The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    You've put the brushes in the correct folder (Program Files>Adobe>PSE>8.0>Presets>Brushes) and restarted the computer?

If that doesn't work I'm at a loss.
    Oh, that might do it... Hold on!

*totters off*

Oh great, now the program won't restart... Ho boy. *headdesk*

I'll be back in a sec...

Comment

Well, this is no good. My PS won't start now. I've tried opening the program itself, and I've also tried opening one of my WIP (which usually automatically opens the program).

So it looks like I'm at a standstill... For now.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
        Well, this is no good. My PS won't start now. I've tried opening the program itself, and I've also tried opening one of my WIP (which usually automatically opens the program).

So it looks like I'm at a standstill... For now.
        You may have overwhelmed it with too many brushes. Perhaps try deleting the ones you added and load them one at a time?

Where's Nola? She's usually much better with computer issues than I am.

Comment

Actually, I noticed that it kept getting hung up at one stage in the load process, so I googled that crap and found out how to disable the load file that kept hanging things up.

The internet is awesome.

So now I'm back to making arties! Mostly playing around with my new brushes!

Comment

Actually, I noticed that it kept getting hung up at one stage in the load process, so I googled that crap and found out how to disable the load file that kept hanging things up.

The internet is awesome.

It is amazing what a little "google" can do!
            sigpic
            || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

The internet is awesome.

Originally posted by ClassicCouples View Post
              It is amazing what a little "google" can do!
              I often forget I can do that. I always seem to being doing things the hard way.

Comment

I actually store all of my brushes in a unique folder of their own. I load the brush set that I want when I need it. I do the same for fonts because I have so many of them too. The plus to doing it this way is that it doesn't hog your resources and slow PS to a halt when you're trying to open it. The downside is that you can't see everything that's available at one time once you do get PS to open.

For fonts, there are freebie programs out there that will list all of your font names with a sample of each so you can see all of them at once. (I use Nexus Font for this.) But I don't know of anything that will do the same for your brushes.

Just my 2 cents.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Comment

Hi there! Yep, Google is our friend.

I too keep my brushes in a dedicated folder and access them as needed. The fonts I keep installed - I use them on multiple programs.

Speaking of brushes - I hate it when a brush name starts with the author's name and *then* the brush name. I usually change the name to reflect what the brush actually IS. Only problem with this is that sometimes I can't find the original file online when someone wants to know what it is to download. Can't win.
                    sigpic

Comment

If anyone is looking for a free font viewer where it has a scratch pad so you can see if a font works for your artwork try the AMP Font Viewer, which I think I originally came across at Tucows. It will even do fonts you don't have installed and you can install fonts with it too. It even tells you how many fonts you have installed. This program helped me with the font for some artwork, like my ST Voyager signs for example, and when I downloaded a bunch fonts it me help weed out which ones would work and which ones won't.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Made this for the SHIP anniversary:

Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

What happened in '69 stays in '69.

Comment

Hey,

I didn't even know this thread existed until Hlndncr invited me
                            Basically I don't know anything about making a banner: I made my sig with a lot of patience and basic cut and past but I would love to make it better. So what program should I use? I think that's the first important requirement right?
                            sigpic
                            Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

Originally posted by Samfan13 View Post
                              Hey,

I didn't even know this thread existed until Hlndncr invited me
                              Basically I don't know anything about making a banner: I made my sig with a lot of patience and basic cut and past but I would love to make it better. So what program should I use? I think that's the first important requirement right?
                              If your looking for free programs then there's paint.net and gimp. I've seen someone on the AFA, Artwork for All, thread mention PhotoScape which is also free. I like to have multiple editing programs when I make art because one program may do something or have something another program does not.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I use Photoshop Elements. I just couldn't get the hang of any of those free programs. At first PS didn't seem very intuitive to me either, but it was far easier to figure out than Gimp IMO.

The great thing about PSE is that you can do most things you can with the full Creative Suite. The difference is about $400.

For about $100 you can get the latest version of PSE. The license allows you to download it on two computers. So if you get together with someone else you can share the cost and it will only cost you $50 each.

(It makes a great present if you've got a birthday or an anniversary coming up. )

Comment

Working...
                                X