Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

newbie here. just got into the fandom this year and am looking to go to these things. Just a note about transportation from Airport to Hotel, as I live in the area:

The Canada Line Skytrain will take you to downtown vancouver, from which you will need to catch the Millenium/Expo line skytrain to metro town. The former will take roughly 30 minutes, as will the latter. I can tell you it is very cheap and relatively painless, though if you are leaving directly from the airport, there is a $5 surcharge on top of what will be a 2-zone fare (I believe that is around $3.75?).

Hope that helps. I'm hoping to meet people from this board that I can hang out with at the con since no one I know particularly wants to come with me still debating as to what kind of pass to get as I would love to do dessert/breakfast type things but on the other hand don't really want to pay for all those autos I don't particularly want.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
      Hi all,

newbie here. just got into the fandom this year and am looking to go to these things. Just a note about transportation from Airport to Hotel, as I live in the area:

The Canada Line Skytrain will take you to downtown vancouver, from which you will need to catch the Millenium/Expo line skytrain to metro town. The former will take roughly 30 minutes, as will the latter. I can tell you it is very cheap and relatively painless, though if you are leaving directly from the airport, there is a $5 surcharge on top of what will be a 2-zone fare (I believe that is around $3.75?).

Hope that helps. I'm hoping to meet people from this board that I can hang out with at the con since no one I know particularly wants to come with me still debating as to what kind of pass to get as I would love to do dessert/breakfast type things but on the other hand don't really want to pay for all those autos I don't particularly want.
      Welcome to the thread!

You won't be alone, you will get to know us all in no time! I had the same problem when I went to the con for the first time in 2007. I had no one who would go with me either, but everyone on the con thread made me feel welcome and I felt I already knew people when I finally got there.

If they do the 'breakfast' with the stars again go for that. I did the breakfast with the SGU stars a couple of years ago and it was fun. At least with that you can get a Silver or day pass and buy the breakfast ticket on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        Welcome to the thread!

You won't be alone, you will get to know us all in no time! I had the same problem when I went to the con for the first time in 2007. I had no one who would go with me either, but everyone on the con thread made me feel welcome and I felt I already knew people when I finally got there.
        Good to know! Glad I landed here.

If they do the 'breakfast' with the stars again go for that. I did the breakfast with the SGU stars a couple of years ago and it was fun. At least with that you can get a Silver or day pass and buy the breakfast ticket on top.
        I didn't know you could do that! It doesn't say much on the site at this point and none of the other events that creation has upcoming say that you can buy a breakfast/dessert ticket on top so I wasn't sure. Yeah, I'll probably go with silver/preferred if that's the case. I really liked the reserved seat idea.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
          Good to know! Glad I landed here.

I didn't know you could do that! It doesn't say much on the site at this point and none of the other events that creation has upcoming say that you can buy a breakfast/dessert ticket on top so I wasn't sure. Yeah, I'll probably go with silver/preferred if that's the case. I really liked the reserved seat idea.
          Typically while the desert party on Saturday is Gold only, the breakfast is normally extra for everyone. If you want to go to the desert party you have to go gold.

I have mixed feelings about these events. In LA this year, they had so many guests at them, that they had very little time at each table, especially at the Desert Party. Only about a minute or two. In fact, their handlers had timers and when time was up they moved them on pretty quick. Some didn't even bother sitting down as they knew they wouldn't be there long.
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest that's pretty much always been the way with the Gold Dessert party on the Saturday night....I remember that the first one I went to in 2006 had Michael Shanks, Beau Bridges, Gary Jones and someone else and none of them had more than a couple of minutes at each table...the "handlers" even had stopwatches then, to make sure they kept to time....plus the fact that it started pretty late in the evening made it that the guests were exhausted - especially Michael whose little son Sam was only 6 days or so old and was keeping both Michael and Lexa up at all hours already!...

I personally think that unless you're willing to pay out more money for a smaller, more private guest encounter then it's best to go to these expecting that you might not get more than a quick "hello" from some of the stars and maybe hope for a little more time from those that might not be as closely controlled for time by their handlers...

