No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno if we've already covered this, but...

If you're coming into a panel or a guest talk that's already started, don't make a big deal of finding somewhere to sit.

It's distracting, and it's annoying.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
      But as for etiquette at cons, well, judging from a bunch of mail I read on NY COmic Con, one of the biggest gripes was fans who do NOT use deoderant. I fortunately missed out on those maloderous folks, but a lot did not.
      I've never been unfortunate enough to experience con fun, but I remember a story voice actor Spike Spencer mentioned about an encounter at an anime con. A woman asked him for a hug, he said yes. She proceeded to shove his face into her chest, he said he was all "wahey" quickly followed by "OMG! Gag!"
      He said the smell lingered on him for the rest of the day and other VAs were commenting on it.

Even if you don't have access to a shower (one hotel I was staying at didn't have any hot water due to a broken heater), there's no reason that you still can't be clean. At said hotel we washed with cold water from the sink and soap and used copious amounts of deodorant.

Oh and bathing doesn't do much good if you don't change your clothes daily as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Demonique View Post
        I've never been unfortunate enough to experience con fun, but I remember a story voice actor Spike Spencer mentioned about an encounter at an anime con. A woman asked him for a hug, he said yes. She proceeded to shove his face into her chest, he said he was all "wahey" quickly followed by "OMG! Gag!"
        He said the smell lingered on him for the rest of the day and other VAs were commenting on it.

Even if you don't have access to a shower (one hotel I was staying at didn't have any hot water due to a broken heater), there's no reason that you still can't be clean. At said hotel we washed with cold water from the sink and soap and used copious amounts of deodorant.

Oh and bathing doesn't do much good if you don't change your clothes daily as well.
        And if you are going to be in costume for the whole weekend, it would be a good idea to wear undershirts or other under type garments that can be changed daily as costumes (depending on how involved) can get very hot and sweaty after a while of con activities

And yes if you are going to be asking for hugs from the guests (when & where appropriate), or getting photo ops or doing other things that may have you in contact with the guests, be mindful that the guests still have to interact with the rest of the con goers for the rest of the weekend. So bathing & ensuring personal hygiene is something that should not be an option but expected
        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Hey all I just attended the Phoenix Comic Con here in Phoenix Arizona. It was great I had a lot of fun I met and did a photo op with Paul McGillion it was great, but my eye looked weird in the photo op. Is there any tips for future reference when you taking photo ops? the picture when by so quickly
          sigpic
          May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
            And if you are going to be in costume for the whole weekend, it would be a good idea to wear undershirts or other under type garments that can be changed daily as costumes (depending on how involved) can get very hot and sweaty after a while of con activities

And yes if you are going to be asking for hugs from the guests (when & where appropriate), or getting photo ops or doing other things that may have you in contact with the guests, be mindful that the guests still have to interact with the rest of the con goers for the rest of the weekend. So bathing & ensuring personal hygiene is something that should not be an option but expected

boy is that true !!
            sigpic
            May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

And when you see the Mama Duck (yes this is me, being me) show me some love, cause I have missed you all these last couple of years!!
              Under Construction... www.fractured-infinity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Duckie View Post
                And when you see the Mama Duck (yes this is me, being me) show me some love, cause I have missed you all these last couple of years!!
                Yay! (((hugs)))

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  people are not above using thier children to get attention. I've seen it before. they drag their little ones to a con and push them at the actors, hoping to get the kids, and themselves, noticed.

i'm not trying to be rude about the kids and i understand that babysitters can be hard to find...but i've also sat in a con hall and had to deal with a crying baby which meant that i couldn't hear the actor.

or upset and fussy kids, or kids that are left to run amuck while mom and dad sit and watch the panel...thus ruinign it for the rest of us.

IMHO, kids have no places at many cons and parents should accept and be aware of that fact.
                  and if you have to bring your kids, the little beggers better behave or you need to take them outside and leave the rest of us in peace
                  I have yet to go to a con, but that certainly would piss me off if I was there to see my favourite actors!
                  "Go to hell!"

"Earth first!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Duckie View Post
                    We have missed YOU too! More than you will ever know!!
                    Purple's Biggest Fan
                    A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

Looks like I won't make it to any cons this year. I'm still unemployed, so I've very little in the way of disposable income.

The only event I could go to is Collectormania Glasgow, which is held in late August.
                      However, it's being held on the same weekend as my parents wedding anniversary (their 50th doncherknow), I don't think much of the guest list so far, and I had my camera stolen while I was at it last year.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Question: I'm shy and I might like signed photos or just approach the table. Are there kind actors who would love to meet someone like that and would go out of their way to make me feel welcome and part of the experience? Just wondering cuz I'd seriously get el-cheapo tix and sit at the back, and maybe wander aimlessly through the tables afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Rushd View Post
                          Question: I'm shy and I might like signed photos or just approach the table. Are there kind actors who would love to meet someone like that and would go out of their way to make me feel welcome and part of the experience? Just wondering cuz I'd seriously get el-cheapo tix and sit at the back, and maybe wander aimlessly through the tables afterwards.
                          Alot depends on the type of convention you go to.

At Creation conventions, the autographs are done row by row..with gold first, then preferred, etc. If you get el-cheapo you will have a long wait.

Some conventions go by ticket number.

Other conventions put the actors in a room where you can approach the table as you want to. If no one is waiting you may get to have a short conversation but you never know, though I have found most actors do like to talk as many of them enjoy meeting the fans as much as the fans enjoy meeting them.

At the autograph table, the Stargate actors in general tend to be pretty good and try to say something or at least make eye contact with you while signing autographs. Course there are always exceptions, but in general, they are pretty good. Given the amount of autographs that they do sign, some of the more popular actors may only give you a quick second but for the most part they do try.

Alot of the experience also really depends on the handlers and if the actors are being rushed or not.

Basically, you can't go in expecting anything and if it happens, enjoy it.
                          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post

Other conventions put the actors in a room where you can approach the table as you want to. If no one is waiting you may get to have a short conversation but you never know, though I have found most actors do like to talk as many of them enjoy meeting the fans as much as the fans enjoy meeting them.
                            Last year, when Joe Flanigan came to London (Entertainment Media Show) there weren't many ppl around on Sunday. When I came up for the autograph, I ended up with noone behind me so I had all the time in the world for chatting with him, especially that he seemed really bored haha! Not that I used this time well cause I was awfully nervous, but still it's all about the timing I guess... I ran into him again at the very end and he was nice enough to stop and exchange few words again they seem to be really approachable and nice as long as you don't cross certain boundaries and start acting stalkish/creepish and generally insane

I'm sure it's different with big, themed cons like Creation. Never been to one before but I'm being de-flowered this year going Gold cause I want to experience it to the fullest
                            sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have an updated list on the don't at a convention? I tried the links on the first page but I get nothing but a error 404 message.
                              Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Wow, this is my first official post, and it took me FOREVER to read thru so much of this and finally think of where to post, thank you guys for having so much cool stuff here!

Just got done with Vancouver it was my very first con!!! and was curious about something. I saw/overheard a kind of unsavory bit at one of the autograph tables, and wondered just how often the fans take a go at one another? It was clearly a case of someone jumping to conclusions, but I don't know. I had so much fun until then, and after this I feel.....well, sad. Does anyone know if this happens often? I felt so embarrassed to even be in the same room, and felt really bad for the person who was a victim of someone else's overly zealous behaviour!

Comment

Working...
                                X