Shore Leave 31 July 10-12,2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSBurned08 View Post
    Ok, got a question... What does "SASE" mean on the registration form?? It is below the credit card info...
    self-addressed stamped envelope

Abbreviations can be frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by MSBurned08 View Post
      Ok, got a question... What does "SASE" mean on the registration form?? It is below the credit card info...
      Self Addressed Stamped Envelope

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
        Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
        Ha! Great minds post together!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
          Ha! Great minds post together!!!
          Yep!

What other hotels are nearby the con hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
            Yep!

What other hotels are nearby the con hotel?
            The Marriott Courtyard is about a quarter-mile away. We stayed there in 2006, and it was super. In fact, I like it better than the Hunt Valley. However, we all moved to the con hotel just for convenience.

A lot of people stay at a nearby Embassy Suites, but I'm not sure where it is.

Those are the only ones I know of, but I'm sure there are others. It's a very nice suburb. Poz lives in Baltimore. She might be able to make additional recommendations.

Comment

We got our VIP passes by sheer luck in 2008. Since RDA was the headliner, the demand was huge. A friend of mine bought tickets for six of us who went to the event together. Yes, we were the one group of six.

She was just lucky enough to ping in. The 350 VIP passes were gone less than five minutes after sales opened. Since this was my first Gatecon, I don't know what demand is usually like.
              It wasn't luck, it was pure skill.

sigpic
              s u g a r s h a k e r

Comment

Originally posted by sugarshaker View Post

Well, I totally want in next year!! -Goes off to plan stimulus/tax return funds- Gatecon, HERE I COME!! Now, do they give badges to those who are not VIP?? (I know, I'm lame!)

Oh yes, just in case I score another job in time, I went ahead and reserved my room and the Courtyard... Just gotta be sure by July 1st!
                Last edited by MSBurned08; 19 February 2009, 03:05 AM.

Comment

The Marriott Courtyard is about a quarter-mile away. We stayed there in 2006, and it was super. In fact, I like it better than the Hunt Valley. However, we all moved to the con hotel just for convenience.

A lot of people stay at a nearby Embassy Suites, but I'm not sure where it is.

Those are the only ones I know of, but I'm sure there are others. It's a very nice suburb. Poz lives in Baltimore. She might be able to make additional recommendations.
                  Thats the Marriott I stayed in last year and it was very nice. This year I managed to get a room at the con hotel. While the other Marriott is nicer, there is a nice convience to stumbling to your room instead of having to drive somewhere. I tend to stay at Marriotts because I have the rewards program and it gets me more points. That said I have heard only postitive things about the Embassy Suites which I think you have to pass to get to the Marriott Courtyard.

Comment

Originally posted by aboleyn24 View Post
                    Thats the Marriott I stayed in last year and it was very nice. This year I managed to get a room at the con hotel. While the other Marriott is nicer, there is a nice convince to stumbling to your room instead of having to drive somewhere. I tend to stay at Marriotts because I have the rewards program and it gets me more points. That said I have heard only positive things about the Embassy Suites which I think you have to pass to get to the Marriott Courtyard.
                    I agree the Hunt Valley Inn is nicer. The Courtyard is a great hotel too. But I prefer the convince of staying at the Hunt Valley Inn. My mom [who comes to the con with me] has double knee replacements and has a hard time walking. So staying in the con hotel is essential. I also enjoy not having to drag my stuff to and from the car and and the hotel every day. Also the hotel room is my birthday present from my mom. Sunday of the con is my 32nd b-day. So I get to spend my birthday weekend at Shore Leave for the second year in a row.

Comment

Throwing in my 2 cents...er...ok make it 5 cents. I have been to a Creations con, and although I had a great time, the price hurt adding in air fare, food, room etc on top of the gold package.

This is be a first fan run con for me and I am really looking forward to it. The ONLY downside I can see between the two, IF it truly is a downside, not getting time at a dessert or breakfast function with each actor at your table and reseved seating.........BUT small thing to give up for the nice prices of everything else.

