Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
    All I'm saying is Creation is out to make money from the sales of what they have in the vendor area. Some actors/actresses have overridden the rules and have allowed very nice artwork to be autographed. For instance, I think Andee Frizzell wouldn't object to signing a very creative picture/poster of her as the wraith queen on the hive ship that wasn't offered for sale in the vendor room. I don't see a problem getting a imaginative poster signed, but who knows. Creation auctions the huge banners that hang on the walls, so I don't think the size of a poster would matter.
    While that may be the case, I have never had a problem with my own pics. I do think the actors appreciate seeing something new and different, especially since Creation has on occasion had a very limited selection (one or two pics) for certain guests. I also know that one of my friends who does custom pieces has been asked by at least three guests to design art for them to sell at other cons like DragonCon.

I have also never had them object to signing DVD covers for either their series or movies.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
      While that may be the case, I have never had a problem with my own pics. I do think the actors appreciate seeing something new and different, especially since Creation has on occasion had a very limited selection (one or two pics) for certain guests. I also know that one of my friends who does custom pieces has been asked by at least three guests to design art for them to sell at other cons like DragonCon.

I have also never had them object to signing DVD covers for either their series or movies.
      Compared to earlier times, Creation has had to relax their policies because I know actors were upset about what could be autographed.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
        Thanks mamasue!

So I'm thinking of putting together a poster with my photoshop to have everyone sign at the con. Then I can frame it and have a single, unique piece of memorabilia that encapsulates the experience.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea? Is something like that permitted?
        I think that's a great idea! I've done that many times, and you'll find the actors are usually interested in your art work and may ask you about it. I've had posters that I made, (not huge ones) signed before, without a problem.

It will most likely have to be cleared through Creation. They usually have a con poster pre-made, but we'll have to see if they have one this year. The last two years there wasn't one. Bring it with you and cross your fingers. The one type of picture they don't allow are manipulated pictures that have actors in compromising positions or are very "suggestive".
        Gary and Adam have pretty much said they stopped doing the official con poster because it was costing them too much money. I don't think I've purchased anything from Creation to be signed since the first con I attended. No offense to them, but I find their picture choices generic and boring. It is nice that they provide the option, for those who don't bring their own, or decide on a last minute autograph they hadn't planned on.

Who knows. With this being the last con in Vancouver, they may decide to have an official poster again. In which case, you could always choose to get that one signed instead, after all.

Compared to earlier times, Creation has had to relax their policies because I know actors were upset about what could be autographed.
        If by earlier times you mean prior to 2006...maybe. I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if every item to be signed had to be pre-approved by Creation. Of course, common sense and good taste (should) go without saying.
        sigpic

Comment

and 2007 for the 10 year anniversary of Stargate.

Comment

8 days

Comment

8 days
              8 days?!!!

Oh my, how time flies!!!! I'm feeling very unprepared at the moment.

Comment

Well I'm going to be a bit blunt so excuse me...but does anyone really think Creation or anyone else cares about that any more?..I mean it's the last Vancouver Stargate Con, there is no more official MGM stuff being produced, or anything new shot/produced, the actors have all moved on to other work and Creation have bigger fish to fry in other fandoms...I'm sure as long as it's "appropriate" then no-one should be stopped from getting what they want signed...

Oh and in 2007 I had my Stargate Shoes with me and got many actors, including the wonderful Don S Davis to sign them...not one single Creation rep or volunteer stopped me for them not being Official and in fact nearly everyone laughed or was amazed at how many siggies I was collecting.....in fact those Shoes have been with me to EVERY Creation Con since 2006 I've attended and not once have I ever had anyone stop me getting signatures on them..

Deeds xx
                Last edited by discodiva; 17 April 2012, 01:38 AM.
                sigpic
                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                  Oh and in 2007 I had my Stargate Shoes with me and got many actors, including the wonderful Don S Davis to sign them...not one single Creation rep or volunteer stopped me for them not being Official and in fact nearly everyone laughed or was amazed at how many siggies I was collecting.....in fact those Shoes have been with me to EVERY Creation Con since 2006 I've attended and not once have I ever had anyone stop me getting signatures on them..

Deeds xx
                  Deeds, you're awesome! I need to meet you and your shoes

Comment

Sadly this is the first year I'm not coming to the Creation Con since I started going in 2006...a combination of things....I'm primarily a VERY big Michael Shanks fan and since he's not invited I have no major draw to make me come....air fares are horrific and all my savings this year are going on a 2-room renovation in my house....many of my close friends have left the fandom and as much as I know and love a lot of people who are going this year I'd rather go to places where more of my old mates will be and .....

