X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    oh yeah, what happens on stage is free game

it's private conversations that should stay private
    That and and unless the guest wants something passed around (drumming up support for something), I probably wouldn't even think to bother sharing just because it would be just like talking to a friend. And I would never bother sharing those and these wouldn't be any different. If it is just the guest saying "hi", then I may mention that I was "talking" to so and so, or that so and so said "hi", etc. But wouldn't be bothered to share what exactly was said. That is of course like I said, the guest wants something "shared" with others
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by halfbloodme View Post
      I'd actually add this to it too. Even at a photo op a star may not want to be touched AT ALL. There are several who do NOT like being touched in anyway unless they invite you to. Even a hug can be too much. Don't expect that hug, wait to be invited for it and don't be the one to instigate it. I know of one star (in a different fandom) who got so offended by the amount of people trying to hug them they walked out and refused to do another photo op.
      Hi guys,
      interesting discussion here I just discovered.
      Since I was at the FedCon in Bonn last weekend, I can say something to that theme too. I'd a photo-op with Joe Flanigan, and before the op started, a helper informed us all that he doesn't want hugs, or kisses, or jumping on him or whatever......a normal pose it should be....and that was completely alright for me...aside from that that I never would have even considered to hug him just like that or so....LOL I was dying anyway at the whole op with him...because he's my most favorite actor of SGA
      And he was as nice and friendly and wonderful as I thought he would be, I was even able to switch a word or two with him, still can't believe it. LOL
      Spoiler:

Now the photo-op with David Hewlett was a different thing, he's another type than Joe in this I assume and the moment I stepped aside him, he laid his arm around my shoulder and drew me close, I didn't do anything at all, it was coming from him.
      Spoiler:

What I wanna say is, all the actors on this cons (and it was my very first con and I behaved, yeah), they do deserve our greatest respect, because they're not some kind of common property and they've the right of their privacy and the right of their personal space they need and want. So we should treat them the same way we want to be treat by ourselves.
      I also heard of course that there were two girls who clung at JF as he stepped out an elevator, a behaviour I can't tolerate and I don't approve. But I think you find this kind of fans all over the world, unfortunately. *sighs resignated*
      http://www.fanfiction.net/~dunnia http://www.jfjsthunksisters.org/portal.php
      sigpic
      Fabulous Siggie made by my dear friend Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by ardunnia View Post
        Hi guys,
        interesting discussion here I just discovered.
        Since I was at the FedCon in Bonn last weekend, I can say something to that theme too. I'd a photo-op with Joe Flanigan, and before the op started, a helper informed us all that he doesn't want hugs, or kisses, or jumping on him or whatever......a normal pose it should be....and that was completely alright for me...aside from that that I never would have even considered to hug him just like that or so....LOL I was dying anyway at the whole op with him...because he's my most favorite actor of SGA
        And he was as nice and friendly and wonderful as I thought he would be, I was even able to switch a word or two with him, still can't believe it. LOL
        Spoiler:

Now the photo-op with David Hewlett was a different thing, he's another type than Joe in this I assume and the moment I stepped aside him, he laid his arm around my shoulder and drew me close, I didn't do anything at all, it was coming from him.
        Spoiler:

What I wanna say is, all the actors on this cons (and it was my very first con and I behaved, yeah), they do deserve our greatest respect, because they're not some kind of common property and they've the right of their privacy and the right of their personal space they need and want. So we should treat them the same way we want to be treat by ourselves.
        I also heard of course that there were two girls who clung at JF as he stepped out an elevator, a behaviour I can't tolerate and I don't approve. But I think you find this kind of fans all over the world, unfortunately. *sighs resignated*
        If I was stuck in an elevator with my favorite Paul McGillion or even any other one for that matter, I would probably clam up and barely say anything, as I am quite shy and am not really the hugging (photo ops) or talkative type. I'm not bad once I get to know a person. But not so much when I don't know them. I may say "Hi" or something to be nice. And if they strike up a conversation, then I may continue chatting. Or if I get the nerve to, I may even say Hi and ask how they are enjoying the con or something. But most likely I wouldn't say much just because as I say, I'm not very open with people I don't know
        Last edited by SG7; 06 May 2010, 10:10 AM.
        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Well, it happened again with another recent convention. A couple brought their child and used him to get attention from the actors. I'm not the only one who noticed this, by the way. Other people commented on it as well. So, since they paid their money like everyone else, I guess the rest of us, get to put up with it.
          Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
            Well, it happened again with another recent convention. A couple brought their child and used him to get attention from the actors. I'm not the only one who noticed this, by the way. Other people commented on it as well. So, since they paid their money like everyone else, I guess the rest of us, get to put up with it.
            I'm pretty sure I know who you mean (and I wasn't even at the con) seems to be their M.O.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

about the only thing fans can do is write variuos con companies and say 'please disallow kids'

I know the gabit cons are 16+ only (maybe it's 18?)

adults only please, leave the kids at home.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                I'm pretty sure I know who you mean (and I wasn't even at the con) seems to be their M.O.
                And I wouldn't be surprised that if fans are noticing, then there probably is a good chance the guests realize this and are seeing it as well. If anything, I wouldn't recommend those under 10-12 at least attend the cons, as there is rarely ever anything for them to do, and to have them sitting in a panel for one or two hours listening to adults ask questions to the guests on stage, I'm sure would get boring rather quickly. While there may be the odd child that is really into Stargate. Most would be over that age anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                  I noticed it too, and I was sitting all the way at the back of the room. Poor Rachel....kept getting interrupted but kept her composure.

