This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello there,

Just listened to the "Faith" podcast, and as usual I really enjoyed the discussion. However, I was disappointed that there wasn't more discussion of the HUGE ethical question raised in this episode. Here's some of what I wrote in another thread:

REALLY interesting ethical question raised regarding whether precedence is to be placed on individual liberties or the welfare of the collective. Does the freedom of the individual to choose trump the collective's need for survival, or vice versa? Add to that the uncertainty element and you have a very intriguing ethical connundrum. Surely, the collective's chances of survival would be lessened with the loss of a medic, pilot and highly qualified scientists; but at the same time, the collective's survival is not guaranteed by their presence either (nor is their demise guaranteed by their loss). Further still, it is more than just a question of liberty versus survival, because those chosing to stay behind were doing so out of a desire to survive as well. So there's the following additional layer to the problem: the few versus the many. Do you potentially endanger everyone by allowing the separation of the crew (where those on the planet may have a better chance of survival, but not a necessary one, and those on the ship will have a lessened chance of survival), or do you, once again, potentially endanger everyone by keeping everyone aboard (where, now, all have a sort of 'average' chance of survival between the poles in the previous case, but again, won't necessarily survive)
    It's basically a question of the individual's liberties versus the collective's probability of survival.

Of course, you guys have a limited amount of time to work with, so it's understandable that not everything can be discussed!

I'd also like to say that I'm thrilled that SGU is willing to ask these big questions! I think it makes for much more interesting sci-fi, and much more interesting TV in general!

Thanks for all your hard work, guys!! Love the site and love the podcasts!!

Comment

Equalize the podcast! It's fun to listen to, but I hate it that I have to change the volume of my ipod every time someone else speaks. Some people are really loud, others are really quiet. Please fix this.
      I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

i haven't had this problelm.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by GateMark View Post
          Ugghhh..... SG:U moving to Tuesdays ?!?!?!?!?!

Syfy's putting it up against CBS's Solid NCIS & NCIS:LA Line Up.
          I know I'm feeling the same way as well.

I'm not likeing this move to Tuesday!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            i haven't had this problelm.
            I did. It's been this way for some time now, although it's not always as bothersome as with Faith podcast. I had to turn volume up to maximum to hear what Darren was saying and then whenever Justin spoke it was so loud my ears hurt so I would turn volume down and not hear Darren again. It was incredibly annoying.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I noticed that too, Petra. Checking with Editor David to see if there was an "equalizer" step that he might have skipped.

I'm always quiet as a combo of my computer, my personality, and my not wanting to wake up my children.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Too late to leave a voice mail regarding "HUMAN" but I did want to post this observation about the episode.

***** SPOILERS****

I DVR everything, (including SG:U), and Never watch anything LIVE.

However my 13 year old son, BRODIE, watched it LIVE at his friends house.

He said that during the scene where RUSH discovers the "46 Pattern", the digital clock next to the TV, read.....9:46 ! ! ! Exactly 46 minutes into the episode.

Hats off the the SG:U guys for that nice touch ! ! ! And now it seems my son is destined (or cursed) to grow uo into a GEEK like his old man. My wife weeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  I noticed that too, Petra. Checking with Editor David to see if there was an "equalizer" step that he might have skipped.

I'm always quiet as a combo of my computer, my personality, and my not wanting to wake up my children.
                  Darren,

If so, then it has to be the first time that David skipped that step. Normally, the Gateworld Podcast is notable in that everything is normally well equalized. There are some podcasts out there that are wildly non-equalized and also sound as if too much compression was applied in preparing the podcasted sound file.

One should take my comments with a grain of salt because I am neither a sound nor an electrical engineer.

Jim of WVa

Comment

Originally posted by GateMark View Post
                    Too late to leave a voice mail regarding "HUMAN" but I did want to post this observation about the episode.

***** SPOILERS****

I DVR everything, (including SG:U), and Never watch anything LIVE.

However my 13 year old son, BRODIE, watched it LIVE at his friends house.

He said that during the scene where RUSH discovers the "46 Pattern", the digital clock next to the TV, read.....9:46 ! ! ! Exactly 46 minutes into the episode.

Hats off the the SG:U guys for that nice touch ! ! ! And now it seems my son is destined (or cursed) to grow uo into a GEEK like his old man. My wife weeps.
                    Similarly, I recently read an article about why pictures of the iPhone always say 9:42, and the iPad says 9:41. The explanation was that Apple plans their unveilings to be about 40 minutes into the presentation and want the time on the images to match the audience's watches. But the timing cannot be exact so they add a minute or two to the picture.

Comment

oooo, is THAT what it's called - agreed, was hard to listen to podcast with different volumes. Still, not the end of the world Looking forward to this weeks podcast!

Comment

Now Available:
                        Episode #87 - "Human"

This week on the show David and Darren are, of course, talking about last Friday’s new episode of Stargate Universe! "Human" gave us a compelling look at Dr. Nicholas Rush's past and his inner psyche. It also showed us just how far he's willing to go to crack Destiny's code. We'll talk about Rush's response to reliving his wife's illness, the Lucian Alliance, and a return from Dr. Daniel Jackson (guest star Michael Shanks). We'll also talk about the civilization discovered by the team in the B-story, and speculate a little on how the big cliffhanger might be resolved. And we'll find out what podcast listeners thought of the episode!

But first: GateWorld's own Chad Colvin pays us a visit to debrief on the Vancouver Stargate Convention, hosted by Creation Entertainment. While Darren and David had to stay home this year, Chad was hoppin' busy covering all the stage panels, hosting GateWorld's annual dinner (thanks to Propworx for donating the one-of-a-kind give-aways, plus Sci-Fried Band for more goodies), and interviewing nearly a dozen cast members from SG-1, SGA, and SGU. Tune in to hear about Chad's week, and watch the site for those interviews plus more from the Vancouver event.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...podcast-human/
                        Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-04-28.mp3
                        Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

This Week's Listener Question: What did you think of this week's new episode of Stargate Universe, "Lost?"

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks again to everyone for listening and contributing to the show!

Comment

downloading now
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Same here
                            sigpic

Comment

Now Available:
                              Episode #88 - "Lost"

This week on the show we're talking about "Lost," last week's brand new episode of Stargate Universe! This one had a really cool premise with lots of great character bits, visual effects, technical explanations about how the Stargate networks work, and plenty of suspenseful hopping through the gates. We'll talk about the escape from the caves, Ronald Greer's backstory, hyperspace vs. F.T.L. travel, Lt. Scott's leadership, and a very surprising ending. And we'll hear from GateWorld listeners about what you think of this episode!

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...-podcast-lost/
                              Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-05-05.mp3

This Week's Listener Question: What did you think of this week's new episode of Stargate Universe, "Sabotage?"

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Thanks again to everyone for listening and contributing to the show!

Comment

Now Available:
                                Episode #89 - "Sabotage"

Season One of Stargate Universe rolls on with “Sabotage,” episode 16 of the show! We’re talking all about it this week on the podcast, including Amanda Perry, Destiny’s F.T.L. systems, the alien hostiles, and the return of the lost crewmembers. We’ll also discuss the online controversy surrounding the original character breakdown for Dr. Perry. And we’ll hear what other Stargate fans think of the episode!

Join our discussion! Just watch this Friday’s new episode of SGU and call the voicemail hotline by Monday to share your thoughts.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...cast-sabotage/
                                Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-05-12.mp3

This Week's Listener Question: What did you think of this week's new episode of Stargate Universe, "Pain?"

Thanks to everyone for listening!

Comment

Working...
                                X