But I'll let ya know for sure upside or downside once I'm there!
                      Purple's Biggest Fan
                      A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

i'll add my $0.02 here as i have been to both creation and shore leave cons multiple times.. in fact, shore leave 2006 was my first con because i wanted to see what a con was all about before investing in a ticket for my first creation con... after seeing the craziness that was shore leave i was a little let down by creation nj, sorry creation nyc that year.. lol..

shore leave is definitely larger than creation nj attendance wise.. i'm not sure how it compares to chicago or vancouver (i'll find out in 41 days!)

for 2006, my first year, i waited until last minute and was ticket #1007 but the only thing that number relates to is the wait for the included autographs.. there are usually two or three bigger names that are included in your membership and everyone else is extra.. unlike creation, those autographs that aren't included are usually available to get all weekend long.. they set up tables in the hallway outside the ballroom and the actors come and go throughout the weekend.. there can be lines but never very long waits.. for anyone who went to gatecon this year it was the same idea sorta-ish where you went to the actors tables that you wanted when you wanted, but its like that most of the weekend, not just a few hours..

ticket numbers have nothing to do with seating.. it is a first come, first serve there.. the first year, i managed to sit something like 4 or 5 rows back from the stage for each actor i wanted to see.. last year, i wasn't as lucky and was more towards the middle of the ballroom... it was still close enough to see and get pics tho.. you just need to make sure you are keeping an eye out for seats to move up into between q&a's.. because it is multiple shows, the people who are there for star trek actors may not stick around for stargate ones, etc.. they get up and leave and you move forward..

there is also a larger costume presence all weekend long.. my first time, i went to registration, turned around and walked right into a klingon.. i'm talking totally done up, make up, costume, everything.. slightly startled by it (but trying to act cool) i continued down the hallway and around the corner only to see a bush blocking part of the hallway.. then it got up and walked across the hall and sat down again.. talk about startling! turned out is was really a guy in a full ghillie suit, but after the whole klingon thing.. and this was just friday afternoon!

and the shore leave schedule is a bit fuller.. with multiple interests going on there is always something to do.. q&a's, fan panel discussions, gaming room, video screening room, genre authors.. the list goes on and on.. with creation you may have to miss part of a panel for photo ops.. i believe (correct me if i am wrong) there are no panels during photo ops at shore leave, but there is so many other things you may want to miss a panel for..

i have been staying at the courtyard for the past few years.. this year i have made the move to the marriott just for ease of parking.. but any of those hotels mentioned are close enough..

to date, i have yet to be disappointed by either shore leave or creation (of course, i didn't stay at the con hotel for nj's last con) but i seem to enjoy shore leave more for it's mix.. it certainly makes the dealer's rooms more interesting!!

Originally posted by Blue007 View Post
                        Throwing in my 2 cents...er...ok make it 5 cents. I have been to a Creations con, and although I had a great time, the price hurt adding in air fare, food, room etc on top of the gold package.

This is be a first fan run con for me and I am really looking forward to it. The ONLY downside I can see between the two, IF it truly is a downside, not getting time at a dessert or breakfast function with each actor at your table and reseved seating.........BUT small thing to give up for the nice prices of everything else.

But I'll let ya know for sure upside or downside once I'm there!
                        i've done the breakfasts and desserts with creation and actually spent more time in the bar and at the signing tables at shore leave talking to the actors then i ever did at the organized events for creation..

they really do tend to have different vibes and attitudes as you walk around, but if you can get to shore leave, definitely go!

Comment

LOL! My apologies, oh great one. It was your keyboarding skills that saved the day.

