Carson Beckett Challenges and Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladygris View Post

Okay, here it is, unedited and rough, but. . . . .
    Spoiler:
    Josahlyn felt her wrist twist painfully toward the back of her head and bit her lip to keep from crying out. The stranger in their home stank of sweat and ale, and his black clothing had seen better days. Carson stood in the barred rear door of the house with her mother behind him. Diedre cowered against the door and whimpered, but she'd calmed from the way she'd been shrieking. Carson stared at the intruder, his hands at his side and his jaw clenched. For a man who generally had a sparkle in his eyes, it looked quite deadly.

“Let her go.” Even the tone of his voice had dropped along with his chin.

The intruder laughed. “Or what?” He twisted Josahlyn's wrist again, and something gave. She couldn't keep the cry of pain from escaping.

When it did, Carson's chin dipped slightly so that he stared out of the tops of his eyes. “Let. Her. Go,” he ordered, taking time to enunciate each word.

“No.” The intruder sounded as if he were discussing the weather. “Now, you're gonna get me all your food stores, some warm clothing, and I might take this pretty thing. . . .” He turned toward Josahlyn because she smelled his breath get stronger. “. . .off your hands.”

“You'll do no such thing.”

“And who's gonna stop me? You?” Clearly despising Carson, the intruder turned Josahlyn toward the bedroom. “Come on in here and show me which clothes you want me to take.”

Several things happened next. Josahlyn felt tears spring to her eyes when her injured wrist was turned. The intruder began forcing her toward Diedre's room, who began screaming again. And Carson moved. The intruder's head bounced forward and into Josahlyn's, but he pushed her away from him. She impacted the corner of the door with her face, but, by the time she turned, the intruder had shaken off the blow. Carson stood in the kitchen, staring at the fire poker as if he'd never seen it in his life. That gave the intruder a chance to charge him. The two went down in the kitchen, bounced off of Diedre's chair, and rolled on the floor. Carson exchanged blows as best as he could, but he wasn't a fighter. Before long, the intruder had Carson flat on his back in a strangle-hold.

Ironically, Diedre ended the fight. She shuffled over to the fireplace, picked up the shovel that Josahlyn used to clean ashes from the fireplace, and brought it down flat-side first into the intruder's head. Much like Josahlyn imagined Carson having just done. Carson saw the danger and kicked the intruder, resulting in the hands around his neck loosening enough that he could roll out of the way. But the distraction gave Diedre the chance to hit the guy a second time. He flopped onto the floor, unconscious, and Carson moved quickly to prevent Diedre from hitting him a third time.

Diedre blinked at Carson. “Stranger?”

“Aye,” Carson said with a rueful grin and rough voice. “Stranger.”

He glanced at Josahlyn, who was still frozen in place next to her mother's door. She wanted to move but couldn't. Not yet. Diedre showed signs of becoming agitated again, but she just could not break the pose she'd taken. Carson saw the signs, however, and pushed to his feet. He gently took the shovel from Diedre's hands and guided the woman back to her chair. Diedre still eyed him suspiciously, but she accepted her yarn and began working on the afghan she'd started earlier that day. Then, Carson went and dragged the intruder from the home.

Josahlyn watched all of this almost uncaringly while her mind whirled. A stranger had come into her home, tried to take their winter stores—and her—and she had not a clue how it had happened. If Carson had not been there. . . .

Awesome, now I want more!

sigpic
    Coming January 2017

Comment

Yeah, the problem is I'm having to physically refresh the page every few moments.
      Oh boy. That's frustrating.

Comment

Yeah. Which leads me to believe it's a GW glitch and not operator error.

Comment

Yeah, the problem is I'm having to physically refresh the page every few moments.
          I usually do that anyways. I'm in here a lot so I just refresh the page when my email lets me know someone has posted. Usually we're so chatty that even if just guess, there's something new.

sigpic
          Coming January 2017

Comment

Yeah. Which leads me to believe it's a GW glitch and not operator error.
            I'd agree. Strange that it is just happening to you.

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
            I usually do that anyways. I'm in here a lot so I just refresh the page when my email lets me know someone has posted. Usually we're so chatty that even if just guess, there's something new.
            Lol! Too true.

Comment

Awesome, now I want more!
              Thank you. I'll have more as the day goes on.

I think......
              Spoiler:
              ......Josahlyn is a bit too shocked at the moment to have that awareness moment between her and Carson. I'm thinking of having that happen the next day, when he checks her wrist. But give her a chance to work through the idea that someone had invaded her home. Though I loved Diedre's part in the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post
                I'd agree. Strange that it is just happening to you.

Lol! Too true.
                It's not just happening to her. I'm not receiving any email alerts either.

sigpic
                Coming January 2017

Comment

Okay, got a post on the Ask the Moderators thread. There is an e-mailer glitch in progress. They've contacted Tech Support to get it fixed.

Comment

Thank you. I'll have more as the day goes on.

