No announcement yet.

Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolute awesome evening, great ending to a fabulous weekend, thanks everyone involved.
    sigpic Martin Rocks!!

Comment

My feet hurt. Wow, you guys! What an evening. I had the best time of my life. Of course, cuddling between Frank Cassini and Dan Payne was pretty awesome. Yes, Slam, that's why I looked like a kid at Christmas.

Now cover your ears.... Wah hooo!!!

Okay, I'm fine, now...really....

The guys were so nice. Aleks, Frank and Peter Flemming bought my meal for me for helping them with their autographs and photo ops. Thanks to everyone who purchased one of the above from them and from Bill Butt and Jay Brazeau. They really enjoyed being at the convention and meeting you all.

I'll be working on a detailed report for WormholeRiders.com It should be out by the end of the week.
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Yes, it was definitely a great memorable weekend. I'm sure everyone is either on there way to the airport or still sleeping, so I reckon we'll see more activity ITT in the next 8-12 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by doublecut View Post
          So....was everyone happy with the GateWorld dinner and who showed up? I'll take as much green as anyone wants to dish out!!
          Really? How often do you want to hear that you are awesome?

But seriously, it was much fun. It's great meeting the actors in such a casual environment and having conversations with them. Huge thanks.

And sorry that I screamed 'a bit' loud, but I was really sooooo happy about my prize.

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
          My feet hurt. Wow, you guys! What an evening. I had the best time of my life. Of course, cuddling between Frank Cassini and Dan Payne was pretty awesome. Yes, Slam, that's why I looked like a kid at Christmas.
          He, he, I saw your face. I can confirm, you were beaming.

Due to changes in the schedule and some delays, Sunday was a much busier day for me than I thought. There was no real break. Had nice chats with the "Sunday people" when I got my autographs from them. Sadly, there was no time left for talking properly with Dan and Alex.

Again, laughed a lot during the panels. All the actors were in a pretty goofy mood. Loved it. I really had the feeling all the actors enjoyed beeing there this time.

But I also have a huge criticism. I'm so fed up with Creation that they almost always pull the "no personalization" card when it comes to Joe and David. This happens way too often and is not a non-rushed autograph session at all. Since people talk with the actors anyway, there would have been time for that. I'm sure the actors can talk and write a name at the same time. *is being sarcastic here*. And it's really not a nice feeling when the person in front of you is still talking to the actor and the handler shoves your autograph pic to the actor while you're still standing in front of the handler.

I still try to get my head around the fact that this was the last SG Con in Van. That I might see so many people never again. I understand that three SG Cons a year might be too many. But Van was something special, even withouth the set tour. And since so many actors still live here, it was so easy to meet some of the "not so usual con actors" here. It's so much fun to talk to them since they have usually more time during a con than the "big names".

It somehow fits that Vancouver shows its "pouring rain" face today, doesn't it?

Anyway, it was great seeing some of the people here again, meeting new ones, connecting faces with the forum names. *waves to everybody* Have a safe trip all of you.
          sigpic

Comment

I sort of agree with the rushed autographs comment. But I am sympathetic to the Creation staff because there are so many people (eg. around 350 people for David Hewlett autograph), that even with 30 seconds of TOTAL interaction time, it would take 3 hours front to back. Obviously that's not going to happen so the total time has to be less than 30 seconds, maybe even less than 20 seconds. With that said, it's hard to NOT feel rushed in 20 seconds.

Comment

To add one more thing, that three hours estimate is assuming no delays between signings or breaks for the actors. It's likely unforeseen delays can push the time frame longer, and no one really wants to wait in a line for 3 hours to get 20 seconds and a scribble.....or maybe they do.

Comment

@Doublecut...

So, since I didn't attend this year, I'm curious - who [I]did[I] attend the GateWorld dinner (celebs, that is - I could read the signup list)? Sounds like folks had a good time, as usual, and it seemed fitting to have the final dinner at Earl's - that's where the first one was too!

Thanks!
                OregonJen

Thanks for the VanCon sig, Nathan!

Comment

Originally posted by OregonJen View Post
                  @Doublecut...

So, since I didn't attend this year, I'm curious - who [I]did[I] attend the GateWorld dinner (celebs, that is - I could read the signup list)? Sounds like folks had a good time, as usual, and it seemed fitting to have the final dinner at Earl's - that's where the first one was too!

Thanks!
                  It was pretty star-studded, especially after the past two years when we only had one celeb in attendance (Colin Cunningham and Bill Butt, respectively).

It was attended last night by Dan Payne, Alex Zahara, Aleks Paunovic, Frank Cassini, Peter Flemming, Andee Frizzell, Julia Benson, Peter Benson, Paul McGillion and Martin Wood. It was literally a mini-con for a few hours, minus the autographs. At least one person connected to all three series along with one of the franchise's most prolific guiding forces.