Deeds xx
            sigpic
            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
              Geoi - Creation will probably not post the schedule until right before the con (like Tues. or Wed). I think some of the schedule will depend on the actors' schedules. At least in Chicago this past year they did some autos in the mornings before the panels on Sunday.
              Ahh. Okay! Glad I'm not missing any important information that is just like common knowledge or something. Cheers, Vecturist!
              sigpic
              "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Originally posted by Picardythirds
                I'm hoping to meet people from this board that I can hang out with at the con since no one I know particularly wants to come with me still debating as to what kind of pass to get as I would love to do dessert/breakfast type things but on the other hand don't really want to pay for all those autos I don't particularly want.
                Hi there, Picardythirds, and welcome! I don't really have anyone to go with either, but I've been networking! That's the main reason I put my pic as my avatar, so ppl could recognize me, maybe. I know you can't do that yet, being a probie, but just stick around! Look forward to meeting you!

Originally posted by Deeds
                I personally think that unless you're willing to pay out more money for a smaller, more private guest encounter then it's best to go to these expecting that you might not get more than a quick "hello" from some of the stars and maybe hope for a little more time from those that might not be as closely controlled for time by their handlers...
                What, Deeds? You can pay more money and get a smaller guest encounter? Is that on the site somewhere? How would one manage that?
                sigpic

Comment

[What, Deeds? You can pay more money and get a smaller guest encounter? Is that on the site somewhere? How would one manage that?
                  About a month before the con, Creation will put up auctions with the smaller guest encounters - basically 10 spots for people to meet with an actor or actors for an hour or so. People bid - sometimes it gets crazy (like for Joe's). I think David H's have started out at $200 in the past?
                  Last edited by Rosehawk; 13 January 2012, 08:42 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Marks
                  sigpic

Comment

In the past Creation have made special Guest Encounters (which usually last an hour or so and are limited to a maximum of 10 fans) available at auction, usually nearer the time so don't panic if nothing's been announced yet....these can go for a lot of money for some guests (i.e. Joe F) but can be smaller amounts for others....

I'd advise you to keep checking Creation's website...there really is no hard and fast rule as to what they will do this time, but as it's being billed as "The Last Trip Through The Gate" I'm sure they will have plenty of special things on offer...

Deeds xx
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
                      What, Deeds? You can pay more money and get a smaller guest encounter? Is that on the site somewhere? How would one manage that?
                      About a month or so, before the convention, Creation will auction off Meet and Greets with various guests. There are only 10 spots per meet and greet, so it's small, and it lasts for an hour. They can get expensive though.

From what I remember David Hewlett's M&G last year in Vancouver was $300; in Chicago, it was $500. Joe Flanagan went for about $1700 in Chicago last year. He was only $400 in Vancouver. All depends on how popular the guest is.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
                        Typically while the desert party on Saturday is Gold only, the breakfast is normally extra for everyone. If you want to go to the desert party you have to go gold.

I have mixed feelings about these events. In LA this year, they had so many guests at them, that they had very little time at each table, especially at the Desert Party. Only about a minute or two. In fact, their handlers had timers and when time was up they moved them on pretty quick. Some didn't even bother sitting down as they knew they wouldn't be there long.

In LA, we had our own timer at the table and tried to stretch our 2 minutes out as much as possible (because we felt we got cheated on time with Colin F, who was first). I think Niall won, except for Kent McCord, who refused to leave until he was done telling us his story. It was pretty funny. Can't believe we've never thought to do that before.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
                          In LA, we had our own timer at the table and tried to stretch our 2 minutes out as much as possible (because we felt we got cheated on time with Colin F, who was first). I think Niall won, except for Kent McCord, who refused to leave until he was done telling us his story. It was pretty funny. Can't believe we've never thought to do that before.
                          Yes, that was funny. I really was not impressed with how the Sunday breakfast was handled, though. If I had known how things were going to go, I would have not bought a ticket.
                          sigpic

Comment

They just added Lou Diamond Phillips and Jewel Staite to the guest list.
                            sigpic

Comment

You guys are so awesome! Thanks again for all the help.

Ooh! Jewel Staite. Hmm. I was just thinking about her yesterday and wishing she would be there. Coolcool. Thank you!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
                                They just added Lou Diamond Phillips and Jewel Staite to the guest list.
                                Finally, an SGU guest!! Great news about Lou Diamond Phillips. Now all he needs is Colonel Young to argue with on stage!

Comment

Working...
                                X