No announcement yet.

Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an update for all you non-Canadians. This just in....

Canada US Border.jpg
    Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

I crossed that border yesterday by train. ;-)

After being to Seattle last week and not having internet regularly, I now had to read here a lot. I'm know Vancouver Downtown and on Wednesday I move on to Burnaby. I hope that it will be possible to print the ID card there.

Originally posted by silvercomet View Post
      To all the people who are going to the GW Meetup on Thursday: What do you think about meeting at the Hilton lobby and going together to the Red Robin?
      Originally posted by shipcat View Post
      I think it's a great idea, also to avoid any awkwardness when you come to the restaurant alone and new to the group. I hope it will be easier for me if I meet them casually in the lobby and then go for dinner. Breaking the first ice.
      Sounds good. Which time will that be? Between 18:00 and 18:30 pm in the lobby? I try to make it, but because I might be on an excursion during day, I cannot promise.

Comment

The awesome Shipcat is going to let me room with her (thanks to those who offered )

I booked my gold ticket today (got H30) and also booked my flights

I work tonight but fly out tomorrow afternoon (OMG!!!)

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do around the area of where the con is?

Comment

Originally posted by Nirrti View Post
          Sounds good. Which time will that be? Between 18:00 and 18:30 pm in the lobby? I try to make it, but because I might be on an excursion during day, I cannot promise.
          Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
          Sounds like a good idea. Just have a cut off time, where anyone that shows up after that knows to head straight to the restaurant. Hopefully the location tour on Thursday will get back with a little time to spare.
          GW meetup on Thursday: O.k. for everybody who wants to join us: I’d say let’s meet in the Hilton lobby between 6.30 and 6.45 pm (18.30 – 18.45 for the European people). Then we’re going together to the Red Robin at 6.45 pm. It’s only a short walk.

We should be easy to spot in the lobby when we’re a group.

I agree with camelot7414. We won’t wait (except somebody calls that he/she will come down in a minute or so).

I think it's a great idea, also to avoid any awkwardness when you come to the restaurant alone and new to the group. I hope it will be easier for me if I meet them casually in the lobby and then go for dinner. Breaking the first ice.
          Yeah, that was the idea. I know how nervous I am when I have to meet a group of people I don’t know.

I just finished packing and I included all my bad weather gear, electronics, clothes ect. and I still don't have more than 15kg. First I thought 23kg would never be enough. But now I can't even imagine what to bring more?!
          That’s really good. I have usually close to 20kg (hard protective case). Plus the carry-on (backpack). I put all the really necessary things like the travel/con papers, the money, all the electronic devices (which I don’t want to put in my suitcase) and some reading stuff for the journey in that backback.

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
          Yeah I hate packing. I've got most of it done. I try to do it a few days early this way if I think of something I've forgotten, I can still throw it in.
          Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
          I hate packing as well, since I take everything as carry-on and usually wind up making a couple last minute switches outfit-wise (I'm not that picky with what I wear everyday until I have to think about photo ops). I've learned that it's better not to pack last minute because I wind up forgetting to pack something,

Well, I have a general packing list. On that list is literally everything one could need for any holiday. So forgetting something is not an issue for me.

The worst part is the search for clothes (which I’ve just finished, yeah) for the convention since I don’t want to wear the same shirts in every photo op.

Looking for clothes made me aware of two things: I have way too many clothes, but hardly anything exciting.

Originally posted by Jian View Post
          I was thinking about spending part of a day before the con in the Chinatown area. With the possibility of unpredictable weather and the fact that I'm not sure what that area is like would an umbrella or other wet weather gear be advised or are a lot of things close together or covered?
          I usually carry a little umbrella with me. Especially when you wander around only in the city that’s o.k. IMO. I don’t remember anything specific about the Chinatown area. I always wander around a lot when I’m on vacation.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SerenBunny View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do around the area of where the con is?
            Welcome

It depends what you have in mind. There is a huge shopping mall across the street. Or a nice park (10 minutes walk).

I'd say the best thing to do is taking the skytrain (station is just a short walk away from the Hilton) to Downtown Vancouver. Waterfront might be the best stop for that. There you can do and see many things by just wandering around. Stanley Park is especially great - you might want to take a bus in order to get there.
            sigpic

Comment

See you all very soon, if I ever pack, shower, get to airport, work tomorrow, close up house .... etc.... I will not panic.

Safe travels.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starbird View Post
                See you all very soon, if I ever pack, shower, get to airport, work tomorrow, close up house .... etc.... I will not panic.

Safe travels.
                Sounds suspiciously like my last days here. Except for the packing part. I'm done. *gives herself a pat on the back*

Safe travels everybody!
                sigpic

Comment

Folks, if you happen to meet my dad at the con, he may try to tell you that he has no interest in Stargate and he's just tagging along with his "crazy daughter and wife". Please don't believe a word of it. He pays a lot more attention to the episodes than he claims to. Also his favorite character is Rodney; his least favorite is Vala. He seems to ship Sam/Jack.

