No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans go after each other all the time....and never at all. All depends on the person. Fans encompass every personality type out there.

One thing we're not going to do here is perpetrate whatever might have happened. Let's not further rumors by bringing them here.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely.....anyway Twitter and Tumblir is MUCH better for that!

Deeds xx
      sigpic
      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

My experience with do's/dont's was pretty good. No-one really said or did anything crazy (while I was around to see it anyway). Although, Aleks Paunovic called me a prick and told me to stop stalking him. Pretty sure he was joking though since he wrote it on the photo. LOL

Comment

^^^^ I guess I should add that we're friends so it's all good!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi40 View Post
            Does anyone have an updated list on the don't at a convention? I tried the links on the first page but I get nothing but a error 404 message.
            Anyone??
            Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman10 View Post
              ^^^^ I guess I should add that we're friends so it's all good!

Shaun, is that you?
              Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi40 View Post
                Anyone??
                Sorry, no...but I suggest you skim this thread. You will pretty much be able to determine all the don'ts by what people complain about. The do's are simple...treat others the way you would expect to be treated.
                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

I think Rule #1 for any con is "Have Fun".

Wouldn't you folks agree?
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

John Scalzi, one of my fave authors (who also consulted on SGU) wrote this Brilliant post on Convention behaviour. I thought it would make for a thought provoking discussion.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/08/0...-not-creeping/
                    sigpic
                    Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1 View Post
                      John Scalzi, one of my fave authors (who also consulted on SGU) wrote this Brilliant post on Convention behaviour. I thought it would make for a thought provoking discussion.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/08/0...-not-creeping/
                      Sound advice there.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I'm really missing going to cons...my last full one was in 2008

I might go to Collectormania Glasgow, but there aren't any guests I'm wanting to meet.

I think the best I can hope for (if I get a job) is to go to LFCC or Collectormania Milton Keynes next year. I'm still dreaming of a lottery win so I can get to DragonCon one day
                        Last edited by sueKay; 20 August 2012, 06:15 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I won't be going to Collectormania Glasgow this year, I'm saving my pennies for the RAF Leuchars air show next month.
                          sigpic

Comment

My next Con will be Invasion 3 in May or Serenity Forever in September next year.

But as for advice for a con.
                            Do take Batteries for your camera. Do take spending money. And do a check for local resturants and fast food outlets near to the hotel, they tend to be cheaper
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                              My next Con will be Invasion 3 in May or Serenity Forever in September next year.

But as for advice for a con.
                              Do take Batteries for your camera. Do take spending money. And do a check for local resturants and fast food outlets near to the hotel, they tend to be cheaper
                              I would add that, if you partake of alcohol, do so only in moderation.

I like the odd drink now and again, but 99 times out of 100 if I'm in the pub I drink non alcoholic cider.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                I would add that, if you partake of alcohol, do so only in moderation.

I like the odd drink now and again, but 99 times out of 100 if I'm in the pub I drink non alcoholic cider.
                                Hah, with the cost of hotel booze, moderation is the way to go.

Though British cons run on and around the fan bar, we work very hard with hotels to provide real ale and cider and soft drinks at reasonable prices for fans. We've had some very helpful hotels (and a lot of very idle ones) who have trained staff in the care and handling of real beer, who have erected scaffolding(!) for the barrels, who have worked with us and breweries to make a convention bar work.
                                Very fond memories of the Worldcon in 2005, running the fan room with many, many barrels of beer from a local brewery behind the Conference centre. We drank 2 weeks production of beer in five days, the owner came back from the GBBF to see who these voracious beer fiends were.
                                The staff were from the hotel and had a whale of a time, on Pirate Night, the staff all dressed up in costume too. When we returned to the hotel for an Eastercon the following year, the same staff all volunteered to work bar again.

Though in 30 years of con going, I've seen very few bad incidents in SF Fandom; we drink like the Rugby club but act like the chess club, according to one hotel manager.

FF Who's been running conventions since 1988!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X