Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
    You'd be surprised how hard that is sometimes...to divert the conversation. Especially when the guest is doing his/her best to be polite and answer the rude person's questions. I guess I don't want to come off seeming rude myself, by interrupting, especially in front of someone I admire.

That is very true! Or when the person in front of you doesn't move on, but the actor's assistant pushes your photo ahead, so you still lose that personal moment. That can be so disappointing.
    Yeh, it is a fine line between wanting to get your "moment" with the guest and either you looking rude to the guest by saying anything to the person in front or behind you. Or the guest seeming rude for asking the person to politely move on (one in front) or wait their turn (one in behind).

The reality is, we as fans all pay good money to go to the events for the purposes of meeting the guests. Sometimes paying considerable amounts just to go to the event. Nevermind the cost of autographs and photo ops. Sometimes returning year after year getting them over and over again just to get that moment. And to have other fans being inconsiderate of that moment that you get is hard for me to swallow.

Now what I did at one con last summer was a friend of mine was going (I wasn't at the time) for just the one day and I decided to go with him as he was my ride. And I was only going because Beau Bridges was there, and I got an autograph and so did he. And what we did was went up together. And it technically gave us double the time with him as we were sharing in the conversation
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post

Now what I did at one con last summer was a friend of mine was going (I wasn't at the time) for just the one day and I decided to go with him as he was my ride. And I was only going because Beau Bridges was there, and I got an autograph and so did he. And what we did was went up together. And it technically gave us double the time with him as we were sharing in the conversation
      Great idea!
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        I agree. Especially since the actors have given up their free time to come and meet with the fans. Nice way to thank them.
        they are getting paid for the appearance you know. it's not a "free" show, the fans pay and the "guests" get paid. (besides transportation, food, and lodging being paid for)
        Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        it's likely a hard line to walk....when can you tell a fan to shut up when they're just running at the mouth?
        especially when the fan PAID to be there and the "guest" is being paid to listen.

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
        It was apparent that the person was dominating the conversation, therefore someone should've changed the subject. It showed disrespect toward the actor who was there as a kind jesture.
        no kind jesture hun, money exchanged hands. in the early days of the star trek conventions that was how many of the actors supported themselves, just attending convention after convention.

Comment

True, an actor's presence is usually a PAID gig. It's no different than if they were hired to do a job for a weekend.

That said, common human decency should prevail.

AND, just because a fan has paid to be there doesn't mean that they own the event, or that they are the ONLY worthwhile person there. They are just one of hundreds that ALSo paid to be there.

No one fan is more 'worthy' than another. And is it fair to the other attendees to let one fan monopolize everything just because they think they're more important than the rest?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

True, an actor's presence is usually a PAID gig. It's no different than if they were hired to do a job for a weekend.

That said, common human decency should prevail.

AND, just because a fan has paid to be there doesn't mean that they own the event, or that they are the ONLY worthwhile person there. They are just one of hundreds that ALSo paid to be there.

No one fan is more 'worthy' than another. And is it fair to the other attendees to let one fan monopolize everything just because they think they're more important than the rest?
            No the fan should not monopolize, but is their question/comment any less valid because others disagree/dislike it? the actor (or "guest") knew he was going to be in the public sphere, his "job" there was to talk to fans...EVEN the fans who dislike his work/job. they deserve a fair hearing too. Acting is primarily a public job and an aspect that many overlook (or simply ignore) is the public relations aspect of it. any actor who makes snotty comments about people who dislike his/her work is bound to tick some people off and then hear about it later. if the fan wasn't threatening, merely wanting to ask the "guest" about his work/comments/ etc... then what is the problem? the old "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" applies to actors (ok and politicans) as well as the rest of us. if the guest didn't like what the fan said he/she can always choose to not attend another con, if they are going to attend they need to accept not everyone likes them/their work. and some people will pay money (ok not me! I admit I am cheap! ) to tell them that.
            Last edited by Rac80; 05 July 2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I didn't mean the actor was there for free.....the actor responded to an invitation to attend an event. His being there was the 'kind jesture'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                they are getting paid for the appearance you know. it's not a "free" show, the fans pay and the "guests" get paid. (besides transportation, food, and lodging being paid for)
                If you read my comment you will see that I was not suggesting the actors were there for free but rather were giving of their free time, ie weekend, to meet with fans.