Originally posted by aboleyn24 View Post
                          Thats the Marriott I stayed in last year and it was very nice. This year I managed to get a room at the con hotel. While the other Marriott is nicer, there is a nice convience to stumbling to your room instead of having to drive somewhere. I tend to stay at Marriotts because I have the rewards program and it gets me more points. That said I have heard only postitive things about the Embassy Suites which I think you have to pass to get to the Marriott Courtyard.
                          Our group moved to the con hotel for convenience too. And Marriott is my favorite chain too. I stay in their hotels whenever I can.
                          Originally posted by bikerchic1977 View Post
                          there is also a larger costume presence all weekend long.. my first time, i went to registration, turned around and walked right into a klingon.. i'm talking totally done up, make up, costume, everything.. slightly startled by it (but trying to act cool) i continued down the hallway and around the corner only to see a bush blocking part of the hallway.. then it got up and walked across the hall and sat down again.. talk about startling! turned out is was really a guy in a full ghillie suit, but after the whole klingon thing.. and this was just friday afternoon!
                          LOL! That's true, and Gate fans are much less likely to don costumes than Trek fans too. I remember my first year. Hubby and I had just arrived on Thursday night and had walked into the Courtyard to register. I had just located tsaxlady and the rest of my little group (who were all in the lobby) when in walked this HUGE guy in full Klingon garb. I turned to Hubby and said in jest, "Well, I've seen my Klingon. I guess we can go home now."

The rest of our little group and I were getting acquainted (We only knew each other online until that con) and yakking, when I felt a finger tapping on my shoulder. It was Hubby. He wanted me to turn and look outside. The HUGE KLINGON had folded himself in to a teeny, tiny sub-compact car and was about to drive off (probably for the Hunt Valley Marriott).

It was a surreal moment.
                          Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 19 February 2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Yes I remember that time clearly. Sugar, Trupi and I were all in touch with our cellphones. I to Trupi and Trupi to Sugar. The count down began and once it was time, we all typed as fast as we could. Trupi and I complaining loudly when our screens were indeed frozen by the multitudes trying for the VIP's. I heard Trupi exclaiming 'What? You got in? to Sugar. Oh what an exciting moment..which briefly passed for a bit but than all was well in the end.
                            Skill? heheheheheheheeee. Yasureyabetcha!

My fav at Shore Leave are the Storm Troopers and R2D2 wondering around.

I remember dancing with this one Klingon at the Ten Forward (dance) Saturday at SL 29. Now that was an experience.

Comment

New Guest Announcement:

I finally have the last of the actor guests onboard. Our flier and website still need to be updated, but we have permission to announce everyone now.

We already had:
                              Jason Momoa (SGA)
                              Rachel Luttrell (SGA)
                              Robert Picardo (ST:Voyager/SG1/SGA)
                              Ethan Phillips (ST:Voyager)
                              Christopher Heyerdahl (Sanctuary/SG1/SGA)
                              Michael Welch (Twilight/Joan of Arcadia/SG1/ST:Insurrection)

Announced last week:
                              Kevin Sorbo (Andromeda/Hercules)

New Guests:
                              Adrienne Wilkinson (Livia and Eve from Xena: Warrior Princess,
                              Jedi Maris Brood from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
                              appearances in Angel and Charmed
                              Voiced more than 40 video game and animated characters)

Jasika Nicole (Astrid Farnsworth on Fringe)

The last three guests will all have Photo Ops available for $35 each. Even if you have the old flier you can do a "Write In" while we work up the new flier.

I am not planning on adding any more actors to the line-up unless we have somebody that has to drop out and be replaced (as can happen to any convention).
                              I have previewed most of our guests and I know that we're in for a treat. The only two that I have not already met are Christopher Heyerdahl and Jasika Nicole. However, Amanda Tapping herself gave me a thumbs up on Christopher and she's a great judge of character.
                              Jasika's rep is a close friend of mine and she has given me her word that we're going to love Jasika too.

My goal each year is to try to find the "fan friendliest" of the "fan friendlies". I think we definitely have that. Enjoy!

We will still be adding Writer Guests and Science Guests as time goes on.

See you all there!

Kett

Comment

sounds like a great line up! is it july yet!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X