The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
    Quick stupid question, when downloading textures which gimp file to you unzip them to?

I know brushes > brushes, so textures > ?

I just download them to a folder I made called 'textures', unzip them to the same folder, and then open them in Gimp the same as I would a picture.

I have a horrible feeling I may be misleading people here All I can say is that this is the way it works for me

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
      I'm confused Fractals are used the same as textures or background pics aren't they? *shrugs* thats how I use them.

You can use the whole thing or cut bits of it out and put it where you like.

For this sig

I used this (sp size)

If I understand it correctly, a 'fractal' is just another type of background or texture that has been computer generated.
      The way I understand it, that picture isn't a fractal. A fractal is where colours are randomly swirled from one point in the picture and merged together. Such as this...

Spoiler:

or this

Spoiler:

But as for using them, I agree with you Jumble. I thought it was as simple as cutting out the bit of the pic you want to use, doing a bit of blending etc...

But then, I'm not as advanced as some of you guys, maybe I'm being blind

Comment

fractals are indeed used as textures, but I didn't manage to make them look good in my artworks yet But I didn't think of using only a small piece of them. I only tried using them as a whole picture.

Edit: oh and GimPerS I need your help. I am working on a signature request with RDA and amanda and i am looking for special pics of RDA. I'd like to have one from the Continuum premiere, where he smiles and just looks cute. I already have some from that premiere but they don't really fit my concept
        Last edited by Fainne; 19 August 2008, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I just download them to a folder I made called 'textures', unzip them to the same folder, and then open them in Gimp the same as I would a picture.

I have a horrible feeling I may be misleading people here All I can say is that this is the way it works for me
          Uh.... That's what I do too!

The way I understand it, that picture isn't a fractal. A fractal is where colours are randomly swirled from one point in the picture and merged together. Such as this...

Spoiler:
          http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/sarailovesjack/33278-500-375.jpg

or this

Spoiler:
          http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/sarailovesjack/fire-storm-small.png

But as for using them, I agree with you Jumble. I thought it was as simple as cutting out the bit of the pic you want to use, doing a bit of blending etc...

Uh... that's what I thought too.

Fainne I love your Eureka Sig! (And I think you explained the show quite well )

Thanks guys! {{{HUGGLES ART THREAD}}} I went back and found I few that I *knew* where they were.

Off to Gimp.... (Because basic computer wallis.... well they aren't mine. )
          Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic
          You want to read Torn written by Slidell Yes... yes you do.

Comment

Originally posted by madaline_7 View Post

Fainne I love your Eureka Sig! (And I think you explained the show quite well )
            thanks I love the show, not only because there already starred 3 SG actors Michael Shanks, David Nykl and the one who played Perna in Poisening the Well :roll eyes:

I finished my request sig. finally was enlightened when I remembered that GW also has a real big gallery but better late than never.
            so here are the sigs, I can't chose which one is better. what do you think?

Comment

Spoiler:
              http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/sarailovesjack/33278-500-375.jpg

or this

Spoiler:
              http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/sarailovesjack/fire-storm-small.png

I know it isn't, I was using it as an example but didn't explain myself very well

Basically I think the only things you have to 'load' into actual Gimp folders are brushes. Fonts go into the Windows>Font folder, and everything else you just put in your own folders and just File>open them in Gimp. After that you can do what the heck you like with them Experiment is the most important thing Oma taught me when I first started, and it still holds good now
              Last edited by Jumble; 19 August 2008, 06:38 AM. Reason: Too many 'actually's

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
                thanks I love the show, not only because there already starred 3 SG actors Michael Shanks, David Nykl and the one who played Perna in Poisening the Well :roll eyes:

I finished my request sig. finally was enlightened when I remembered that GW also has a real big gallery but better late than never.
                so here are the sigs, I can't chose which one is better. what do you think?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/reallove.jpg
                http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...llovedream.jpg
                *applauds*

they are fantastic !

I love both of them, but if I had to choose it would probably be the first. Great text!!

Right, here it is. My first attempt at grunge a la luvnjack.

Any ideas for changes? I like it, but I wouldn't say I was truly happy with it. Not yet.

Comment

Fainne the top one, definitely, it has more RDA

They're both lovely, hope the recipient uses them both

Comment

I know it isn't, I was using it as an example but didn't explain myself very well

Basically I think the only things you have to 'load' into actual Gimp folders are brushes. Fonts go into the Windows>Font folder, and everything else you just put in your own folders and just File>open them in Gimp. After that you can do what the heck you like with them Experiment is the most important thing Oma taught me when I first started, and it still holds good now

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jumbly *huggles*. I used that technique with this last sig ^ and it seems to work just fine.

Comment

See, I know what I mean, its getting out of my head and onto the keyboard so it makes sense to others that causes the problem

My feeling, Sarai, is that the pic on th right doesn't have the right colouring somehow The rest of the sig flows really well, but the green of Jack's jacket looks wrong and their faces have too much colour. Maybe if you made it a bit more transparent, or lightened it a bit?

Comment

See, I know what I mean, its getting out of my head and onto the keyboard so it makes sense to others that causes the problem

My feeling, Sarai, is that the pic on th right doesn't have the right colouring somehow The rest of the sig flows really well, but the green of Jack's jacket looks wrong and their faces have too much colour. Maybe if you made it a bit more transparent, or lightened it a bit?
                        Yeah I know what you mean, but to take down one side would mean I'd have to take down the other. Something like this....

And I think I prefer it.

Comment

Quick stupid question, when downloading textures which gimp file to you unzip them to?

I know brushes > brushes, so textures > ?

Hehe, another one. I thought i was gone crazy with that question. I trierd all folders to know the result...

Gimp2.0-share-gimp-2.0-patterns

It was a hard experience. Hope i helped you

Amazing new sigs, Fainne. Love the combination of colors!
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean, but to take down one side would mean I'd have to take down the other. Something like this....

And I think I prefer it.
                            Much better!! I'm not much of a grunge fan, but I like what you guys are making
                            sigpic

Comment

thank you. I also prefer the first one the more RDA the better :rolleyes*

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...k/grunge-1.jpg

And I think I prefer it.
                              to lower the brightness of the color you can also try it "my" way I duplicate the layer and change the top layer into black and white. then I change the transparency till it fits.

But I love your first attempt of grung anyway. really nice idea, especially the pic in the middle
                              Last edited by Fainne; 19 August 2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

And I think I prefer it.
                                I think thats much better, much more balanced. Well done

Comment

Working...
                                X