Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're on the subject of promotions...

I don't quite know how to phrase this, but is there usually some sort of small ceremony attached to a promotion? Or if a subordinate is due a step up, and it's kind of a rush job, can a CO just pass them a box with their new insignia in it?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

There's some information here and here. Check it out.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Also, promotions aren't really the kind of "rush job" where one's CO just makes the decision. There's a promotion board involved, and usually weeks or months of waiting. And then there's the time between when the promotion board decides releases the list of those to be promoted, and when their actual turn to "pin on" comes.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks very much.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Happy to help!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The thing is though, my fictional SG team is multi service. Air Force, Marines, Navy, Army, RAF, Royal Navy, etc.
              The character I'm considering promoting is an Army Ranger.
              sigpic

Comment

It really isn't a whole lot different, as far as the ceremonial stuff. And how promotions occur (promotion board, waiting time, etc.) is essentially the same across the US military, regardless of service branch.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Ok. Thanks again.
                  sigpic

Comment

If a civilian was addressing a military officer, say one who was on their team and was their team leader, and they knew them very well or possibly related to them, would they still address them by their rank and call them sir/ma'am or could they use their christian name.

I have an OC character for my Atlantis fic, she's a civilian, an archeologist and she's assigned to one of the teams and her brother is the team leader, so I was just wondering while on duty how would she address him.
                    sigpic
                    McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                    Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                    ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
                      If a civilian was addressing a military officer, say one who was on their team and was their team leader, and they knew them very well or possibly related to them, would they still address them by their rank and call them sir/ma'am or could they use their christian name.

I have an OC character for my Atlantis fic, she's a civilian, an archeologist and she's assigned to one of the teams and her brother is the team leader, so I was just wondering while on duty how would she address him.
                      She'd probably address him by his rank while on duty.
                      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Oh right OK, I'm going to have her do that anyway for the moment because for the moment she's keeping it between them that he's her brother.
                        sigpic
                        McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                        Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                        ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

also one thing to consider, not everyone is an office. some folks are always enlisted personnel and never become officers.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            Also, promotions aren't really the kind of "rush job" where one's CO just makes the decision. There's a promotion board involved, and usually weeks or months of waiting. And then there's the time between when the promotion board decides releases the list of those to be promoted, and when their actual turn to "pin on" comes.
                            exception (and i quote from one of my TV-favourites):

war were declared (field promotions - and yes, even humble (am i? ^^) old me knows how uncommon they are, but: the SGC is not "common" either, is it? - meaning: if Hammond asked to promote a bright young Lt. or Captain, then it would most likely be granted IMHO)

greetings LAX
                            ps: as for getting ones insignia: there is the issue of "frocking" (hopefully spelling correct) - getting ones insignia and new rank ahead of ones money for the new grade!

Comment

We've kind of established that field promotions don't really exist any more.
                              sigpic

Comment

yes, because there is no "all out/no holds bared" war ATM (like against nazi-germany back in the 1940s) but the SGC still is a special case (a black ops project that is involved in an all out war (at least concerning the weapons used - they used nukes, which the US and all the other countries have not done since the nuking of Japan by the united states) and it is a project that only takes on the best and brightest so i think they could get away with bending regulations (even more so as field promotions were never forbidden...they are just not really done anymore))

greetings LAX

Comment

Working...
                                X