Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren was funny...he felt dirty at the end. Now I have a question...was that song at the end picked in reference to the smurf aliens?
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      Darren was funny...he felt dirty at the end. Now I have a question...was that song at the end picked in reference to the smurf aliens?
      "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" (also released as "I'm Blue" in some countries) is a eurodance song by Italian eurodance group Eiffel 65 from their debut album Europop (1999).
      "Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties.
      Three fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!."

Comment

listening to the Podcast as I type I am loving it! I love the Podcast. I look forward to it each week!
        sigpic

Comment

Gonna listen to the open line night podcast tomorrow at work. Just wanted to say a few things.

Really like listening to the weekly breakdowns of SGU. It helps me appreciate points I missed and think about things I haven't considered. Thanks for all the work!

Rush's accent: Why would an accent travel?? Nothing else about his physical body does. I get that he has the speech patterns already imprinted in his brain, but idk. I just assumed that since it was Telford's body, it was Telford's voice, and therefore Telford's accent...oh well.

I'm sorry but Camile is annoying me to no end! (Not the actress of course! She's great). Why should Young tell her what's going on with Rush/Telford if he doesn't know who could be involved with the Lucian Alliance? She just seems to be angry at the military, everyone on the ship, and people in general. Which is not going to make people want to respect her if she's acting like a petulant child. She doesn't respect Young yet expects him to respect her and treat her as an equal, which she is not. And everyone wants to get home (well, maybe not Rush) so I don't see that as a valid reason for her attitude. But just my thoughts...

Sorry for not calling in, but I did want to drop a line. Thanks again for fueling my Stargate love!

Comment

Now Available:
            Episode #93 - 'Incursion, Part 1'

(SPOILERS for this episode follow ...)

The first season of Stargate Universe is drawing to an end, with the first half of the season finale on deck for the GateWorld Podcast! This week Darren and David will talk about "Incursion, Part 1," from brainwashing and Colonel Telford's about-face, to the Lucian Alliance attempt to take the ship, to Colonel Young’s decision not to vent the air out of the Gate Room.

We'll also discuss parallels with the season premiere, which character(s) we think may not survive the end of the season, and much more. And we'll hear what listeners thought of the episode! And following up on last week's Open Line Night, this week’s Listener Mail segment is extra large.

Join the discussion! We want to hear what you think of this week's Stargate Universe season finale! Call the podcast hotline by Monday with your views.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...ursion-part-1/
            Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-06-09.mp3
            Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

This Week's Listener Question: What did you think of Friday's season finale of Stargate Universe, "Incursion, Part 2?"

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks to everyone for listening and participating in the show!
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I completely disagree with David re: Jack's "that takes me back" comment. I'm with Darren, I *loved* it!! I thought it was perfect and well-timed. It was just a subtle little remark and then Jack was back to business. I definitely thought it was more appropriate than "Subversion"'s "I know what makes me special..."

Comment

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
                I completely disagree with David re: Jack's "that takes me back" comment. I'm with Darren, I *loved* it!! I thought it was perfect and well-timed. It was just a subtle little remark and then Jack was back to business. I definitely thought it was more appropriate than "Subversion"'s "I know what makes me special..."
                Yeah, I second this. I loved that line and I thought it was entirely appropriate, unlike "I know what..." from "Subversion". On that note I disagree with Darren & David's statement that Jack is somehow different in SGU; the way I see it he's simply written like he was in seasons 1-6, as a tough and demanding military commander and not comic relief he became in the last 4 seasons. Earlier he did make tough calls (killing Sam in Entity, anyone?) and he did leave people behind when he had to (Daniel in The Serpent's Lair, Elliott in Last Stand, Teal'c in Orpheus - just off the top of my head) and I'm thrilled that the writers went back to this portrayal.

As to Sam, I thought that the whole point of having her in the ep was to leave those 2 pilots behind so that it could be confronted with Young's hesitation in similar situation. IMO it worked. I also liked the fact that the events of Incursion pt1 mirrored those from Air pt1 because for me it confirmed canon and continuity.

On a note of Telford's brainwashing and how to get rid of it, I can't believe that suddenly everybody's making such a huge deal out of it when there is a precedent in SG-1 canon. Agent Barret had been brainwashed by Baal in season 10 "Insiders", apparently in the same way as Teal'c in Enemies and Maz'rai in Stronghold, and in the following episode, Uninvited, he was already fully recovered and working on another case. It's never been explained how did he overcome his brainwashing (one of the reasons I despise season 10) but I always thought that Young and Telford referred to his case.

And finally, the accent thing Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Rush can speak with American accent too and he used this ability while in Telford's body? There, problem solved.
                Last edited by Petra; 12 June 2010, 02:02 AM.
                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                  And finally, the accent thing Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Rush can speak with American accent too and he used this ability while in Telford's body? There, problem solved.
                  Awww, come on. Usually I really find your comments insightful, but you can't mean that. Please tell me you don't actually mean that.
                  Robert Carlyle would have to act that out (and I'm pretty sure it's not beyond him ). Otherwise, why use any accent/dialects in any production? "Hey, this movie is set in Bavaria, so let's just ignore the heavy Berlin-accent the actor is doing. I'm sure the actor *can* do Bavarian and assume the character *is* speaking just that." [purely demonstrational example, not related to any movies/shows airing atm... mit den Dialekt/Akzentbeispielen so unter uns Deutschen ] So nope, sorry, not reasonable.