I think......
                    Spoiler:
                    ......Josahlyn is a bit too shocked at the moment to have that awareness moment between her and Carson. I'm thinking of having that happen the next day, when he checks her wrist. But give her a chance to work through the idea that someone had invaded her home. Though I loved Diedre's part in the whole thing.
                    Yeah
                    Spoiler:
                    Deidre whacking the guy upside the head was great! Is Josahlyn going to experience PTSD or something the like or are you going to have her get over it fairly fast? Did the bandit strangle Carson long enough to leave bruising? Not that he should I was just wondering.

sigpic
                    Coming January 2017

Comment

Okay, got a post on the Ask the Moderators thread. There is an e-mailer glitch in progress. They've contacted Tech Support to get it fixed.
                      Awesome! Thanks.

sigpic
                      Coming January 2017

Comment

Yeah
                        Spoiler:
                        Deidre whacking the guy upside the head was great! Is Josahlyn going to experience PTSD or something the like or are you going to have her get over it fairly fast? Did the bandit strangle Carson long enough to leave bruising? Not that he should I was just wondering.
                        Well, I was thinking......
                        Spoiler:
                        .....that Josahlyn would suffer slightly. Not bad, just a little PTSD that occurs in conjunction with her mother's struggle. Though, with Carson there to help her, she wouldn't suffer as badly as if she had. So I'm still a bit torn by that since she's been fairly sheltered. It wasn't a really bad thing that happened--just the threat of something bad--but her home was invaded. I think she'll be a lot more insistent about the doors being locked and such. I'll see what comes out in writing.

As for Carson, I was thinking slight bruising. Not anything really too severe since he also just reinjured his ankle.

Comment

Well, I was thinking......
                          Spoiler:
                          .....that Josahlyn would suffer slightly. Not bad, just a little PTSD that occurs in conjunction with her mother's struggle. Though, with Carson there to help her, she wouldn't suffer as badly as if she had. So I'm still a bit torn by that since she's been fairly sheltered. It wasn't a really bad thing that happened--just the threat of something bad--but her home was invaded. I think she'll be a lot more insistent about the doors being locked and such. I'll see what comes out in writing.

As for Carson, I was thinking slight bruising. Not anything really too severe since he also just reinjured his ankle.
                          Spoiler:
                          I wasn't thinking anything horrid for Carson, I was just curious.

As for Josahlyn.. I would have it last a day maybe two and I'm basing that on my own brief experience with safety violations..

I used to work at a hotel overnight and one time this guy came in and robbed me/us at gunpoint. For a day or two I felt very unsafe and once I actually freaked out because there was a stranger in my safe zone. But by the second day - I was fine. Okay I'm not sure it's actually the same, lol, so maybe she should struggle for a bit longer. I dunno.

sigpic
                          Coming January 2017

Comment

Spoiler:
                            I wasn't thinking anything horrid for Carson, I was just curious.

As for Josahlyn.. I would have it last a day maybe two and I'm basing that on my own brief experience with safety violations..

I used to work at a hotel overnight and one time this guy came in and robbed me/us at gunpoint. For a day or two I felt very unsafe and once I actually freaked out because there was a stranger in my safe zone. But by the second day - I was fine. Okay I'm not sure it's actually the same, lol, so maybe she should struggle for a bit longer. I dunno.
                            Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Spoiler:
                            She'll be very quiet that first night as the blizzard sets in. Carson will make sure she and Diedre eat. Then, after another day or so, she'll kind of snap out of it. Just long enough for Carson to get really concerned about her wellbeing. He's given her space, but he's keeping a close eye on her. Then, she'll be fine. I'm thinking of a scene where he drops a pot or some such thing, and Josahlyn panics. Granted, her panic isn't Diedre's. She'd jump, spin around, and then be fine. And, all this time, she's trying to make sure he stays off his ankle as much as possible.

Comment

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Spoiler:
                              She'll be very quiet that first night as the blizzard sets in. Carson will make sure she and Diedre eat. Then, after another day or so, she'll kind of snap out of it. Just long enough for Carson to get really concerned about her wellbeing. He's given her space, but he's keeping a close eye on her. Then, she'll be fine. I'm thinking of a scene where he drops a pot or some such thing, and Josahlyn panics. Granted, her panic isn't Diedre's. She'd jump, spin around, and then be fine. And, all this time, she's trying to make sure he stays off his ankle as much as possible.
                              Sounds good.

sigpic
                              Coming January 2017

Comment

I may have inadvertently extended it to another chapter. We'll see.

Spoiler:
                                I really want that moment when they realize their awareness of one another is a lot deeper. I call it the "sparks fly" moment. And I wanted it to happen while Carson was doctoring her wrist. So I'm thinking she'll need a brace of some sort for a week or so. Just enough to support her wrist while she's working in the kitchen, canning and preparing herbs and such for the winter.

Oh! I could do a scene right after the fight from Carson's POV as he's making sure she's okay and such. More his concern for her. Then, I could have a scene where she actually drops something or some such thing and grabs her wrist, telling him she's in a lot more pain than she said she was.

Comment

Working...
                                X