My Shoes are nearly all full... ....got RDA on them @ Chevron last year and now really only want J R Bourne to add to them from the original cast....will be getting Ben Browder to sign them @ LFCC this July and I've sorta given up with Claudia Black...

This is after Chevron 7.6 when Da Man finally put his mark on them...and he was so very happy to do so I might add...gave me a big grin and a nod when I asked him to sign...

Deeds xx
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                      No treating myself with staying at the HI this year, the price per night is horrendous! Can't justify that cost compared to a tank or two of gas, so the drive to and from the con every day it is.

At least it means more money for photo ops and all the other bits and pieces that you always seem to end up buying however you try to curb the spending!
                      Pity i didn't know earlier, i could have reserved the apartment for you at a really great rate. I would have got you closer at least. I have a similar drive when i stay in Melbourne. I have to stay down at Torquay which is about 90min drive one way. I hope i don't get lost.

Originally posted by Triskele's Mom View Post
                      I was really amazed to see how high hotel prices were when I started looking this year! Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
                      *Waves* Sorry i won't be seing you this year. Maybe in the future we can all get together again. I hope you have a great time. Don't forget to post pics!
                      Where there's a will there's an or.....

Creation Con - Vancouver 2007
                      sigpic
                      Gatecon - Vancouver 2010
                      HUB - Perth Western Australia 2010
                      Oz Comic Con 2012 - Melbourne, 2015 - Sydney
                      Oz Comic Con 2013 & 2014 - Perth
                      Hawaii Con 2014 and 2016

Comment

I'm trying to decide what to pack. I assume the daytime events are casual (jeans/Ts and the like), but should I dress up for the evening events?

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          I'm trying to decide what to pack. I assume the daytime events are casual (jeans/Ts and the like), but should I dress up for the evening events?
                          I don't think there's a need to dress up. Last year every event was pretty casual. Just make sure that what you're wearing for photo ops is something you like and feel comfortable in, because you are the one looking at the pictures for a loooong time...

Comment

GateWorld Meetup Dinner at Red Robin
                            4640 Kingsway(around the corner from the Hilton)
                            Thursday April 26, 2012
                            Time: 7:00pm
                            Attendees:
                            mamasue9
                            Camelot7414
                            Geoi McKay
                            MylittleEli
                            Doublecut
                            AnnieS
                            Nut_ty
                            hlndncr
                            Krisz
                            silvercomet (hope I'll arrive in time)
                            Scarym1
                            Starbird
                            Dimonah Tralon

Snowflake
                            SabrinaB - very excited
                            Nynaeve69+1
                            CareBear
                            Clairec007
                            Arctic Goddess +2
                            Rivers
                            Maidenhead Reds
                            Picardythirds
                            helen450
                            SeiyaTheLeaper
                            slamaina (aka Slam)
                            lemonpiefirefly +1

Jian
                            shipcat
                            syncline +2
                            Korean_Turtle87
                            Nirrti
                            iheartcam +1
                            Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
                            Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
                            Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
                            Doublecut
                            mamasue9
                            Dr. Carson Beckett
                            Camelot7414
                            Krisz
                            Geoi McKay
                            Snowflake + 3
                            silvercomet
                            Scarym1
                            AnnieS + 1 maybe
                            Nynaeve69 +1
                            MylittleEli
                            SabrinaB
                            Starbird
                            Clairec007
                            Jian
                            picardythirds
                            nakedwesley
                            knightie
                            Vecturist
                            SGAFan + 1
                            Hoschi
                            Lea
                            helen450
                            Nut_ty

hlndncr
                            Dimonah Tralon
                            CareBear
                            RinkRat
                            Arctic Goddess +2
                            taris-eirien
                            dakodia
                            SweetTart
                            Ovolactopesco
                            Rivers
                            Vala-Mal-Doran
                            Maidenhead Reds
                            SeiyaTheLeaper
                            slamaina (aka Slam) +1
                            lemonpiefirefly +1

shipcat

syncline +2
                            Korean_Turtle87
                            Nirrti
                            iheartcam +1

*Last day to submit menu orders is April 18*
                            GateWorld Forum ID: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ateSGUcopy.jpg
                            sigpic
                            ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                              8 days?!!!

Oh my, how time flies!!!! I'm feeling very unprepared at the moment.
                              Yeah, time went by SOO fast! It seems like just yesterday, I was thinking how this trip was months away. Don't worry picardythirds, I'm totally unprepared too! BTW, did you get the PM I sent last week?
                              sigpic
                              ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

For everybody who has Twitter (alas, I do not) be sure to give David Hewlett a big Happy Birthday tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X