No announcement yet.

Hawaii Con (September 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds amazing. And Hawaii is a bit closer and cheaper for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm looking forward to hearing more details. :-)
    "What Would Sheppard Do?"
    LJ | Twitter

Comment

My first reaction would be YES I would love to attend this con. But as others have stated it is about the cost for me. Coming from Chicago rt flight to Hawii is not cheap and as stated above I normally do Chicon and DragonCon so that is a lot of cost with in a short period for me.

But if the cost is right and there are actors/activities that I would enjoy doing I would seriously think about it.
      One must always be improbable – Oscar Wilde sigpic

Comment

I like the four-day span of Thursday to Sunday...providing that many if not all of the guests would be there for all four days, or at least three. That would certainly make it less rushed and more relaxing.
        sigpic

Comment

BRAND NEW CONFIRMED ATTENDEE: Claudia Christian of "Babylon 5" fame. Not the Claudia I'm guessing most of you might be wanting...but I can state with authority that if you're a fan of Claudia Black...keep watching this thread.
          Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
          Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
          Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
          Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
          Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
          Con-Version Calgary 2010
          C2E2 2013-2015
          TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
          Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
          Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
          FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

Comment

She was at Phoenix Comicon for the B5 20yr Reunion. Likes to engage the fans.

Comment

I'd have to think really long and hard about going if Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett were announced as guests.
              sigpic

Comment

I'll keep an eye on that. But Hawaii would be too expensive for me.
                sigpic

Comment

Is there a website for this Con?

What island is this going on?

Cuz the Scenes on the Beach for Hawaii Five-O Season 4 Premier is Thursday September 26 at Queens Beach in Oahu.

If I can catch two birds with one stone, I would be happy
                  Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
                  sigpic
                  Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

Really????????? I think a field trip is most definitely in order then! LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ladyofshalott View Post
                      Really????????? I think a field trip is most definitely in order then! LOL
                      for Hawaii Five-O or Stargate stuff??
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneillTwo"LL"s View Post
                        Is there a website for this Con?

What island is this going on?

Cuz the Scenes on the Beach for Hawaii Five-O Season 4 Premier is Thursday September 26 at Queens Beach in Oahu.

If I can catch two birds with one stone, I would be happy

Yes, I am quoting my own cuz I found this http://hawaiicon.com/

and it takes place on the big island of Hawaii.. not Oahu!!

Sorry, can't go!!
                        sigpic

Comment

I find this to be a fascinating idea, but as good as it all sounds....Not knowing who is behind this or more info, I'd rather just hit Chicago where I already know what I'd be dealing with and getting for my money. Too many fly-by-night companies have come and gone and taken the fans' money with them as of late, and I'd hate to be one of those unfortunate people. *shrugs*

Comment

Yep...I think that by now, a lot more firm details should be coming out....for many of us it takes over a year to plan a Convention trip...I remember planning my next Vancouver Con before the other one was over or in some case before it had even begun!! ....there's too many sketchy details over this for me to even consider it and like the poster above, you hear of horror stories of conventions going bust and fans losing hard earned/saved money and in this long-running recession I simply cannot afford to waste a single penny...

Deeds xx
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Guys, if you don't trust anything about this con so far, I'm asking you to trust me. I don't have the funds to do a trip like this myself either, and I'm positive about what the vision and experience will be like. I've been asked to attend to moderate the Atlantis reunion...and I'm not getting in for free either. But steps are being taken to limit any risks for all of us.

In terms of concrete details: the venue is being chosen this week and will be announced within the next few days. The con organizer is doing hotel inspections now to verify the venue will suit the needs of everyone. Also, the specific dates of the event will be announced within the next few days also. Without having the date locked down, the organizer can't seriously approach the actors and work deals for them to come. That said, the organizer already knows many of the cast (along with several SG-1 cast members) and odds are very high that every single cast member in the pilot, plus the notable guest stars and possibly later season cast members will be in attendance as this takes shape. That's in addition to stars from SG-1, Futurama, Trek, Firefly, and others (some already listed).

In terms of money risk...the organizer is planning to hold presales through Kickstarter or IndieGogo shortly. Those presales will be at a substantial discount over the normal price. The con will be limited to strictly 1500 people, ensuring that it's an intimate event, and allowing the actors to not feel like they have to be "on". He estimates that 1/3 of those 1500 sales will need to come from off-island. So KS and IG are used not just as sales devices but also to gauge interest. If the off-island seats don't sell out, the con simply won't happen and no money from anyone will be collected, even initially. I can confirm that the prices will (except for perhaps some VIP tickets) be less than what is charged by CE. Also, as a show of faith, the organizer plans on offering 100 rooms at the hotel cost to early registrants...meaning that the amount you pay per night for hotel will be $40-60 less per night than even what budget sites like Hotels.com offer. And we have a guarantee that GateWorld gets those rooms up for grabs first before anyone else...once that deal is finalized.

The website (www.hawaiicon.com) will not go live until September. It is under construction by the same people who built Dragon*Con's site, and will not be cheap to host...so it goes live once the time is right. And for a first-year event...a year ahead is OK.

I'm not trying to sway you guys to go. You all know what your finances are like and whether a trip like this is doable. For some of you, being at Creation for the final con in August may truly be a safer bet (I have the fortune of only living a couple hours from it)...but for those willing to take the leap of faith on this...you're not going to be disappointed. This will be unlike any con you've ever been to (in the best ways possible)...and it may be one of the final times going forward that the cast in its ENTIRETY gets together to hang out with each other...and you.

What I'm trying to say is...be patient. As Sinatra said..."The best is yet to come".
                              Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
                              Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
                              Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
                              Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
                              Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
                              Con-Version Calgary 2010
                              C2E2 2013-2015
                              TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
                              Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
                              Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
                              FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

Comment

When you say "entire cast"..are we talking SGA or SG1? ....and "pilot", is this SGA again or SG1? ...just for clarification...
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Working...
                                X