Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
    Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
    Doublecut
    mamasue9
    Dr. Carson Beckett
    Camelot7414
    Krisz
    Geoi McKay
    Snowflake + 2(maybe 5)
    silvercomet
    Scarym1
    AnnieS + 1 maybe
    Nynaeve69 +1
    MylittleEli
    SabrinaB
    Starbird
    Clairec007
    Jian
    picardythirds
    nakedwesley
    knightie
    Vecturist
    SGAFan + 1
    Hoschi
    Lea

Comment

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
      Aw, Annie, that's so sweet of you! I may or may not need to grab a pay-as-you-go cell phone. Mine won't work up there. I already asked. Do they carry those at the other stores that were mentioned? I know they do at Wal-Mart and Best Buy. Even our Dollar General has them.

OMG, just reading all these posts gets me all amped up again! Hurry up, April!
      Depending on who your carrier is, you may be able to buy a sim card and put it in your phone for it to work or see if you can make calls over wifi. There's also the question of how much you'll actually need your phone for the time you are in Vancouver.
      sigpic

Comment

I actually found that I did not have any reception on my cell phone inside the hotel. Must be built like a bunker

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
          A THIRD person declined?! Wow. I sure wish i had stumbled into this forum a few months earlier....good luck to everyone else though.
          Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
          WOW a third person declined. I wouldn't do that. MY GOD that is INSANE!!!!

And yes three months is going to be toture to know who is coming to the dinner!!!
          Originally posted by RinkRat View Post
          Another person declined..... I wonder why these people even entered the contest.

I still have hope!!!
          Thanks doublecut!!!!!
          Originally posted by littlesquirrel View Post
          OMG, another decline? My birthday wish still has hope! Pick me, I will *definitely* not decline off to stalk my gateworld forum mailbox and my email inbox. Good luck everyone!
          Perhaps instead of making what sound like negative comments of the people who declined the prize you should wonder why, since they are GW members and presumably fans of stargate. How many of you assumed you were going to win and booked out your work calendar AND saved your accommodation and spending money and booked your airfare up front on the off chance you'll win? GW is a global community and some of us live a LONG distance and a LOT OF DOLLARS away. doublecut's very brief 'they declined' glosses over the true story - perhaps there might be a geninue reason for a person to decline, leaving them very disappointed they couldn't take advantage of the excellent fortune of winning such a cool contest

Good luck to the person who eventually has everything line up right so they can go, and good on Creation for providing this prize. I'm sure the convention will be amazing and I'm really looking forward to seeing the con reports that emerge
          Last edited by ShaViva; 31 January 2012, 11:33 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Ooh, last night I dreamt that I won the tickets and I was trying to decide which of my friends to give them to! Then I woke up and realized I don't have any friends. Haha... Well, not that are into Stargate, anyway.
            Hey!! we are all friends on here no??? lolz, so looks like you have a bunch of SG friends umm, i totally missed the contest, only reason I am not in it...i would love free things, whatever they are!!
            Music and Stargate
            sigpic
            Perfection

Comment

Wow, assuming by PM you mean our Forum inboxes, will definitely keep my eyes on that. Thanks for the head up!

Originally posted by doublecut View Post
              To everyone thinking of Red Robin on Thursday night pre-con....you CANNOT make reservations, so don't try. We will need to coordinate ourselves prior with party size and I
              will call ahead a couple days early to let them know they may need extra servers...but there really isn't much we can do until we're in the door waited to be seated. If someone wants to make a seperate Red Robin list, do it. It'll make things easier as we get closer.

More importantly, a 4th guest just confirmed for the Sunday dinner. At this rate, we may have as many guests as the con itself by the time it happens...lol. And almost all of them aren't part of the con anyway.

Also, the latest ticket winner has less than 24 hours to confirm. Assuming I don't hear from them...ticket winner #5 gets picked this time tomorrow....

Lesson to all: if you enter a contest...check your PM's. Two of the people picked entered and then never logged into the forum again... (sigh).

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
                Hey!! we are all friends on here no??? lolz, so looks like you have a bunch of SG friends umm, i totally missed the contest, only reason I am not in it...i would love free things, whatever they are!!
                Yea for friends! Honestly, nowadays I feel closer to some people on GW than I do my day-to-day friends.

