Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll answer for this situation in the United States: Your address doesn't matter for health insurance purposes here; what matters is whether or not you even HAVE health insurance.

Nevertheless, an ER is not supposed to be allowed to turn someone away, and certainly if a woman showed up in labor, she'd be taken care of in the hospital. Of course, if she has no health insurance, she'll receive a rather hefty bill afterward. Health coverage here isn't a government-provided item. People either get insurance through their employer, purchase it individually (which can be expensive) or go without it (which results in expensive medical bills if you have a problem that has to be treated).

Canada has a government-run single-payer healthcare system, and while I do understand it to a fair extent, I'll leave specific answers and explanations to one of our resident Canadians, assuming one looks in at this thread anytime soon.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Gotta love the notion that you are in debt for being born..................
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Was it ever established how much stronger and faster than a normal human Wraith warriors were?

Twice? Three times?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Was it ever established how much stronger and faster than a normal human Wraith warriors were?

Twice? Three times?
          Not really, more RESILIANT, yes, they can regenerate or ignore wounds to an extent, but how much "stronger" they are physically, yeah, not sure. I would guess somewhere in the magnitude of twice or 3 times as strong as an *average* human, but the average would be based on the actual host. "WraithShepp" is 3 times stronger than "normal Shepp", but not as strong as "3 times stronger Ronon"
          Yes?
          sigpic

Comment

As SF&C has pointed out, the hospital will most likely not turn you away for lack of health insurance. Most likely. Now if she's already dilated and at the pushing stage, with the baby crowning, they're not going to have time to ask her to leave, plus they'll probably have a riot on their hands--not so much from the patients who have been waiting their turn and see themselves getting shoved even further back down the wait list, but from the sympathetic staff members, the actual doctors and nurses. Male doctors will predominate in those days, with nurses typically being female, so the nurses would be your sympathetic ones; it would be a brave nurse who told a doctor "no" and helped the woman anyways.

The administrators will also not allow her to stay for any length of time without insurance, kicking her out the door ASAP. Without a permanent address? Not sure exactly how that would have worked in the 70s, where there were quite a few drifters. Very likely, they would have just kicked them out and handed them a bill, not really expecting payment. In the cities, it would have been much more acceptable to not know her, too; in rural areas, they might have looked upon a stranger with suspicion.

Is there some reason your pregnant woman wouldn't seek out--and prefer--the skills of a midwife? Midwives are much more discreet, much more inexpensive (perhaps still bartering their services), and there would have been plenty of them around in those days. The previous three decades or so, there was a downswing, but the 70s were much more open, and, particularly in rural areas, you would have been able to find a midwife without too much trouble. One of the nurses in the hospital would likely know one, although she'd have to let the girl know on the sly.
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Not really, more RESILIANT, yes, they can regenerate or ignore wounds to an extent, but how much "stronger" they are physically, yeah, not sure. I would guess somewhere in the magnitude of twice or 3 times as strong as an *average* human, but the average would be based on the actual host. "WraithShepp" is 3 times stronger than "normal Shepp", but not as strong as "3 times stronger Ronon"
              Yes?
              Sounds about right for what I've got in mind. Thanks.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                Sounds about right for what I've got in mind. Thanks.
                *opens a door*
                Glad to be of service..................
                sigpic

Comment

Things were different and easier in the 70's. She'd have been treated and probably allowed to remain for 3-4 days or so because that's how they did it back then. Medicine wasn't quite the mercenary profit machine that it is now.

If you're going to have a pregnant woman show up in advanced labor and give birth to an abbie they'd admit her. want to move her to OB but if she was too far along they'd just try to get an OB down there to deliver - if not all doctors can deliver a baby. So could even play that into it the 'i haven't delivered a baby since med school' er doc deliver the baby, then realize that there's something wrong, which could open things up for your new parents to leave out of fear of being caught.

In the 70's, there was no computers, so it was easier to have fake ID's, change your identity and disappear.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Things were different and easier in the 70's. She'd have been treated and probably allowed to remain for 3-4 days or so because that's how they did it back then. Medicine wasn't quite the mercenary profit machine that it is now.

If you're going to have a pregnant woman show up in advanced labor and give birth to an abbie they'd admit her. want to move her to OB but if she was too far along they'd just try to get an OB down there to deliver - if not all doctors can deliver a baby. So could even play that into it the 'i haven't delivered a baby since med school' er doc deliver the baby, then realize that there's something wrong, which could open things up for your new parents to leave out of fear of being caught.

In the 70's, there was no computers, so it was easier to have fake ID's, change your identity and disappear.
                    *Gives Sky a pair of concrete boots*
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks SF_and_Coffee, WhyteWitch, and Skydiver.

I had a rough plot in my head (borne of that plot bunny Whytewitch ) but now I've got some more information I can work it up into a more realistic scenario.
                      Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                      If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
                        Thanks SF_and_Coffee, WhyteWitch, and Skydiver.

I had a rough plot in my head (borne of that plot bunny Whytewitch ) but now I've got some more information I can work it up into a more realistic scenario.
                        You're welcome! I think I see a bit more of what's happening now.

Spoiler:
                        BTW, working on your chapter, but it's been slow-going with too much work to do at my dad's house, including bringing him to doctor appointments and shopping and such. I should have it done soon, though.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                          You're welcome! I think I see a bit more of what's happening now.

Spoiler:
                          BTW, working on your chapter, but it's been slow-going with too much work to do at my dad's house, including bringing him to doctor appointments and shopping and such. I should have it done soon, though.
                          Spoiler:
                          Thanks for trying, you're doing me a favour. I just appreciate the help, so whenever it fits in for you is fine with me.
                          Last edited by neverendingimagination; 18 June 2013, 01:45 PM.
                          Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                          If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Once upon a time, I saw somewhere around here a "Random Stargate Number Generator". Ie. Pxx-xxx, Mxx-xxx. Does such a thing still exist and if so where? Anyone know?
                            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I don't know, but you'll want to be very careful with randomly-generated Gate addresses. Always, always always check them against the ones used in canon to be sure you aren't re-using one inadvertently.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                                Once upon a time, I saw somewhere around here a "Random Stargate Number Generator". Ie. Pxx-xxx, Mxx-xxx. Does such a thing still exist and if so where? Anyone know?
                                Well, a quick Google found this: Planet Designation Generation
                                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Working...
                                X