Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The professional pool matches that are broadcast play a game called 9 Ball.

As the name says they use only 9 balls instead of the usual 15 numbered 1 through 9 and are racked (prepared for play) in a diamond formation with the 9 in the center as opposed to the triangular for all 15 balls.

Players try to sink the balls in number order starting with 1 and ending in 9.
    If a player misses a shot or sinks the white cue ball he gives up his turn. Players must hit the next number in the sequence without hitting any other ball. If a player cannot sink his planned ball he may opt for a safety shot, which is where the player deliberately tries to place the cue ball where it is blocked by another ball that the next player MUST avoid hitting.*

If in sinking a lower number ball a player also sinks the 9-ball the game is won by that player. Players usually play best of 3, 5 or 7 games.

One thing common in the gameplay of all billiard games is that a player must keep one foot on the ground at all times.

* This is the origin of the term "behind the 8-ball". In both 8-ball and 9-ball the object ball (the 8 or 9 which would win the game) cannot be hit unless it is their turn to be sunk or hit by another ball when sinking a ball they mean to sink. Sometimes while playing 8-ball the ball a player needs to sink is somehow blocked by the 8-ball, which a player cannot hit first or he loses his turn.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Yes, but I'm specifically asking about 8-ball, as that is commonly played in (American) bars.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Oh, and one more thing: do you have to call out the suit (striped vs solid) you're playing for after breaking or isn't that necessary? I mean, it's kinda obvious you'll be playing for the ones you've potted any/the most of after breaking, but I guess you could be aiming to pocket one (your favored, but unspoken, suit) and accidentally pocket the other if you hadn't called out the shot/suit first... So, is it a rule to call a suit after breaking but before your second shot?
        You are whatever you sink first. I'm not sure if you have to declare if you don't sink one on the break.
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Nothing is called on the break, as you aren't trying to sink a specific ball; you're just breaking and what goes in will determine whether you're stripes or solids. If you sink an equal number of each on the break, you can choose one or the other. If you sink nothing on the break, you don't get to choose: instead, your opponent does. Oh, and relatively few people play nine ball in the US. The most common game played inn the States is the version we've been discussing that uses all fifteen numbered balls.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks. I figured it was like that but then some site said you had to call your suit after breaking (if you pocketed one or more balls) but prior to your second shot. I really should stop googling because it will only lead to more confusion!
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Nah, "suit" is not called till a ball gets sunk.
              and don't stop googling, that would be silly
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Who would take command in a multi-national multi-service operation?

Just whichever officer happens to be the most senior?
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  Thanks. I figured it was like that but then some site said you had to call your suit after breaking (if you pocketed one or more balls) but prior to your second shot. I really should stop googling because it will only lead to more confusion!
                  Sorry, I was responding on my phone and may not have made myself entirely clear.

Yes, if you sink one or more balls on the break, then you DO have to call before you shoot again. I meant that nothing is called PRIOR to the break, because when you break you're really just breaking up the rack. You might try to send a certain ball to a particular pocket, but most people's break isn't accurate enough to do that, so calling prior to breaking would be silly. (I've seen people do it jokingly anyway, but it doesn't actually count.)

If you don't sink anything on the break, though, then you don't get to call.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Nah, "suit" is not called till a ball gets sunk.
                    and don't stop googling, that would be silly
                    Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    Sorry, I was responding on my phone and may not have made myself entirely clear.

Yes, if you sink one or more balls on the break, then you DO have to call before you shoot again. I meant that nothing is called PRIOR to the break, because when you break you're really just breaking up the rack. You might try to send a certain ball to a particular pocket, but most people's break isn't accurate enough to do that, so calling prior to breaking would be silly. (I've seen people do it jokingly anyway, but it doesn't actually count.)

If you don't sink anything on the break, though, then you don't get to call.
                    Okay, thanks.

*makes note to edit scene later*
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

When you finish writing it, if you want to have it looked over by someone familiar with the game, let me know and I'll be happy to give it a read.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

I think the highest mucky-mucks (i.e., presidents, prime ministers, viziers) decide who's in charge. But it's a good question. You should let us know what you find out.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                          I think the highest mucky-mucks (i.e., presidents, prime ministers, viziers) decide who's in charge. But it's a good question. You should let us know what you find out.

Seaboe
                          Hmm... Well, in that case, I'll just do it the old fashioned was and make something up.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            When you finish writing it, if you want to have it looked over by someone familiar with the game, let me know and I'll be happy to give it a read.
                            Thank you. I appreciate the offer but it's just a small part of a scene (I just wanted to get the rules/details right) and I think it'll be fine after everyone's help.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
                              Usually the one from the nation providing the most troops, financing or whatever metric you choose.

Historically when ever the multi-national op included US personnel the C-in-C for the op is from the US. He may appoint subcommanders from allied countries the American is the one in charge. This was by virtue of the US being the biggest most powerful military involved.
                              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                                Usually the one from the nation providing the most troops, financing or whatever metric you choose.

Historically when ever the multi-national op included US personnel the C-in-C for the op is from the US. He may appoint subcommanders from allied countries the American is the one in charge. This was by virtue of the US being the biggest most powerful military involved.
                                Fair enough.

What I have in mind is small scale op.

Since (as far as we know) the standard SG team comprises of four members, I'm going with a double sized team of eight people - well, seven humans and one dog.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X