No the fan should not monopolize, but is their question/comment any less valid because others disagree/dislike it? the actor (or "guest") knew he was going to be in the public sphere, his "job" there was to talk to fans...EVEN the fans who dislike his work/job. they deserve a fair hearing too. Acting is primarily a public job and an aspect that many overlook (or simply ignore) is the public relations aspect of it. any actor who makes snotty comments about people who dislike his/her work is bound to tick some people off and then hear about it later. if the fan wasn't threatening, merely wanting to ask the "guest" about his work/comments/ etc... then what is the problem? the old "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" applies to actors (ok and politicans) as well as the rest of us. if the guest didn't like what the fan said he/she can always choose to not attend another con, if they are going to attend they need to accept not everyone likes them/their work. and some people will pay money (ok not me! I admit I am cheap! ) to tell them that.
                Really? Just because someone has paid to be at a convention it gives them license to be rude? Apparently we were raised differently.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

If you read my comment you will see that I was not suggesting the actors were there for free but rather were giving of their free time, ie weekend, to meet with fans.

Really? Just because someone has paid to be at a convention it gives them license to be rude? Apparently we were raised differently.
                  And a weekend isn't necessarily "free time" for an actor..sometimes it is the only time they get paid so the other five days are in effect free time. most actors do not have a 40 hour work week all the time, the time required ebbs and flows. many cons appear to be in the down time of filming...so i am sure they appreciate any paycheck they get!
                  And just because you dislike/disagree with a comment it doesn't mean it is rude. I never said rudeness or monopolizing was acceptable, just the actors need to accept that sometimes the comments/questions will not be a glowing critique of their work. Some actors need to grow a thicker skin...not everyone is going to approve/love their work. I was raised to NOT to impute the motives of others...

Comment

And a weekend isn't necessarily "free time" for an actor..sometimes it is the only time they get paid so the other five days are in effect free time. most actors do not have a 40 hour work week all the time, the time required ebbs and flows. many cons appear to be in the down time of filming...so i am sure they appreciate any paycheck they get!
                    And just because you dislike/disagree with a comment it doesn't mean it is rude. I never said rudeness or monopolizing was acceptable, just the actors need to accept that sometimes the comments/questions will not be a glowing critique of their work. Some actors need to grow a thicker skin...not everyone is going to approve/love their work. I was raised to NOT to impute the motives of others...
                    Firstly, the actors about whom I made my comment were from Universe and are working full time on season 2.

Secondly, we obviously have different definitions of rude. I do think it is rude to criticize an actor's work to their face and to tell them how much you dislike the show they are on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn't mean you have to voice it.

Comment

I'd say, it falls under 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything'

A person doesn't have to love an actor's every performance or gig. That said, would YOU like to go to work and get torn apart with nothing but crit?

Honestly and personally? If you hate the show and just can't refrain from tearing an actor down for daring to work on something you don't like, why are you even at the con? Don't go there with the apparent attitude of 'i hate the show so i'm gonna ruin as much as i can for everyone that DARES to like that piece of junk!!!!', either don't go, or respect that others like the show and leave them be to like it.

sigpic

Comment

Not all actors get paid to attend conventions. At fan run cons, actors who are not A-list, may just attend the con to get 'face time' with the fans and make a few hundred dollars with autographs. I personally know a few that do this. They will attend for free to demonstrate their commitment to the fans and to advertise their willingness and availability to attend paid conventions in the future. As well, it gives the Fan run cons the oportunity to have more guests for the fans - more bang for the buck. There are also, unfortunately, actors who see themselves as special and will not do a con unless they are paid. That is their choice, but I see it as very short sighted. If they are new to the convention circuit, as are the SGU actors, they are not giving the fans a chance to get to know them and ask for them at gigs where they can make more money.
                        A very good example of this was Ryan Robbins who attended one of my Fan Parties in Vancouver for free. He proved to be so popular that many people who attended my party asked for him at the Creation Stargate con that followed. He got booked to work an L.A Con by Creation shortly there-after.
                        Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

