Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
    ....very uncalled for!! Where was 'security'? I wouldn't be surprised if certain actors stopped doing the M&G's.
    I doubt security would intervne unless the actor requested it or the person was making threatening gestures. It's not security's job to monitor the talks, they are there to protect the actor and make sure the actor gets there and leaves on time.

The woman wasn't threatening, just very rude, irritating and selfish.
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
      I doubt security would intervne unless the actor requested it or the person was making threatening gestures. It's not security's job to monitor the talks, they are there to protect the actor and make sure the actor gets there and leaves on time.

The woman wasn't threatening, just very rude, irritating and selfish.
      I didn't mean security....per se....its the people assigned to the actors. The actor shouldn't have been put in the situation in the first place. I've been to many of that organizations events.

Comment

it's likely a hard line to walk....when can you tell a fan to shut up when they're just running at the mouth?
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I didn't mean security....per se....its the people assigned to the actors. The actor shouldn't have been put in the situation in the first place. I've been to many of that organizations events.
          Oh, gotcha!
          The actor nor the other people who paid good money to be there to have a fun and decent conversation with Joe.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            it's likely a hard line to walk....when can you tell a fan to shut up when they're just running at the mouth?
            When the other people at the table are giving you dirty looks?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
              When the other people at the table are giving you dirty looks?
              What about a friendly, 'Maybe we could move on to (name topic here) Joe, I'd love to here about...".
              Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                What about a friendly, 'Maybe we could move on to (name topic here) Joe, I'd love to here about...".
                That would work. That is unless they are dominating the conversation & not letting anyone get a word in edgewise. Or if they keep reverting the topic back to it.
                My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

I can totally understand the feelings behind being upset about SGA's cancellation, but to make the actor who someone obvioulsy like a lot (they paid good $$$$ for the M&G) uncomfortable, just seems to defeat the purpose of being there. To try to "goad" an actor into saying something that he or she might not want to just seems a bit self-serving to me.
                  Although, if I were ever in a Meet and Greet I know I'd be so tongue-tied, I wouldn't say anything at all....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                    That would work. That is unless they are dominating the conversation & not letting anyone get a word in edgewise. Or if they keep reverting the topic back to it.
                    If that incident had happened at a con in Scotland, it'd been more a case of "Shut yer pie hole ya silly ***** and let the poor bugger get a word in edgeways."
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

It was apparent that the person was dominating the conversation, therefore someone should've changed the subject. It showed disrespect toward the actor who was there as a kind jesture.

Comment

I've read much of this thread, didn't see the the thing that i think is rude at cons to me the most. When i hand my photo/item to be autographed to actor. This is my momement (i feel) to to personally say hi, and maybe have a couple words with them before they are done signing and i move on. But the person behind me in line starts a conversation with the actor, and i never get to say anything. To me thats my number one annoyance at cons.

Comment

Originally posted by dag1701 View Post
                          I've read much of this thread, didn't see the the thing that i think is rude at cons to me the most. When i hand my photo/item to be autographed to actor. This is my momement (i feel) to to personally say hi, and maybe have a couple words with them before they are done signing and i move on. But the person behind me in line starts a conversation with the actor, and i never get to say anything. To me thats my number one annoyance at cons.
                          Yeh that would be probably one of the most annoying things to me too. I am a very shy person, and for someone behind me to start talking to the guest, would be hard for me as I don't like to interrupt anyone when they are talking. For one, it would probably look rude to the guest, and also I don't have the assertiveness to tell the person behind me to lay off while I'm having my 30 seconds of time with the guest.

For the most part, the autograph sessions and photo ops are almost like an assembly line. Given the amount of people that they have to get through the line. Chances are, you are lucky if you get 30-45 seconds or so. And in some cases with some of the con organizers having a "no personalization" policy. That time may be cut down considerably.