Other than that: I'm so curious what you guys will have to say on the last episode of s1 airing tonight. *hobbles at seat edge* The one of you with the cliffhanger- tiredness is maybe not going to be too thrilled (not that an end- season- cliffhanger comes as a surprise).

Comment

Yeah, I second this. I loved that line and I thought it was entirely appropriate, unlike "I know what..." from "Subversion". On that note I disagree with your statement that Jack is somehow different in SGU; the way I see it he's simply written like he was in seasons 1-6, as a tough and demanding military commander and not comic relief he became in the last 4 seasons. Earlier he did make tough calls (killing Sam in Entity, anyone?) and he did leave people behind when he had to (Daniel in The Serpent's Lair, Elliott in Last Stand, Teal'c in Orpheus - just off the top of my head) and I'm thrilled that the writers went back to this portrayal.
                    Never said he was. I actually completely agree with you - I think they've written very in-character. Jack had some very dark moments and tough calls in SG1; I've posted as much in some of the other threads (Subversion thread, I think... can't remember now, lol). One example I used was "The Other Side" and his decision with Alar. That was dark.

<snip>
                    On a note of Telford's brainwashing and how to get rid of it, I can't believe that suddenly everybody's making such a huge deal out of it when there is a precedent in SG-1 canon. Agent Barret had been brainwashed by Baal in season 10 "Insiders", apparently in the same way as Teal'c in Enemies and Maz'rai in Stronghold, and in the following episode, Uninvited, he was already fully recovered and working on another case. It's never been explained how did he overcome his brainwashing (one of the reasons I despise season 10) but I always thought that Young and Telford referred to his case.

<snip>
                    Didn't Maz'rai die when he attempted the Rite? But yes, I assumed Teal'c in "Enemies" was the precedent alluded to as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelara
                      Awww, come on. Usually I really find your comments insightful, but you can't mean that. Please tell me you don't actually mean that.
                      Relax, I wasn't serious - smiley at the end should have given it away. I tend to agree with Darren & David that the issue got a bit out of hand

Thanks for the compliment btw.

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
                      Never said he was. I actually completely agree with you - I think they've written very in-character. Jack had some very dark moments and tough calls in SG1; I've posted as much in some of the other threads (Subversion thread, I think... can't remember now, lol). One example I used was "The Other Side" and his decision with Alar. That was dark.
                      Yikes, sorry about that, I meant that I disagree with the guys on podcast and agree with you. I'll go edit it right now. That's what happens when I post when I'm tired...

Didn't Maz'rai die when he attempted the Rite? But yes, I assumed Teal'c in "Enemies" was the precedent alluded to as well.
                      Yes, Maz'rai died. Actually the Rite doesn't quite work for me in this case, because in both cases we saw earlier it needed conscious realisation what was going on coupled with some effort to fight it. Telford had neither. So I'm assuming what happened to him is what had happened to Barret in season 10, both in terms of what kind of brainwashing was used and the method of beating it.
                      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

<snip>

Yikes, sorry about that, I meant that I disagree with the guys on podcast and agree with you. I'll go edit it right now. That's what happens when I post when I'm tired...
                        No worries! I know the feeling.... that's what happens when I write papers when I'm tired, lol!

Yes, Maz'rai died. Actually the Rite doesn't quite work for me in this case, because in both cases we saw earlier it needed conscious realisation what was going on coupled with some effort to fight it. Telford had neither. So I'm assuming what happened to him is what had happened to Barret in season 10, both in terms of what kind of brainwashing was used and the method of beating it.
                        *Nods* Yeah, definitely not exactly the Rite. I was always under the impression that the Rite was also somehow related to the physiological connection between symbiote and Jaffa too...

Comment

Now Available:
                          Episode #94 - 'Incursion, Part 2'

(SPOILERS for this episode follow ...)

The final episode of Stargate Universe's freshman season has arrived! We’ve been looking forward to the climactic finale of Season One, and that’s this week’s topic on the GateWorld Podcast. Darren and David will talk about Kiva’s character, Young’s leadership and his stand-off with her, the episode’s bloody final moments, and much more. And we’ll hear what other fans thought of the finale and the bloody cliffhanger, and make some predictions for who will live and who will die when Season Two arrives the fall!

But first, to kick off the show Darren will reveal his Doctor Who picks for David’s viewing pleasure. Which three episodes would you choose to try and get your friend into the show?

Join the discussion! We want your feedback on the entire first season of Stargate Universe for next week’s recap show! Call the podcast hotline by Monday with your views.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...ursion-part-2/
                          Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-06-16.mp3
                          Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

This Week's Listener Question: Did the first season of Stargate Universe live up to your expectations? What was its single greatest strength, and its greatest weakness?

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks to everyone for listening and participating in the show!
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

David, you need to see the Doctor Who episode titled "Blink". The Doctor is actually hardly in it, but it's my favorite of the David Tennant years.

Comment

Completely agree with "Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink" Fan-freaking-tastic!
                              Not so sure about the Rise of the Cybermen tho..... I would have said "Doomsday" (altho it would have far more emotional resonance if you'd seen the rest of series 2), or maybe "New Earth" (which is a little silly, but really shows up DT's talent at mimicry! ).
                              Actually, I'm completely bias, they all rock

Comment

Every time I hear the "Quibbles" theme, I do a little dance in my seat. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X