X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hm...can't help you there

just got one thing to add to that:

i hope you don't make the men submit to anything (particularly if you have a male CO suddenly having to obey a subordinate, surrender his or her weapons, only allowed to speak when spoken to and all that (i have read a number of fanfictions with something like that - and i allways find it ridiculous...even more as if the opposite happens (as seen on the SG-1 episode where Sam was to be married to some nomad-leader's son) and the women don't submit/have to submit!)

greetings LAX
    ps: i just don't like either gender to have to adhere to some - often primitive - society's behaviour (i probably comes from not liking to submit to anything myself, at least not something like this )
    Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 24 March 2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
      Hi all,

I've hit a slight stumbling block regarding names.
      I have my team going on a rescue mission to a matriarchal society who are descended from the Ancient Greeks. And I am stuck on names for some of the locals.
      look in an online babyname book for greek names, then tweak the spellings.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sara, it's peoples names in the society. I have a few but I need a few more.

Lax, The team has a female CO. And remember the SGC try to follow what ever local rules apply when offworld. There is no submission.

Sky, Thank you for the advice. I'll have to give it a go when I'm at home.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Starfist - just make sure the names you choose are easily pronounceable. You don't want to end up with something that's got four Ms and a silent Q.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'll be making sure that they are pronounceable. Whatever names I end up using.

But do you think the team will get into touble if they refer to the Goddesses:
            Artemis, Athena, Aphrodite as 'The Jock', 'The Nerd' and 'The Air Head'?

Comment

Probably, yes.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I'll be making sure that they are pronounceable. Whatever names I end up using.

But do you think the team will get into touble if they refer to the Goddesses:

Jack would do it....and probably quip 'hey, i watched the show' referring to hercules

sigpic

Comment

So I see I'm not the only Hercules fan on here...

Points to Sky for getting the reference.

I don't know where in the plot the phrase will be used. But I'm sure it will come to me.

Comment

do you think the team will get into touble if they refer to the Goddesses:
                    >.<

...and I would try the route Sky suggested for names.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

If Daniel says something Jack can quip back 'hey, satan was a pasty dude in a cowl and Thor is a little grey naked guy....why can't a greek goddess be...you know....' and he makes that 'I wanna say hot chick but carter will kick my butt' gesture.

then sam replies, 'because this is the real world and not some saturday night trashy scifi movie...sir.'

sigpic

Comment

If someone has a skin allergy to Nickel, and the high Nickel content in their dogtag chain brought them out in a rash, would the regs allow them to wear an alternative non-allergenic chain?
                        sigpic

Comment

Dunno the regs, but I can't see them saying no. Regs are just that you have to wear them, I don't think what they're worn on matters per se (wear a silver or stainless chain and no one will even be able to tell the difference)

sigpic

Comment

Sara, it's peoples names in the society. I have a few but I need a few more.

Lax, The team has a female CO. And remember the SGC try to follow what ever local rules apply when offworld. There is no submission.

Sky, Thank you for the advice. I'll have to give it a go when I'm at home.
                            hm...

I don't remember Jack making Sam play the submissive woman, when they were with those primitives they were trying to sell her/marry her off (of course my memory could be wrong - i left that episode out in my recent SG-1 re-watch)

so, yes there would be submission, if - even with a female CO - that very CO would make the males on her team play submissive (bending over backwards, not voicing their oppinion which is IMHO customary on SG-Teams and having them hand over their weapons and other gear) - NOTE: I do not have anything against females in charge (at least if they treat a man right, like most men would treat females they work with), i just dislike having to submit to everything and having to keep ones head down to avoid punishment or something (hell that is almost like slavery)...what i would want to see with such a culture would rather be the reverse of what we have today, meaning: men fighting for equal rights and freedoms etc. (seeing the "other side of the coin" - meaning a society that is opposite to our own in that women are the chauvinists and the ones trying to keep the other gender down (like we did in the past - ATM it IMHO the pendulum on our world is beginning to swing in the other direction as well...and with politicians proposing women's quotas and stuff that gets a lot of women into positions they are not qualified for, just because someone sitting in a chair is required and the quota says: it can not be a man)

greetings LAX
                            ps: and while they play by local rules, they do not surrender their identity (and ours is, that no gender bows to the other anymore!)

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              If someone has a skin allergy to Nickel, and the high Nickel content in their dogtag chain brought them out in a rash, would the regs allow them to wear an alternative non-allergenic chain?
                              I have a nickel allergy. For me, the nickel has to be right up against my skin (earrings are the biggest problem). If the dog tags had those rubber silencers on them, that would probably keep them away from my skin enough to avoid problems.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

If you could only pick one person to deck Kavanaugh, who would it be?
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X