and carry on or would you have to apply to the first year and start over? I don't know what the rules are with medicine or in the US, but here in the UK you can apply for a deferral and repeat the year in other courses.
                  First--see Amara's answer. In Florida, many of the schools start mid-August (my kids go back the day after Chicon, August 19). Other schools start closer to September. When I was a kid (in New Hampshire and Connecticut), we started the Wednesday after Labor Day (1st Monday in September). I don't remember when we started and finished the year I went to school in North Carolina, but the schedule was based on when the tobacco crops were planted, then harvested. In the school districts where my dad works in Connecticut, they go back the week before Labor Day (which makes no sense to me--they start school, then have a three-day week-end right away). One thing to bear in mind with ending dates of school is that in the northern climates, snow days can extend the final day of school by weeks sometimes. There is a law (if I remember right and am not hallucinating from lack of caffeine) that they can't go past a certain date, as they have to have a certain number of days in summer break. Conversely, they do have to attend for a specified number of hours/days per year. Saturday school to make up for snow days is not unheard of, nor is shaving down Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break (aka, Winter Break, for the PC crowd), and Spring Break.

So, the American school system is very confusing, to be sure. Your time off all depends on where you live. Dates of attendance and snow days vary by district (for the most part, this is a city or town, but many smaller towns can belong to one district). Also, in our area, we have "teacher work day", which puts the kids out an hour early every Wednesday ('cause that's convenient to working parents ). This is a time for the teachers to attend staff meetings (and apparently avoid paying them extra, perhaps?).

Second--I would post this question to the gals on the Team Flyboy Thunk Thread. Or go to the Jack O'Neill thunk thread (don't have the link for it--sorry). I would only use the cities as a point of reference ("ten miles outside Duluth). If the girls on those threads or someone here doesn't come up with a better answer, I would just wing it. I do know someone who lives in Mankato who might be able to help with climate questions--I don't want to speak to her schedule.

Third--Can't help you there, lovey. Don't know a thing about med school. Can't stand the sight of blood or injuries, and the idea of cleaning someone's bodily fluids makes me light-headed. Ironic, since I'm a mom with two active and sometimes clumsy boys who enjoy weapons.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Jack's cabin is near Silver Creek in northern Minnesota, according to Uninvited (although there are some issues with the location of Jack's cabin in that episode), and that's probably closest to Duluth since the other Silver Creek isn't in northern Minnesota. The cabin itself is about twenty miles from the nearest town, though (Smoke and Mirrors).
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, yep, the American school system is confusing as hell.

I'll have to have a think about the most appropriate dates for my fic. If all else fails, I'll wing it like you suggested Whytewytch

Comment

Jack's cabin is near Silver Creek in northern Minnesota, according to Uninvited (although there are some issues with the location of Jack's cabin in that episode), and that's probably closest to Duluth since the other Silver Creek isn't in northern Minnesota. The cabin itself is about twenty miles from the nearest town, though (Smoke and Mirrors).
                        Not a bad guess from me for winging it, eh?
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I live in Northern Minnesota and fems is right... Duluth would be the closest large city to Silver Creek. Two Harbors would probably be the next largest and about 20 miles closer than Duluth... only about 4,000 people, but they have all the essentials. Restaurants, hardware stores, grocery stores, etc.

Silver Creek does have a township, but it is one of those very rural, maybe 2,000 people, blink and you miss it, kind of things.
                          sigpic

Comment

Among all the alien tech we've seen in the various Stargate series, is there something that can imprint false memories into someone's brain?
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Among all the alien tech we've seen in the various Stargate series, is there something that can imprint false memories into someone's brain?
                              Have you watched "Collateral Damage" in Season 9 of SG1? They deal with that kind of alien tech in that episode.

Plus "Beneath the Surface", SG1. The team gets their memories "stamped" to make them think they are other people.

Comment

I'll make a note of that, thanks Hedwig.
                                sigpic
                                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X