No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds great . I'd love to go to a con. I think I will put it on a list of things I want to do in the next year or 2. i would hope that people would control themselves at the events.
    sigpic
    Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Agreed.

Although having said that, I was groped a couple of times by a brace of rather buxom Klingon ladies at a Star Trek con in Glasgow some years ago. If memory serves, it took a week for the bruises to fade...

Those Klingon gals do like to play rough.
      Sounds like you have ALL the fun!!!
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
        Sounds like you have ALL the fun!!!
        It was something of an experience, yes.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          I'd say, it falls under 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything'

A person doesn't have to love an actor's every performance or gig. That said, would YOU like to go to work and get torn apart with nothing but crit?

Honestly and personally? If you hate the show and just can't refrain from tearing an actor down for daring to work on something you don't like, why are you even at the con? Don't go there with the apparent attitude of 'i hate the show so i'm gonna ruin as much as i can for everyone that DARES to like that piece of junk!!!!', either don't go, or respect that others like the show and leave them be to like it.
          You can criticize without being nasty. You can say, 'well, that episode wasn't one of my favorites' and leave it at that, but if you dislike a particular actor, for whatever reason (he looks like your -ex, etc.) then don't go to his panels, or waste your time tearing him down. If you spend all your time going "This guy is a jerk" then you're a troll, or someone who needs some serious time off the net

I can't fathom why anybody would walk up to someone and say "your acting stinks," but I"m sure it happens. It's a hazard of that profession. After all, critics savage/praise actors, directors, etc. all the time in the press.

But there is a nicer way to say "tell me why I should watch your show" (which one fan said to Jason Momoa at his first con - no wonder he was drinking onstage). Before you open your mouth with a caustic comment, just imagine a moment you want to ask the same question of your boss - or your parent - etc.

But as for etiquette at cons, well, judging from a bunch of mail I read on NY COmic Con, one of the biggest gripes was fans who do NOT use deoderant. I fortunately missed out on those maloderous folks, but a lot did not.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            But as for etiquette at cons, well, judging from a bunch of mail I read on NY COmic Con, one of the biggest gripes was fans who do NOT use deoderant. I fortunately missed out on those maloderous folks, but a lot did not.
            ...and what makes it worse is when a guest panelist makes a comment about the 'fan funk'....makes one want to crawl under the seat.

Comment

yes, bathing should not be optional but a necessity
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I simply cannot understand the "no bathing" mentality at Conventions.....at the end of a busy day queueing and before the evening's events, the first thing I want to do is jump in the shower and after a late night and short amount of sleep a good shower first thing in the morning is the perfect way to wake up......

I don't "do" costuming but can imagine that this is where the "sweaty bit" can get worse...and clothes can "hold on" to a "pong" a lot longer than the body...

I'm also paranoid about over perfuming myself - nothing worse than being overwhelmed by it....but some deodorant/anti-perspirants these days have gorgeous smells...no need to douse yourself in Chanel No.5 as well!...

Deeds xx
                sigpic
                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

There are probably a miniscule amount of fans worldwide who have a medical disorder that may cause stinkiness, but for the most part, it's sheer inconsideration. Did not bathe, did not use deoderant, or combination of both. and what can also be worse are women (and sometimes) guys, who have no idea how to use perfume/cologne. You can smell them a mile away. I used to work with someone like that and I got good at holding my breath when going by their office.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    yes, bathing should not be optional but a necessity
                    The only thing I can come up with is that, at some of these massive cons, people cram as many people into a hotel room as possible, allowing for minimal access to bathing facilities. Otherwise, I got nuthin'.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, back in the good ol' bad ol' days of conventions, cramming anything up to a dozen people into one hotel bedroom wasn't uncommon.

But these days it's pretty much frowned upon. Fire regulations and so on.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Well, back in the good ol' bad ol' days of conventions, cramming anything up to a dozen people into one hotel bedroom wasn't uncommon.
                        I remember the good ol' bad ol' days. My first convention was 20 years ago.
                        But I have to agree. Keeping yourself clean and stink free is important.
                        I can remember at one Con I was told I smelled 'gorgeous'... I'd used Lynx 'Chocolate' scented anti persperant and deodorant.

ttyl
                        Wizzy
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Yeah....my hubby is a great favourite amongst my friends to have a cuddle with at Cons .....he wears Paco Rabanne's "Ultraviolet Man"....seems to go down a storm!!...

Deeds xx
                          sigpic

Comment

Also, be sure and brush the ol' toothypegs after breakfast/spicy food.

No one likes dogbreath.
                            sigpic

Comment

I can't believe people still need to be told this, but DON'T ASK FOR HUGS DURING THE GENERAL Q&A TIME. It's super awkward for everyone cos it's hard for the guest(s) to say no without looking like a douche and you're taking up time from people who have genuine questions. You just look like an ass and people will hate you. You are not special. So, please, STOP IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Switch42 View Post
                                I can't believe people still need to be told this, but DON'T ASK FOR HUGS DURING THE GENERAL Q&A TIME. It's super awkward for everyone cos it's hard for the guest(s) to say no without looking like a douche and you're taking up time from people who have genuine questions. You just look like an ass and people will hate you. You are not special. So, please, STOP IT!

Oh hon I hear ya!....Sadly there will always be those few individuals who consider their own "needs" and/or "wants" are way above any other fans' in the room....they will continue on their merry way (and peeing off fellow fans, organisers and the guests in the mean time) ignoring all hints to stop.....I've seen this sort of behaviour at the talks, in the autograph queues (talking or butting in to someone else's all-too-brief conversation time) and elsewhere trying to draw attention to themselves.......they can't help it, we all want them to stop it, but sadly they won't......

Deeds xx
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X