No announcement yet.

Hawaii Con (September 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the big pull of this con was a 10th year anniversary reunion of the Atlantis cast?...seems there's only three of them there now?....
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Apparently. So much for a reunion then.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartcam View Post
        I second that! I keep telling myself that it will be worth it because the room rate is good, and either way it's a vacation in Hawaii!

But I am definitely frustrated with the organizers. I backed the Kickstarter campaign, and a big part of my decision to do so was based on the Stargate lineup. In fact, I chose Hawaiicon over the Chicago con because I could have a relaxing vacation AND attend a rockin' con. Now, I am wholeheartedly regretting that decision. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would definitely give my money to Creation over the Hawaiicon organizers.

I feel like the organizers bit off more than they could chew, and the fans ended up paying the price by being treated to a bait and switch.

Okay, rant over.
        That's what I keep telling myself also, it's HAWAII. And my brother is going with me and he's great to travel with and hang out.

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
        I am hoping that this con does succeed - simply because it would be great to have another alternative, but I agree, it seems like the con organizers bit off more than they could chew, starting with the Hawaii location. If they wanted a con with resort features, there are plenty of places on the mainland. I'm also of the opinion, you start small and build.

It also seems the con organizers aren't communicating much - either on the con page or on FB.
        As far as I've seen they have not announced a single cancellation themselves or communicated any problems. They simply drop the names off their guest list and we only hear directly from a few of the canceled guests themselves. I find this frustrating also.
        John Sheppard - thunkable, whumpable but absolutely NOT shippable - he's mine and I'm keeping him.

sigpic
        sig and avi by mrscopterdoc for Secret Santa 2015
        Recommended Sheppard/Team Sheppard Fics

Comment

I saw one tweet in response to a cancellation from Hawaii Con and wasn't too impressed.

"we've posted individually when guests aren't able to come. Some issues are personal, and we are not able to go into further detail."
          sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry but that's NOT a good way to run a Con....whether it be your first or 100th...

Deeds xx
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
              I saw one tweet in response to a cancellation from Hawaii Con and wasn't too impressed.

"we've posted individually when guests aren't able to come. Some issues are personal, and we are not able to go into further detail."
              That was in reply to my tweet which I posted in response to this thread, so we've come full circle.

Comment

Apparently they've just recently announced Aaron Douglas from Battlestar as a guest......
                sigpic

Comment

They seem to be gravitating towards other Scifi shows, which is fine, but when they began the emphasis was on SGA. I guess that no longer applies.
                  sigpic

Comment

Coming from Western Australia, this trip was already costing a bomb. It is sad to hear of so many cancellations. I thought that using kickstarter was to make sure they could afford to follow through with what they promised. I guess they underestimated. Such a shame.

I am still looking forward to visiting Hawaii though. It has been on my listed for over 30years. 16 days and counting.
                    Where there's a will there's an or.....

Creation Con - Vancouver 2007
                    sigpic
                    Gatecon - Vancouver 2010
                    HUB - Perth Western Australia 2010
                    Oz Comic Con 2012 - Melbourne, 2015 - Sydney
                    Oz Comic Con 2013 & 2014 - Perth
                    Hawaii Con 2014 and 2016

Comment

Wow, with all these cancellations I'm glad I decided on the Chicago con now. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but the cost consideration for convention budget overrode this wish.

I hope it does still succeed with the guests they do have left and there will be some good moments for all of you who are going to make it worthwhile in the end. At least you are all in Hawaii and that will soften the disappointment of the disappearing SGA guests off the guest list.

Comment

I asked around at Chicago con about what was going on. It turns out because the group running the con is new, one of the credit card processors is withholding the money until after the event to ensure people get what they paid for. That's why they're looking for sponsors for specific actors (did anyone else get that email?).

Comment

Originally posted by jo2y View Post
                          I asked around at Chicago con about what was going on. It turns out because the group running the con is new, one of the credit card processors is withholding the money until after the event to ensure people get what they paid for. That's why they're looking for sponsors for specific actors (did anyone else get that email?).
                          No. I'm glad I hadn't bought plane tickets.

Comment

I got that email, but didn't understand why they were asking for money for actors who were no longer attending (off the top of my head I can remember seeing Dan, Chuck, Andee, and Rachel listed)

Also, if funding really is the issue then why are they continuing to announce new guests! I feel like they should put their money and energy into trying to secure the guest lineup that was "sold" to us during the Kickstarter campaign.
                            sigpic
                            ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                              Wow, with all these cancellations I'm glad I decided on the Chicago con now.
                              Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                              I'm glad I hadn't bought plane tickets.
                              I am insanely jealous of those of you that chose Chicago over Hawaii. I am totally regretting my decision to pick Hawaii instead!

I hope it succeeds, too and does eventually work out all the wrinkles. However, based on this year's performance I don't think I could recommend the 2015 con to anyone.
                              sigpic
                              ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

That seems like a double-edged sword right now. I can see why someone would withhold payment until after the con - to make sure the con actually happens (since there have been enough horror stories), but one could also argue that they didn't get what they originally paid for - ie the promised/promoted con line-up.

I am not going, but I hope this con is a success. However, it seems like they've dug themselves quite a hole to start and their communication could be much better.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X