Incidentally, he is remodeling his house and often rejects certain ceiling fans and light fixtures on the grounds that they "look like Wraith interior design". If you happen to engage him in conversation, perhaps you could subtly try to find out what he means by this? Because we're not entirely sure.

That's all.

Last edited by syncline; 23 April 2012, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by syncline View Post
                    Folks, if you happen to meet my dad at the con, he may try to tell you that he doesn't have much interest in Stargate and just he's tagging along with his "crazy daughter and wife". Please don't believe a word of it. He pays a lot more attention to the episodes than he claims to. His favorite character is Rodney; his least favorite is Vala. He seems to ship Sam/Jack.

Incidentally, he is remodeling his house and often rejects certain ceiling fans and light fixtures on the grounds that they "look like Wraith interior design". If you happen to engage him in conversation, perhaps you could subtly try to find out what he means by this? Because we're not entirely sure.

That's all.

I think I like your dad.

I've started packing. It's going to be a long process to get this down to reasonable proportions. (I hate packing!)

Comment

Glad to hear SerenBunny.

Doing all my packing and errands on Wednesday. And Thursday Burnaby here I come.
                      MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                      MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                      POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                      CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                      GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                      VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                      FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        I think I like your dad.

I've started packing. It's going to be a long process to get this down to reasonable proportions. (I hate packing!)
                        Well I finished packing the suitcase yesterday. Now comes the harder part. Making sure I have all the electronics, batteries and cords needed, and making sure I have enough stuff to keep me occupied on the plane and at the airport. I"ll have the laptop, so maybe I'll do some gimping on the plane. Have to go find some new fic to read as well.
                        sigpic

Comment

To those who'll be catching the connecting flight from Phoenix to Vancouver on Wednesday morning, I'll be wearing a particular piece of clothing that you cannot miss.
                          Last edited by ScifigirlSG; 23 April 2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Phase I of travel week is done. Atlanta to Seattle. Sitting comfy in a B&B right now. Here for a few days - meet a friend for a day, hang out a bit by myself, pick up the sister who's currently visiting a friend in Portland, then on to Vancouver Friday morning.
                            John Sheppard - thunkable, whumpable but absolutely NOT shippable - he's mine and I'm keeping him.

sigpic
                            sig and avi by mrscopterdoc for Secret Santa 2015
                            Recommended Sheppard/Team Sheppard Fics

Comment

Safe travels everyone!! See you in the Epicenter that is all things Stargate!!

Comment

Originally posted by SerenBunny View Post
                                The awesome Shipcat is going to let me room with her (thanks to those who offered )

I booked my gold ticket today (got H30) and also booked my flights

Congrats on getting the details squared and WELCOME!! Good luck packing! I am having a panic over that myself! I have been working a ton lately and I am behind in life in general, let alone for the con prep!!

As they said, there are shops across the road in a large mall. Underneath the hotel is an Asian marketplace called "Crystal Mall" which can be a trip in and of itself worth a browse. If you like food, there is a large array in the mall food court, and at eateries within walking distance. Cactus Club and Earl's are good eclectic more highbrow with not huge price meals, and then there are Asian, "Americana/burger", Pizza/ Italian, Indian (Saffron is quite good), etc. There's a park and a library very near the hotel, straight down McKay toward the Skytrain line.

I agree that The Thing to do is hop on the Skytrain and head downtown. Take it from me- if someone asks to see your ticket, make sure they have ID, not just a uniform. My pass got stolen and the guy ran off with it one year and I only had one twoney left to get back on. In general, though, my Skytrain travels have been safe and fun. Stanley Park, Waterfront, Gastown (*note - "Gastown" is great, but there is an adjacent area that's rather sketchy. If nighttime, I would do this with someone so you don't wander off too far), Chinatown, Davies Street downtown (the gay-friendly area, where the fantastic Hamburger Mary's they filmed the diner scene with Shanks in "Holiday" is), Granville Island, etc.

ALSO, feel free to butt in to any gathering you find and see if you can tag along if the event sounds fun. Some of my best adventures in Van have been grabbing a few folks and saying "let's try *this*!" People will be doing location sightseeing tours on their own, and there are tons of plays and fantastic restaurants to attend. There's the Aquarium in Stanley Park, and Grouse Mountain, and if you want to see Whistler where they had the last winter Olympics, it is not that long a bus ride and/or drive and it is gorgeous!

If you have any questions, feel free to grab me. I am a chunky 6'2" gal with glasses and long brown hair in A6. I won't have a car, but I know some folks who will-
                                Creation Stargate Dallas 2005 - Creation Stargate Vancouver 2006 - Creation Stargate Vancouver 2007
                                Creation Stargate New Jersey 2007 - Creation Stargate Vancouver 2008 - Gatecon 2008
                                Creation Stargate Vancouver 2009 - Dragon*Con 2009 - Creation Stargate Vancouver 2010
                                Dragon*Con 2010 - Creation Tri-Con Burbank 2010 - Creation Stargate Vancouver 2011 - Dragon*Con 2011
                                Creation Stargate Vancouver 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X