Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shrill and Ill-Informed Lemming Thread (spoilers!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marimba26 View Post
    Personally, I think it's crazy NOT to complain. If we all sit around and take garbage like this, we really *would* be the lemmings Joe claims we are. If we go along with stuff we don't like, then we are not challenging them to do better. Doesn't it make a person better to be challenged? I've always thought so personally. If you have no one to challenge your accomplishments, then how can they be truly great?
    Still missing the point. I'm being attacked by those who are assuming that I think you shoulnd't complain. All I said originally was that in with the dissent and complaints were enough pointed mean barbs towards tptb that I could underestand JM's reaction to hit back, even if it maybe wasn't the smartest thing. My point was that there is a difference between challenging and being mean, and I think I've seen some fans cross the line.

Originally posted by marimba26 View Post
    Last I checked, that's what we're doing here. Discussing our grievances. and you are more than welcome to participate in that discussion. Or not. As long as you stay on topic. And last I checked, this is a "pro" thread and you aren't.
    You know, when I clicked on this thread this morning, it wasn't labeled a pro thread. I'd go start an anti-hyperbole thread, but then that brings me back to why I think PRO and ANTI only threads are inane, reduntant and silly. I don't understand the concept of starting a thread only to hear people go "oh yes, you're right".... obviously my usual style of actually interacting and conversing with people and getting different points of view is not the norm around here. I wonder if Shep and Teyla would have become as close friends as they are if he decided that in certain conversations, she had to just nod and agree with the earthers.

Ironic that the first part I quoted is that challenging and arguing is good, and the second part is that if I disagree I should shut up.
    Visit these links:
    Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
    ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
    There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
    ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoDar View Post
      And the way I read it, that was all JM was saying too.
      Actually, Joe was trying to be "subtle", I think (though the art is apparently lost on him). What he did accomplish was to mock his own fandom and blow things even *more* out of proportion than they already were. Now the fandom is drawing the proverbial line in the sand. A sad state of affairs really but the blame can only fall on one group of people. And if they aren't big enough to stand up to it directly (as opposed to mocking it indirectly and being rude), then they will get what they are asking for...loss of viewership. One may not be a lot when it comes to ratings but all those "ones" will add up and the fact is, this show doesn't have the ratings clout to lose viewers.
      Last edited by marimba26; 16 January 2007, 11:54 AM.
      Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
      Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
      Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

since i have some trouble getting my sig to work... i thought i might share with others what i did ...

expect more from same source
        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Originally posted by wannatee_1984 View Post
          OMFG guys, did you just see what I did?!!?!?!

I believe I just saw BW lurk around in here! Anyone else see that?

Hallowed be the Lemmings indeed.
          Yeh he was in here for about 50 minutes. I PMed Leelakin when I first noticed him that her thread had certainly grabbed attention, lol.

Comment

OMFG guys, did you just see what I did?!!?!?!

I believe I just saw BW lurk around in here! Anyone else see that?

Hallowed be the Lemmings indeed.
            No, you totally saw that right. He was in here.
            He could have said Hello, though
            Age is an issue of mind over matter...if you don't mind it doesn't matter

...Bonkers. But Brilliant...

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
              since i have some trouble getting my sig to work... i thought i might share with others what i did ...

expect more from same source
              haha love it!
              livejournal * fanfiction

i do not support the cast changes. No x-over. Yes Elizabeth & Carson.

Comment

Originally posted by leelakin View Post
                But will THEY get through seson 4? And if they do, do we want Elizabeth in that "new" environment? Season 4 is just about a mystery for me, I don't know what to expect anymore. But then again, depending on how the last episodes of s3 play out, I may not even continue watching SGA. (I stopped watching SG-1 after season 7 and I'm definitely NOT going to watch the new show)

Yeah; he has been for over an hour, actually. *lol*
                Eh...i'll watch the new show but only until they ruin it which I hope never happens. I just wish they could keep it all happy and perfect like it is now. Without Carson and Elizabeth anymore it won't BE Stargate Atlantis.

You know...we, the lemmings, should have our own theme song...hmm...

Lol.
                sigpic
                + // Sparky = <33

[Sig by Me!]

