No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"All things in moderation" as the saying goes.

By all means have one or two drinks - if you drink alcohol that is.

A good friend of mine doesn't drink booze because it reacts badly with the meds he takes to control his epilepsy.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
      "All things in moderation" as the saying goes.

By all means have one or two drinks - if you drink alcohol that is.

A good friend of mine doesn't drink booze because it reacts badly with the meds he takes to control his epilepsy.
      Moderation is definietly the key!

There are alot of people who go to the conventions and participate in evening activities who don't drink. Many are under 21, some have medical issues and some just don't care for the stuff. They still usually like to socialize with everyone, they just drink pop, water or some other non-alcholic drink or especially for the underage crowd, they have their own non-alcholic get together after the Convention's evening events.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

At the Q&A's what kind of questions will be okay to ask and what would be ones that wouldn't?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by drschneider View Post
          At the Q&A's what kind of questions will be okay to ask and what would be ones that wouldn't?

Thanks.
          It's generally best to stick with questions regarding their work. Stargate or not. Personal things can get...sticky....

Comment

Originally posted by drschneider View Post

Thanks.
            i would leave

personal life
            sig others
            kids
            contentious issues
            embarrassing things

out of it.

no 'boxers or briefs', nothing that could get them in trouble with their bosses - like 'aren't you glad that so and so left the show'
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              i would leave

personal life
              sig others
              kids
              contentious issues
              embarrassing things

out of it.

no 'boxers or briefs', nothing that could get them in trouble with their bosses - like 'aren't you glad that so and so left the show'
              This probably falls under embarassing, but don't ask the guys to take their shirts off. It got rather uncomfortable at one of the conventions last year when every male actor there was asked to take his shirt off and not by the same female fan. The shirt thing started a few years earlier with one actor as a fund raising stunt for a charity and he knew he was going to be asked before he went on stage so he had agreed to it before hand. He did it two years in a row and fans went wild with it. The third year he said no, find another way to raise money but by then I think fans thought that they could ask any of the guys.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                This probably falls under embarassing, but don't ask the guys to take their shirts off. It got rather uncomfortable at one of the conventions last year when every male actor there was asked to take his shirt off and not by the same female fan. The shirt thing started a few years earlier with one actor as a fund raising stunt for a charity and he knew he was going to be asked before he went on stage so he had agreed to it before hand. He did it two years in a row and fans went wild with it. The third year he said no, find another way to raise money but by then I think fans thought that they could ask any of the guys.
                That sounds terrible lol.
                sigpic

Comment

I have photographic evidence of Colin Cunningham taking his t-shirt off at the Wolf SG-6 con.

But then again, Colin's more barking than Battersea Dogs Home.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

ah heck, i got a photo of colin in thigh high's and high heels

he has a lot of fun at auctions

regardless, a good rule of thumb is to not ask them something you wouldn't want to be asked yourself.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours..."
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                        That sounds terrible lol.
                        It could be fun. Some people have less inhibitions then others and make the whole situation hilarious. Colin is one of those examples.

It was just that it was very obvious that many of the men were very very uncomfortable with the request.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk
                          This probably falls under embarassing, but don't ask the guys to take their shirts off. It got rather uncomfortable at one of the conventions last year when every male actor there was asked to take his shirt off and not by the same female fan.
                          Although this may be common sense, don't ask any female actor to bare skin either. "But [insert male actor here] took off his shirt" is not an acceptable response to asking to see skin, a tattoo, etc.

Originally posted by Rosehawk
                          It was just that it was very obvious that many of the men were very very uncomfortable with the request.
                          The actors are uncomfortable, their spouses/sig others are, and some of the guests may be too. And repeated requests (or even just once if not in good taste) may make the actor rethink coming back the following year.
                          I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
                          Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

taking of shirts ... I agree it's totally insane you don't ask something like that
                            I loved Shank's response though when someone asked : can you take of your shirt
                            shanks: did you ask this to Morena Baccarin ?
                            the person : no ...
                            Shanks : well why should I then!

loved that

Comment

Yes, that did get out of hand in Chicago. A lot of money was raised in Vancouver by several of the actors though. Steve Bacic made $800. Cliff Simon and Carmen Argenziano together pushed it to $1200. After that, I have no idea. But, after that event, it was agreed that it wouldn't happen again. However, a couple of fans obviously didn't get the memo.

Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

I know I've said this here before, but if you have a question that you are honestly unsure of how or if to ask the guest and you have an opportunity to talk to them in private...ask them discreetly if you can approach the subject and have the question handy and ask if it is alright to ask this at the Q&A session.
                                For example, I was told that Carmen Argenziano wasn't really happy about answering questions regarding the Sam/Jack ship but I did have a question that was not offensive or personal or what not, that I wanted to ask him at the Q&A session. I was fortunate enough to have dinner with Carmen (and a few other fans and Don S Davis) the night before the main event so I sat down next to him and asked him if he would mind me asking a question regarding Sam and Jack...I told him that I had the question handy and if he was ok with it I could read it to him and he could tell me yay or nay. He was so lovely and gracious about it and said "Sure honey, go ahead". So I asked the question and he said that he had to get back to me about it tomorrow and he did...at the Q&A the following day, he was more than happy to answer the question.
                                Of course I think that if you are uncomfortable with the question or you feel that it might be crossing the proverbial line...then it might be prudent to not ask it.
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X