From personal experience being at GateCon in '08, I found that I wasn't really a fan of those times just because I knew that if anyone was looking for any quality time with the guest, they probably weren't going to get it. Especially if like said above, someone behind you is trying to dominate the conversation. What was worse was being at a ComicCon in Toronto a few months ago, and I had my photo taken with Jewel Staite, and I was lucky if that photo op lasted more than 20 seconds. I could hardly believe how many people they had gotten through with in a fifteen minute period. Had to be over a hundred or so people.
                          My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                          "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

For the most part, the autograph sessions and photo ops are almost like an assembly line. Given the amount of people that they have to get through the line. Chances are, you are lucky if you get 30-45 seconds or so. And in some cases with some of the con organizers having a "no personalization" policy. That time may be cut down considerably.

From personal experience being at GateCon in '08, I found that I wasn't really a fan of those times just because I knew that if anyone was looking for any quality time with the guest, they probably weren't going to get it. Especially if like said above, someone behind you is trying to dominate the conversation. What was worse was being at a ComicCon in Toronto a few months ago, and I had my photo taken with Jewel Staite, and I was lucky if that photo op lasted more than 20 seconds. I could hardly believe how many people they had gotten through with in a fifteen minute period. Had to be over a hundred or so people.
                            You are correct, i have been to many large Star trek cons, last year i went to the Vegas show for first time. And yes they run it like a assembly line. You get 30 seconds. Afew actors will take their time for you, but mostly not. I was at the recent Minneapolis Stargate con. It was maybe a 100 people! So Creation allowed it to be very intamate. We could ask for perosnalaztion with autographs, chat, etc. And the second day I placed a photo on table for Joe Flanigan to sign, at that moment the lady behind mestarts talking to Joe! So to be polite he conversed with her.

Years ago i went to a star trek con and it was the first year they were doing photo-ops. Me and my son did shatner & Nimoy. We lined up outside room. We were let in. They got up from chairs,shook our hands,asked where we from.chatted for another minute. We then stood between them took picture said thank you they resonded back. took 3 or so minutes. Acutually talked to them . Few years later we did it again. The line went right into room, they were sitting in chairs talking to each other. We were told to stand on tape mark on floor. Photographer said ready, they lokked at camera smiled,click, and they went back to talking to each other. We were already being rushed out. they never even acknowledged we were in room. so over time it became very impersonable. Some actors today thou i will say will give you their attention,say hello, but its still pretty short.

But i will continue to to them!! i enjoy getting my pic them.

Comment

Yeh that would be probably one of the most annoying things to me too. I am a very shy person, and for someone behind me to start talking to the guest, would be hard for me as I don't like to interrupt anyone when they are talking. For one, it would probably look rude to the guest, and also I don't have the assertiveness to tell the person behind me to lay off while I'm having my 30 seconds of time with the guest.

I feel for you, SG-7, and for you, Dag1701. Not all of us are able to assert ourselves enough to politely tell someone off. And the actors often won't do it for fear of giving the wrong impression to the fans. If it helps at all, most people who start talking to the actors before you are done are not trying to be rude. they usually are just so excited to meet the person that their mouth run-eth over.

What usually works for me, is to take part in the conversation with the actor and the person behind me. If that isn't possible, I'd suggest saying, "Oh, sorry, I was just going to ask (name here) about......" Then, hopefully, the person behind you gets the hint.
                              Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

It was apparent that the person was dominating the conversation, therefore someone should've changed the subject. It showed disrespect toward the actor who was there as a kind jesture.
                                You'd be surprised how hard that is sometimes...to divert the conversation. Especially when the guest is doing his/her best to be polite and answer the rude person's questions. I guess I don't want to come off seeming rude myself, by interrupting, especially in front of someone I admire.

Originally posted by dag1701 View Post
                                That is very true! Or when the person in front of you doesn't move on, but the actor's assistant pushes your photo ahead, so you still lose that personal moment. That can be so disappointing.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X