Comment

Yeh he was in here for about 50 minutes
                  he was reading the thread indeed, I'm glad.
                  livejournal * fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkx ` View Post
                    Maybe if I can just get through season 4...then they'll see that we need Elizabeth and they'll bring her back...
                    The ratings for next season will say everything they need to know. EVERYTHING.
                    A OUT AND PROUD TORRI/ELIZABETH FAN
                    sig made by samjack_girl, icons by me!

Comment

You know, when I clicked on this thread this morning, it wasn't labeled a pro thread.
                      Just chiming in to say that I made it clear *from the beginning* That this is a thread for "lemmings" (I think we've discussed the meaning of it for everyone to understand) to discuss their views.
                      Edit: Oh, and it DID say "PRO" from the beginning, it just wasn't bolded until after a bit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cailliath
                        I'm just waiting for the kickback from others who disagree with us that "we're setting a bad example" and "giving the fandom a bad name" etc etc....particularly in light of this thread getting BW's attention. Surely that's what's coming next?
                        Naw, don't be negative about it! We're just some fans snarkingly having fun with that statement. =)
                        Hallowed are the Lemmings!
                        sigpic

Comment

Still missing the point. I'm being attacked by those who are assuming that I think you shoulnd't complain. All I said originally was that in with the dissent and complaints were enough pointed mean barbs towards tptb that I could underestand JM's reaction to hit back, even if it maybe wasn't the smartest thing. My point was that there is a difference between challenging and being mean, and I think I've seen some fans cross the line.
                          I think we should clarify a few things. Joe posted the blog--THEN the mean barbs started. Before that, it was just rants...as fandom is wont to do. And regardless of what the fandom is doing, it is foolish as someone who is in this enterprise to make money to tick off your consumers (and let's face it, this is all about money in the end). When riled, consumers can be a powerful force and can make or break a show. As an example, you might take a look at the considerable ratings drop suffered by Battlestar Galactica this season when fans were dissatisfied with what they were seeing. Most hung around after the end of last season to see if it would get any better only to be disappointed and quit watching. The fate of the show is now in question. If you doubt the ability of fan anger to move mountains, look there.

You know, when I clicked on this thread this morning, it wasn't labeled a pro thread.
                          This is the first sentence:
                          Originally posted by leelakin
                          Only PRO lemmings!
                          I'd go start an anti-hyperbole thread, but then that brings me back to why I think PRO and ANTI only threads are inane, reduntant and silly. I don't understand the concept of starting a thread only to hear people go "oh yes, you're right".... obviously my usual style of actually interacting and conversing with people and getting different points of view is not the norm around here. I wonder if Shep and Teyla would have become as close friends as they are if he decided that in certain conversations, she had to just nod and agree with the earthers.
                          You know, I'm not even sure where to begin with this. There are plenty of threads with the "open" discussion you claim you crave. Protected threads are protected for a reason. As a shipper of years past, I can tell you that for a long time, Gateworld was the only place we could play without being lambasted for liking something. As such, a lot of us migrated here because we could find folks who valued our opinions. You claim that these threads are redundant and silly. You also claim that you value the opinions of others. If that is truly the case, then you would respect their right to find a safe place to play without benefit of your approval/judgment. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject. If you want to pass judgment on what you term "craziness", then feel free to start your own thread where you can happily do so and not be bothered by the likes of us lemmings.

Ironic that the first part I quoted is that challenging and arguing is good, and the second part is that if I disagree I should shut up.
                          My opinion stands. If you want to challenge my opinion, then I will happily engage you in a thread designed for such a purpose but until you start one, this is not the appropriate place. It is off-topic here, which is what you don't seem to get.

Comment

I wonder if he will write about lemmings again
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

Seriously, enough with this! Do people need to make drawings so it's clear enough?

eta; err re the por/con dicussion thread and the "omg stop with this hysteria!!" the name of the thread should be clear enough
                              livejournal * fanfiction

Comment

The ratings for next season will say everything they need to know. EVERYTHING.
                                Next season? Heck, there's 10 more eps of this season for me not to watch

Comment

Working...
                                X