Comment

maybe attendees of the con need to drop a line to the organizers, complaining about the disruptive person using their children and suggest 'hey, if i'm going to pay my admission ticket then spend all weekend watching mr and mrs attentionseeker prostitute their kids to get attention, i'll just find other cons to go to' and suggest that kids have no place at a convention and maybe they need to implement a 16 and over rule

let them know that the presence of the kid and its parents definitely soured your weekend
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      maybe attendees of the con need to drop a line to the organizers, complaining about the disruptive person using their children and suggest 'hey, if i'm going to pay my admission ticket then spend all weekend watching mr and mrs attentionseeker prostitute their kids to get attention, i'll just find other cons to go to' and suggest that kids have no place at a convention and maybe they need to implement a 16 and over rule

let them know that the presence of the kid and its parents definitely soured your weekend
                      It's one thing to have a 12 or thirteen year old kid at a con. It's anther thing to drag and subject a 3yr old or even a 6yr old to the con. As there is quite literally no things for kids to do at the cons. It is just hard on the kids, hard on the parents who have to mind their every move and hard on other attendees. When people go to movies, they don't bring their babies. And if they do, it is to a viewing that is specifically "baby friendly".

Comment

This wouldn't be the one who started queueing for an 8.30 pm pre-registration at 12.30 with said young child would it?....not many things make me speechless but that most certainly did!....

On second thoughts, I don't think I really need an answer to that!...

Deeds xx
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                        MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I won't make my commentary on the family in question in the above comments.

As far as kids at conventions, I have mixed feelings. Two years ago, my boys came for one day. They were 9 (almost 10) and 13. Luckily also, my husband was at the hotel, but didn't attend the con. They sat in on 2 panels, quietly, I might add. We did do photo ops and got autographs. They were very well behaved, as some here can attest.
                          But if they were there for the full con, they would have gotten bored. My older son wanted to go for one more day, but it didn't work out.

I think small children get bored easily and can be a distraction. So, the parents need to be willing to leave panels if the child 'acts up'. Also, parents need to take into consideration the language aspects of the panels. They can be very adult in nature and if you don't want your child exposed to that, then don't bring them.

So, in conclusion, I think that parents need to use thier best judgment when it comes to kids. The parents need to realize that they will miss out on some of the con, because thier child should come first.
                          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite View Post
                            I won't make my commentary on the family in question in the above comments.

As far as kids at conventions, I have mixed feelings. Two years ago, my boys came for one day. They were 9 (almost 10) and 13. Luckily also, my husband was at the hotel, but didn't attend the con. They sat in on 2 panels, quietly, I might add. We did do photo ops and got autographs. They were very well behaved, as some here can attest.
                            But if they were there for the full con, they would have gotten bored. My older son wanted to go for one more day, but it didn't work out.

I think small children get bored easily and can be a distraction. So, the parents need to be willing to leave panels if the child 'acts up'. Also, parents need to take into consideration the language aspects of the panels. They can be very adult in nature and if you don't want your child exposed to that, then don't bring them.

So, in conclusion, I think that parents need to use thier best judgment when it comes to kids. The parents need to realize that they will miss out on some of the con, because thier child should come first.
                            I agree. I brought my daughter once when she was very young to a StarTrek convention because her babysitter backed out. I had paid for the ticket and wanted to see the guests. I knew she was a pretty quiet kid so I thought I'd take the chance. She slept through one panel and when she got restless at another I walked her out and we walked around the convention hall.
                            You have to know your kid and be willing to leave if they act up - that's part of being a parent.

I don't necessarily agree that children do not belong at conventions but parents have to be willing to deal with the situations as they arise. Yes they may have paid for a ticket but so did everyone else and having kids means parents do have to make sacrifices, whether pleasant or not.
                            sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I go to the Cons to get AWAY from my family and forget my responsibilities as a parent for awhile! Why would I want to take my kid???
                              sigpic

Comment

It's not the kids at the con that bother me. Some kids are annoying, and the parents seem to get the message pretty fast from the other registrants. Or the parents are responsible and take the kids out. What I object to are the parents that use their child to win costume competitions year after year because their kid is the only one competing in what is really an adult competition. Of course the organizers are going to go with cute. How can they not and continue to look like they have a heart.

One year, after this kid was first born, they used him in the centerpiece competition. Okay, that was cute. If they had taken their winnings and left it at that, I would have no issue with them. But, they have used that cuteness their kid naturally has for at least 3 years running, to gain more and more loot from the competitions. And, now, they are blatantly using the kid to get attention from the actors. If an adult made as much effort to spend time with the actors the way this couple does with the child, most people would have the person ostracized pretty fast. I know, because I've seen it with various divas (no reflection on you, Deeds) in past years.

Another concern would be that this couple is virtually offering the child to strangers. Will this child have issues with caution around strangers in the future?

Unfortunately, this pattern looks like it will continue since one of the parents is now making efforts to volunteer for the organization, providing more opportunity for the couple to get as close to the actors as they can.
                                Last edited by Arctic Goddess; 07 May 2010, 05:14 PM.
                                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X