Originally posted by Vecturist
                Depending on who your carrier is, you may be able to buy a sim card and put it in your phone for it to work or see if you can make calls over wifi. There's also the question of how much you'll actually need your phone for the time you are in Vancouver.
                True, true. Plus I have my tablet, so I'll be able to access the internet and make calls on skype. I just thought I may as well grab a $30 phone just in case. I use AT&T's prepay phone. Unlimited everything for $50 a month. Really can't beat it, unless you have to go somewhere besides the US and Mexico.

Originally posted by AnnieS
                Oh and there is also a Staples just down the street from the hotel. Way closer than Best Buy. And along with the Real Canadian Superstore. There is a second grocery store directly across from the hotel, which has a Tim Horten's and McDonald's in there (great for a quick meal or breakfast). An yes forgot about the Dollarama store at Station Square, also across from the hotel.

And not sure but they may cary pay-as-you-go phones at Zellers and Staples.
                Nice, I don't know why I was so worried!

Does anyone know if the hotel's wifi works in the lobby/convention room? As it turns out, I'm probably going to be staying at the Hilton with my mate, so we'll pay for wifi in our room or whatnot. My reservation at the Holiday Inn was canceled because I was a wee bit short on my card, thankfully. Will have definitive answers in a few days!
                sigpic
                "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Coming home, my plane leaves at 7:44am. For those that have traveled from the states, how early should I leave for the airport to come home, and what's the best way to get there considering it's pretty early in the morning.

THanks
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
                    Coming home, my plane leaves at 7:44am. For those that have traveled from the states, how early should I leave for the airport to come home, and what's the best way to get there considering it's pretty early in the morning.

THanks
                    Definitely a minimum of 2hours prior to your flight. And since that makes it about 5:30 you'll have to take a cab since transit doesn't start till sometime after 6am and wouldn't get you there in enough time.
                    sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                    Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                    GateCon Vancouver 2011
                    Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MylittleEli View Post
                      Definitely a minimum of 2hours prior to your flight. And since that makes it about 5:30 you'll have to take a cab since transit doesn't start till sometime after 6am and wouldn't get you there in enough time.
                      Thanks D:

Yeah, that's what I figured but I wanted to double check.
                      sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know if the hotel's wifi works in the lobby/convention room? As it turns out, I'm probably going to be staying at the Hilton with my mate, so we'll pay for wifi in our room or whatnot. My reservation at the Holiday Inn was canceled because I was a wee bit short on my card, thankfully. Will have definitive answers in a few days!
                        Not sure about the lobby, but you can't get wifi in the convention room. There is free wifi in the bar, on the same floor. There is usually a couch by the elevator that is close enough to the bar to pick up some signal.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RinkRat View Post
                          Hey doublecut!
                          On another note,
                          Have you checked out the Calgary Comic Expo page?
                          The entire cast of ST:TNG will be here this year as well as Amanda Tapping and a few others. The bad thing is, it is the same weekend as VanCon. :-(
                          Noooooooooooooooooo! I was hoping that since it would be the last one and it was close to home that amanda would somehow be able to put in an appearance. Now, I guess there's no chance of that.

I admit, I am tempted to go to calgary instead (haven't bought gatecon tickets yet...waiting for a few things to come together). Probably won't, since it does involve more travel. *sigh*

Usually, you can get wifi @ blendz and starbucks in Canada, if you really need it. Both are close by. Some McDonald's have it too,
                          Last edited by picardythirds; 01 February 2012, 12:45 PM. Reason: because I can spell!

Comment

Phoenix Skyharbor Airport recommends arriving at least 2hrs before flight time to check-in, check bags and start the security check process.

Comment

There will be a breakfast again Sunday morning: $79
                              In person tentative celebrity guests include DAVID HEWLETT, CHRIS JUDGE, PAUL MCGILLION, KATE HEWLETT AND JANE LOUGHLIN!

YAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoschi View Post
                                There will be a breakfast again Sunday morning: $79
                                In person tentative celebrity guests include DAVID HEWLETT, CHRIS JUDGE, PAUL MCGILLION, KATE HEWLETT AND JANE LOUGHLIN!

YAY!!!

I e-mailed them a week or more ago about Jane's name being misspelled. Total lack of professionalism in my opinion. Not hatin', don't get me wrong... Just sayin'. I'd be offended if I was a guest and my name was misspelled.
                                sigpic
                                "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Working...
                                X