I know at some of the gatecons in the past, actors just showed up - uninvited and unbooked/paid for. Part of it was to see fans, another part....they made money by selling pics/autos. It's kinda a symbiotic relationship. Fan run cons don't have the money to book a lot of actors, so they willingly accept those that just show up....knowing they won't get paid, but allowing them to sell photos/autos to make a few bucks.

the con gets more guests, the actors make some money, the fans benefit.

I think the only 'trouble' this ever causes is when the con gets to scramble to find a table and place for said actor to set up shop. A minor inconvenience that the con organizers don't seem to mind too much.

sigpic

Comment

I know at some of the gatecons in the past, actors just showed up - uninvited and unbooked/paid for. Part of it was to see fans, another part....they made money by selling pics/autos. It's kinda a symbiotic relationship. Fan run cons don't have the money to book a lot of actors, so they willingly accept those that just show up....knowing they won't get paid, but allowing them to sell photos/autos to make a few bucks.

the con gets more guests, the actors make some money, the fans benefit.

I think the only 'trouble' this ever causes is when the con gets to scramble to find a table and place for said actor to set up shop. A minor inconvenience that the con organizers don't seem to mind too much.
                            '
                            One of those minor inconveniences that I'm sure most cons have no problem with! That's what I tried to have happen for GateCon this year with some of the SGU cast. Though it doesn't appear that anything will come of it
                            My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                            "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Firstly, the actors about whom I made my comment were from Universe and are working full time on season 2.

Secondly, we obviously have different definitions of rude. I do think it is rude to criticize an actor's work to their face and to tell them how much you dislike the show they are on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn't mean you have to voice it.
                              It's his JOB to act, if he isn't doing a good job, shouldn't he want to do better? yes it's only one person's opinion - but who knows how many are not voicing their criticism. If his acting or show improves, he'll actually have his JOB longer- a good thing right? i prefer to keep my job at all costs.

I'd say, it falls under 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything'

A person doesn't have to love an actor's every performance or gig. That said, would YOU like to go to work and get torn apart with nothing but crit?

Honestly and personally? If you hate the show and just can't refrain from tearing an actor down for daring to work on something you don't like, why are you even at the con? Don't go there with the apparent attitude of 'i hate the show so i'm gonna ruin as much as i can for everyone that DARES to like that piece of junk!!!!', either don't go, or respect that others like the show and leave them be to like it.
                              or would you rather go to work one day and be fired summarily? I personally would rather know what the problem is so I can work to fix it. I look at critiquing actors/shows as a "performance review"...how else are they going to know that what they are doing isn't working if no one ever says it to them? There are nice postiive ways to tell someone they are not achieving what is necessary, but they need to hear it so they can improve their skills.
                              Last edited by Rac80; 06 July 2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

It's his JOB to act, if he isn't doing a good job, shouldn't he want to do better? yes it's only one person's opinion - but who knows how many are not voicing their criticism. If his acting or show improves, he'll actually have his JOB longer- a good thing right? i prefer to keep my job at all costs.

or would you rather go to work one day and be fired summarily? I personally would rather know what the problem is so I can work to fix it. I look at critiquing actors/shows as a "performance review"...how else are they going to know that what they are doing isn't working if no one ever says it to them? There are nice postiive ways to tell someone they are not achieving what is necessary, but they need to hear it so they can improve their skills.
                                What we are talking about is a get-together of fans and actors not an acting class. Your argument is only relevant for those in a position to make a decision regarding one's job status and that involves TPTB at SGU and not random "fans". What you're suggesting is the equivalent of me showing up at your job, in which I have no expertise, and telling you what I think you are doing wrong. If you think this is polite and helpful please send me your work address and I would be happy to oblige.

Comment

Working...
                                X