No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't realise other coutries don't do Bank Holidays! Mind you, don't you have time off on 4th July and Founders' Day and such?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
      I didn't realise other coutries don't do Bank Holidays! Mind you, don't you have time off on 4th July and Founders' Day and such?
      If I would live here in the US and really work a whole year in here I would have 8 days off...Memrial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving(2 days), Christmas(2 days) and New Years Day.

In the Netherlands in comparison I would have these days off: New Years day, Easter Monday, Liberation day(may 5th, but not official free day so it is up to your boss if you get off or not), Ascension day with the Friday after that(June 2/3 this year), Pentecost(June 13) and Christmas(2 days). Although I must add that if Queensday(April 30) is on a weekday we get that day off too!

So...those are the holidays from the two countries I know
      US: 8
      Netherlands: 7(or 8/9 depends on year and your boss)

Still...the best thing to do is be a student and you get a whole lot more off in general
      sigpic

Comment

Hm. I wonder how American restaurant staff feel about their diners running around with cameras taking pics of their food?

I guess we'll find out
        I'm pretty sure they don't mind.

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        If I would live here in the US and really work a whole year in here I would have 8 days off...Memrial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving(2 days), Christmas(2 days) and New Years Day.

Re: bold-- MAYBE if you work for a university or school, otherwise, you get one day.
        sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
          Re: bold-- MAYBE if you work for a university or school, otherwise, you get one day.
          Strange...I used the schedule here at work and it said two days for them. (so not a university or school) I also remember that my friends husband(and she too) got both days off with Thanksgiving. I could be wrong for Christmas though.
          sigpic

Comment

Strange...I used the schedule here at work and it said two days for them. (so not a university or school) I also remember that my friends husband(and she too) got both days off with Thanksgiving. I could be wrong for Christmas though.
            It is workplace dependent. Only the actual holiday is a legal holiday. The day after is if the company feels like it, essentially. I know very few people who get two days off for either christmas or thanksgiving.
            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

And to add insult to injury - I GET FULL PAY!!!

You must be getting the three Bank Holidays off at least?
              To be fair, I'm taking those three days off in between the two bank holidays so I'm getting a week and a half off for only 3 days !

That's the weekend, the second one I mean, where we are planning on coming to see you if you're available?!

Comment

In the Netherlands in comparison I would have these days off: New Years day, Easter Monday, Liberation day(may 5th, but not official free day so it is up to your boss if you get off or not), Ascension day with the Friday after that(June 2/3 this year), Pentecost(June 13) and Christmas(2 days). Although I must add that if Queensday(April 30) is on a weekday we get that day off too!

So...those are the holidays from the two countries I know
                US: 8
                Netherlands: 7(or 8/9 depends on year and your boss)

Still...the best thing to do is be a student and you get a whole lot more off in general
                So the UK having 8 official Bank Holidays isn't that unusual then?

It is workplace dependent. Only the actual holiday is a legal holiday. The day after is if the company feels like it, essentially. I know very few people who get two days off for either christmas or thanksgiving.
                You only get one day for Christmas? We get Christmas Day and Boxing Day (26th Dec), and if either of those days fall on the week-end we get an extra day in lieu I never work between Christmas Eve and 2nd January

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                To be fair, I'm taking those three days off in between the two bank holidays so I'm getting a week and a half off for only 3 days !

That's the weekend, the second one I mean, where we are planning on coming to see you if you're available?!
                YES!! Definitely doing that week-end for the WooHooMeet Off the top of my head - Josi will be here for a couple of days, Wendy a couple of days and hopefully Cags and Ben for one day, possibly two

*bouces*

Anderson's is celebrating it's two year anniversary tonight - free buffet!

Comment

You will be posting full reports, pics included, no?
                  Oh no.......we will be secretive and not tell a soul!

Don't want to leave clues for them to find us!

As for holidays there is also President's day in February and the last two places I worked gave you Xmas Eve through the New Year off along with the all the other holidays. Plus vacations. Worst time was between President's Day and Memorial Day.....(Mid Feb through end of May)...absolutely no holidays so I had to always take one of my PERSONAL DAYS! Got a few of them every year and you never have to give reasons, just tell them you want the day off. Then if I took my vacation time in December, I didn't have to work much in that month at all!
                  Last edited by llp; 07 April 2011, 07:35 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

ah so the people in here are lucky and it was thus coincidence that I saw all of these companies having the day off.

Originally posted by Sarai View Post

*is jealous*
                    I think I'm going to move to the UK in the future...
                    sigpic

Comment

ah so the people in here are lucky and it was thus coincidence that I saw all of these companies having the day off.

*is jealous*
                      I think I'm going to move to the UK in the future...
                      Just to be near us? Awwww! *huggles*

Or to get the extra holidays?

Comment

Just to be near us? Awwww! *huggles*

Or to get the extra holidays?
                        Yes, just for the Woohoos. Because I love y'all so much...

plus it is closer to my family than the USA is
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes, just for the Woohoos. Because I love y'all so much...

plus it is closer to my family than the USA is
                          Well there you are - three good reasons to move here

Comment

Well there you are - three good reasons to move here
                            Yeah, sure...we'll see what the future holds for me. Ya never know.
                            sigpic

Comment

You only get one day for Christmas? We get Christmas Day and Boxing Day (26th Dec), and if either of those days fall on the week-end we get an extra day in lieu I never work between Christmas Eve and 2nd January
                              I, personally, have not had christmas or thanksgiving off for 3 years. Christmas doesn't bother me, since I don't really celebrate it, but I'm looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with my crazy family this year.

Pretty much. Though the south lives at a different pace than the north...
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey!!! I'm still at home, doctor said that I have bronchitis
                                And the strange thing is that I keep having stomach cramps! (??) I think that it's a side effect on my antibiotic
                                However, I now have time to draw I have to learn how to draw hair...so I'm drawing Amanda
                                sigpic
                                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X