It was a perfect night that capped off an amazing con and a final Vancouver GateWorld get-together with people that have become part of my extended family.
                  Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
                  Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
                  Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
                  Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
                  Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
                  Con-Version Calgary 2010
                  C2E2 2013-2015
                  TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
                  Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
                  Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
                  FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

Comment

I had an AMAZING time at the convention! (It was the first time I have attended any sci-fi convention). It was quite a thrill to meet the actors. What really made the difference in my enjoyment of the weekend though was attending the GateWorld dinners on Thursday and Sunday and meeting other fans of the franchise. I especially felt welcomed by Jian and picardythirds. And thanks to Doublecut and GateWorld for bringing prizes to the Sunday dinner! That was icing on the cake.

All of the actors in attendance were gracious, but I found that Andee Frizzell (yes she is really that tall), Alex Zahara and Dan Payne made the extra effort to make it a great experience for the fans. They seemed genuinely interested in talking to the fans one on one. Also, during a quiz game hosted by Dan and Alex, I lost a tie against another person and therefore lost out on a prize. Alex saw me in the hall a short time later and gave me a signed photo to make up for it! I thought that was very sweet of him.

I don't think I'll be able to attend another convention in the next few years but I will always treasure the experience of this past weekend.

Comment

Totally want to see any photos anyone took! I was there but not for the whole gig. I could only make it on Saturday...

Comment

Wow, still trying to settle back into the old routine after a wonderful fun weekend! Struggled a bit at work, I was really tired.

Lots of chatting, queuing, eating, sitting, and being thoroughly entertained by all the fantastic guests.

I wouldn't know where to start at the moment with the whole experience, but I'm sure to get brain cell sorted at some point and start sorting out things to say over the next couple of days with some photos.

I can say without hesitation that the GW dinner was fantastic, I had a great time. It was wonderful to see so many guests, Martin Wood was a nice surprise. Julia Benson is such a lovely person, had a nice chat with her husband Peter Benson too, really nice guy. Thanks Doublecut for organising a great get together there!

For those on the location tour today, were you in Cloverdale just after 1pm? I wondered if the bus I saw as I drove past on the way home from work, parked opposite the pizza place was the tour bus. Did you get more than 10 minutes in Bordertown, and you probably got to see a couple of locations that we had to miss due to running late on the Thursday tour?

Comment

Hey quick question for everyone... I had a *slight* issue with one of my photo ops and had to have it reshot. That picture went missing *somewhere* (we never did determine where but none of my friends nor I picked it up) if you hear of someone who picked up a photo of Kavan and I in front of the Atlantis gate (the one in the vendors room) by accident (I'm *assuming* it wasn't on purpose.) could you send them my way? I'm REALLY shattered that I don't have the hard copy right now considering my other photos with him are rather risque.
                          Kassandra

I'm a 60%'er
                          sigpic

Comment

I really wish that even though Alex wasn't on the guest list that they would have given him a solo photo op sessions since both Barclay Hope and Ryan Robbins had to cancel. Both Alex and Dan are always awesome to see on stage or at their table and I'm very happy I was able to get photos with them after having missed out last year due to lack of money. When Alex was signing on Friday night, after signing my photo he told me to pick another one with he would sign for free. He also refused any sort of payment when he signed my group photo with him and Dan.

It was awesome to experience the meet and greets with Paul McGillion and David Hewlett. Paul likes to be a little different during his greets by having a trivia contests, which he would give the top scorers a signed photo not available for sale at the Creation merchandize table. (the same thing he did following his panel with David and Joe) He was amazed when all of us scored 8 or 9 out of ten and said the highest he had scored on the questions was 5, so everybody ended up getting a signed photo.

I didn't see everything that was said at the surprise announcement, as I had photo ops to get to, but a virtual Cheyenne Mountain app for iPhones or what not was rather lame, particularly how many times he was saying "I can only read from this side and can't mention anything on this side" so it was basically a "we haven't forgotten about you, but we'll tell you more later." Which also begs the question why the paper didn't just contain notes one what could be talked about.

In the end, it was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend which I hope I will be able to experience again at some point. Leaving the con on Sunday was bittersweet, for sure, as there is always that hint of sadness that the fun has to end but you're ready to get back to your normal routine, but with this being the farewell to the Stargate con in Vancouver, you don't have that next con to look forward to.

As Captain Kirk once said: "It was fun."

Comment

Originally posted by silvercomet View Post
                              And sorry that I screamed 'a bit' loud, but I was really sooooo happy about my prize.
                              You had every reason to. I think everyone wanted that book. I know I REALLY wanted that book.

Just wanted to pop in and thank y'all for being a lovely crowd. You made my first con experience fun and exciting.

iheartcam and I went around on our own special locations tour today so really my con ended today. I'll be posting stories and pictures this weekend, once everything dies down.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                                You had every reason to. I think everyone wanted that book. I know I REALLY wanted that book.

Just wanted to pop in and thank y'all for being a lovely crowd. You made my first con experience fun and exciting.

iheartcam and I went around on our own special locations tour today so really my con ended today. I'll be posting stories and pictures this weekend, once everything dies down.
                                Hey what's up! I'm the guy that took that photo of you looking up as you were coming through the stargate, and looking sad coming through.

I'll post all the photos as soon as I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X